Level Caps Are Not Welcome & Here's Why

Yeah, that is really, really close to what I was thinking. The only difference I had in mind is that the perk would provide something like 75% chance of successful lockpicking, while anybody could increase their lockpicking up to a 25% success rate even without the perk. Someone could then max lockpicking with the combination of choosing the perk and simply by leveling the player.

The way that works is what I had in mind for everything that the game would consider to be a basic skill.

There are probably several ways something like this could be achieved in the design.

“Learn by Doing” is probably the worse way. I don’t think anybody would like that. For example, your lockpicking skill can go up by successfully lockpicking. It’s a set up for mindless grinding.

Another way, which is what I originally proposed, would be that all these basic skills would simply level up along with the player up to a certain point. In order to maximize any skill though, you would need both the player level and the perk.

A third way might be to give players perk points and level points. The level points would be applied to basics and the perk points applied to perks as they are now. This would allow you to pick and choose which of the basics you want to improve first instead of all the skills slowly going up at the same time. Let’s say each basic skill requires 25 level points. If you filled all 25 lockpicking skill points, this gives you the 25% success rate, but again you would still need the perk in order to get that 100% success rate.

A fourth way might be that players have to collect items to level basic skills, like research. Scattered across the map, you might have to find 25 documents about lockpicking which can bring your lockpicking up to a maximum of 25%… but again you still need the perk to get 75% more for the complete 100%. This way is slightly different in that the areas your character excels in is randomly determined.

A fifth way might be to combine the second or third method with the fourth. Maybe the perk gives 50%, the level points up to 25%, research another 25%. This one I personally like the most. In order for any player to max out any skill, they need to apply the perks, they must have played the game a long time, and they must have explored the map fully. All these systems are doing is making it possible for players to improve every aspect of their characters, even if just a little, so that they are not confined to the skill cap and skill trees as much. That’s pretty much all it is, even though it sounds to be very complicated.

1 Like

Personally, that last idea sounds the best to me.

Would love to see a new level cap pretty sure other people would too

Moved to the ‘remove/change level caps’ thread.

//Mod

We need a much higher Level cap for sure don’t want to be a one trick pony want to be able to do it all.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

There is already a lengthy thread about this topic: Level Caps Are Not Welcome & Here's Why

Aaaand merged. Thanks, @knobitobi.

//Mod

1 Like

When will Generation Zero come out w a update on experience levels.
Becuase currently its a waste of my time. Im sure its a waste of everybody’s time as well. I’ve got friends. They all say the same thing. Whats the point of playing when we dont get anymore experience pts?
If Generation Zero isn’t going to update the experience pts then I’m done playing n I will not waste anymore money on this game

Well, if you only play to gain XP then the game is probably not for you. There are lots of things outside gaining levels, and you could always create a second character!

4 Likes

This was brought up on a couple other threads. Basically, the game is designed to be played with 3 other friends, thus the level cap makes it so you all specialize in different things, so you can play as a unit. Thus the level cap. I don’t enjoy that aspect, but it’s more or less understandable.

You could grind to build up your base though, since it gets messed up during the base assaults, there’s always something to rebuild or improve on. You also could improve your storage and join the trading community after getting some nice guns.

1 Like

I can sort of agree, I’d like to have at least level 40 available, but loads of games have a level cap and they are still good or playable.
Stop being salty maby?

1 Like

If only there was a huge thread about this already… Oh wait, there is.

Moving it there. And please, making demands gets you nowhere so please don’t do that.

//Mod

3 Likes