Level Caps Are Not Welcome & Here's Why

Imagine playing a game for a year and you still have things to strive for? That’s what gets me dreaming on about no skill caps. It would be nice to have, but I don’t think this would be the right game for it without major changes. I’m not sure if I brought it up in this thread or in another, but I pointed out that the XP gain from missions in the one tree is pointless and a big waste of points due to the level cap. I still believe that should be changed, even if it means adjusting things within that tree to compensate for any imbalance. I also believe some of the specialties are unrewarding and could be more fun, but again some changes would need to be made for balance. I bring these things up because opening all the trees, no matter if it took a month or years to fill up, would cause some serious imbalance. It’s already pretty weird that a maxed character can play alongside with a fresh player. Imagine how quickly enemies would go down with all skills and now imagine such a player joining in on your game. How do you keep things reasonable?

1 Like

Well, one way the balance could be helped is to make the machine AI smarter. Just saying, their kind of dumb, so sure you can take some hits, but you actually need some kind of strategy to win. Another thing that could be done, is, not my most favorite idea, but Guerilla mode might be required for multiplayer. Again, like i said, not my most favorite idea, but its an option. Or, one thing that could be done is the bots might just have more armor.

I think what the devs should or could do is keep the level cap or increase but if they keep the lvl cap then in the event u hit Max they should allow you to refund skill points to put them to another branch of the skill tree so it’s not too op and it’s not limiting either

3 Likes

Yeah, some skills are almost useless, like the tick specialization.

We get that you, personally, don’t like the Engineering specialization (you’ve said that twice now, in quick succession). I, in the other hand, find Engineering specialization useful skill, which can also be improved in the future (by adding other features to it).

Now, when to talk about skills that have little use, without any future development - Commander. It is specialization and it allows you to use Field Radio 6 times, rather than normal 3 times. All you need to do, to get the same end result, is carrying 2x Field Radios with you. Moreover, with 2x Field Radios, you can set two, different spawn locations for yourself.
Of course, Commander is just one example of such “less desired” skills.

You re correct, i did mention the uselessness of the tick specialization in rather quick succession. Ill make sure to keep an eye on that.

But, to answer what you said about the field radios- Yes, a simple way to fix the field radio option is to just take two with you, however, that means it would weigh twice as much. But you are correct, it would have the advantage of being able to spawn somewhere else.

1 Like

Reply moved to proper topic.

//Mod

I agree to the skill point could be increased a little bit but not infinite. Maybe increased to lvl 40 or 50. I’ve just finished making my first character which is a bit of commando build but still wish I had a couple more
Skills and won’t even get my special skill when I cap out

Imagine being unaware of the skill cap for your first playthrough and not leaving yourself capable of picking up a specialization… and then creating a new character for that reason only to find now it will take you much longer because you aren’t getting mission xp anymore.

I actually never really relied on mission xp, a huge battle alone can give you 2-3 base levels.

Well that’s brave of you. I could not go into huge battles without having the skills first. Let’s say most people agree… then this thread would not exist because levels would mean nothing.

Well, player experience mattes a lot more than skills you can unlock.

For example, pro player with 0 skills unlocked is better at combat/surviving than new player with all 30 skills unlocked.

Sure, skills help but it’s the know-how that matters the most.

Sure, but we’re not talking about a pro player here. We’re talking about the new player who went through the game unaware of the skill cap.

Also, using your logic Aesyle, if levels don’t really matter all that much, then why cap them?

Why? Ask that from the devs.

Though, if you’d take out the entire skill tree from the game, game doesn’t break. Instead, it gets (a bit) harder. And without any skills to unlock, we wouldn’t have this topic either. :wink:

A rather chloric response, but there is some logic to it.
But, considering the bots shoot missiles at you, have more armor than you (in general), have infinite ammo, there are more than one of them, the devs could add even more kinds and variants of bots, and the weapons you have actually do less damage than in real life, I doubt that being able to unlock all of the skills, would be game breaking. As you have said, the advantage that the skills give you is negligible. So, if removing them would not be game breaking, then conversely, since from your own mouth the abilities don’t do that much, making all of them available to one character also would not be game breaking.

Since i’ve learned the ins and outs of the game, my know-how of the game helps me a lot more than the char skills i’ve unlocked. I even happen to have one max lvl char, who doesn’t have any Combat skills unlocked what-so-ever: What is your skill build? - #9 by Aesyle
However, that is me and me doesn’t = everybody.

I don’t own rights to GZ and i can’t dictate what comes or what goes (since if i can, well… :smiling_imp: it would be interesting, to say the least). So, if devs have decided that we have skills and we can’t get all at one char, then so be it. I’ve just taken the hand dealt to me and i’ve made best out of it. :slight_smile:

There’s new Boss Man in the helm now (Zach) and perhaps, we’ll see change in feature implementations as well. For one, we have gotten several sneak-peaks thanks to Zach (which were non-existent when Paul was the Boss Man).
Maybe, one day, we’ll also get more skills and higher skill cap. We have to wait and see. :slightly_smiling_face:

there could be a dlc that would raise the level cap along with giving you new gameplay features, I’m thinking olong the lines of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas here because in those games there are add-ons that raise the level cap from the normal (Fallout 3) 21 to 30 and would add more gameplay.

1 Like

Thats not a bad idea, actually. Because some people don’t want the level cap, but others do, so the devs could leave the decision up to the player, and maybe make a little dough at the same time.

Locking levels behind a dlc just does not wit well with me. It is quite literally putting a pay wall in front of making a more powefrul character. People who do not want more skills can just easily not use them. I am speaking purely of a level adding dlc. If it was story it would be slightly different, but would not change my opinion that much. The devs have only locked missions, collectables, himjfall, and 3 US weapons wit DLC. And I praise them for that (other than the weapons). They only lock the things that directly tie into the dlc and it’s story, not anything else.

I should probably put my opinion on level cap here as well. I think the only essential thing is a skill respec. Whether it be earned, or free at any time. A skill cap increase would be cool to have. Though I only see a need for a cap of 36-46, or maybe even 54. But that is about it.

2 Likes