Loot Respawn Settings

Personally, I donā€™t believe this. I know I wouldnā€™t.
Also, I donā€™t see the issue if they did. For them it would just be like before the May-Update.
Or have I misunderstood something ?

First people were complaining about loot respawning every time the game loads, now they complain about loot not respawning fast enough. The only way I see to solve this is to let the players choose.
What would be your suggestion ?

There was discussion on what kinds of loot are common and uncommon, take the adrenaline shots for example. At first they were very common and got nerfed based on the feedback our community gave, making them harder to come across. Health packs are also harder to find since the May update :slight_smile:

An option like you are suggesting encourages people to be lazy in their gameplay and make it easy, and is that bad? Not necessarily, but letā€™s take this logic and apply it to another mechanic in the game. Say users complain that fall damage is too sensitive and want it resolved. They wonā€™t add an option to turn off fall damage because that completely ruins that mechanic in the game, fall damage is an important part of the game. It affects where you can run, climb without dying, and sometimes impacts fighting with machines if you are on the side of a large hill and need to be careful. The point here is that the development team have deemed the loot respawn timer a necessary part of the game which is why it was added. It affects the game in multiple ways that helps make the game a unique experience. Such as being stealthy, stealth is part of the game as you canā€™t win every fight because of the more limited loot.

I agree it can be annoying, but I wouldnā€™t go as far to call it an issue in the game. Avalanche has more important problems that they are working on for GZ such as mission breaking bugs.

We are privileged to have such a kind development team to work with. One thing that a lot of users take for granted is that there is nothing forcing Avalanche to listen to our feedback, this is their game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I said that time ago. In that way everyone happy and they way they want to play it.

The Loot Respawn timer should have targeted Multiplayer Loot and not mess with the Single Player expect of the game. Since the game is heavily PvE based why removed the 4 Standard Health Packs at the Farm (canā€™t recall the name of the farm) on the Beginning Island.

I understand prior to the update that it was an Exploit, but taking it away barely makes the game any more fun if any Solo players donā€™t have any bloody Med-Kits or primarily a good source to find any.

Say what u want to, but if everyone starts completely fresh whether the player is on Xbox One, PS4 or PC in its current state most players may agree to a point.

4 Likes

The 4 packs werenā€™t taken away, items outside of containers are only able to be picked up 1 time. That counts for all your characters

1 Like

Yup. Including the starter weapons on the starter island. Meaning a new character created right now is useless because youā€™ll find no weapons if you already got the 4 ā€œworldā€ weapons on the starter section.

This change was a rather bad idea and really wasnā€™t thought through before implementation.

4 Likes

but with your other characters sharing the same world and safe houses, itā€™s not too hard to create new character and either drop them some weapons or fast travel them to a safe house with a weapon box. as long as the weapon box isnā€™t on a cool down

2 Likes

of course if you are unlucky the box might just have weapon attachments and no weapon

You can absolutely drop stuff to another toon. No issues there. But outside of people who are on the various forums, I can bet not too many people know you can do that. And some who do know consider that ā€œcheatingā€ and donā€™t want to do it at all.

So in the end, these recent changes were still not thought through very well. I said it before. This patch should bear the name Generation Zero: Unforseen Consequences. lol

1 Like

Hey mrjimp, part of this game is applying stealth to your play style. It isnā€™t intended for you to run and kill every machine you see. In the tutorial it even mentions saving ammo by avoiding fights is sometimes the best strategy to move forward. In which case, your math does not apply to this situation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So who decides what played decently is?

At the moment Iā€™m slightly confused about how the respawn of ammo actually works, as I donā€™t time to play long sessions ATM.

I loot an area in Saturday, at the start of a 2 hour session, play for a hour yesterday morning and an hour and a half last night and another hour today.

Today the area is still picked clean and it was well over the 4 hours mentioned elsewhere.

Iā€™ve also left the game sitting in the background (and you do get killed when you do that) and 24 hours later the same area is still empty.

Of course itā€™s possible Iā€™m a bit thick and didnā€™t read things properly but the 4 hour respawn timer doesnā€™t seem to work for me (XBox One)

2 Likes

Itā€™s entirely possible it is a bug. There are some people who have loot boxes that never refill with supplies and they canā€™t play the game any further because of it

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly my problem Nothing spawns ammo. I can idle in the game all I want, thereā€™s no ammo to be found. When I killed stuff, it would drop a measly few rounds, but typically far less than I used killing it. Now Iā€™m out of ammo, out of medpacks, and canā€™t play the game at all. Maybe starting over would work, but Iā€™ll be damned if Iā€™m doing that when Iā€™m at L28 and about 2/3 of the way through the story.

@boston_51 - have the devs actually acknowledged that this is an issue yet? Every time itā€™s been brought up in bug reports or during live streams, itā€™s always been dismissed as being due to the loot timers. Are they actually looking into this at all?

3 Likes

Mine respawns eventually but it isnā€™t anything like 4 hours (which was the time mentioned at the end of May)

I can usually get by by alternating bunkers but sometimes not.

I had assumed 4 hours between game sessions (it wasnā€™t) then simply 4 hours of run time (hence switching to YouTube for a few hours) neither of which seemed to work.

Maybe the machine you play in matters as the code will vary so as mentioned before XBox One-X in my case (but same issue in my sonā€™s One-S)

1 Like

This information provided by Carniv0re is all I have unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face: Obviously it states the tool box loot problem but doesnā€™t seem to specifically state anything about users who have no loot at all. Of course I want to say it is, loot problems are a huge topic since the May update, but I donā€™t have that knowledge

Lucky you. I get nothing. I idled in a safe house for over 5 hours while I was doing other stuff on my other monitor, and everything was still empty, so I know it isnā€™t just respspawn timers.

@boston_51 - Thatā€™s my concern. I didnā€™t watch last weekā€™s live stream, but the previous week, people were trying to tell Graham that all loot boxes were empty always, and he and Matt just dismissed it as loot farmers not waiting for the respawn timers. So I honestly donā€™t think anything is being done as itā€™s not being taken seriously.

2 Likes

If the robots dropped a meaningful amount of loot then the box respawn issue would be lessened

At the moment you need to farm a lot of boxes to get together enough supplies to fight the robots, but excluding rare 5* weapon drops off FNIX Tanks and Harvesters, the return on investment (especially ammo) is poor, forcing players into box farming (the only option), making players very sensitive to box loot rates.

If you could additionally craft, buy or trade (from some kind of NPC or the like) or kill your way to more ammo if would reduce the pressure on this one system to be perfectly balanced

1 Like

I think what you say is true. For the first twenty hours or so I never worked out that ā€œFast Travelā€ was possible (I turned off all ā€œtipsā€ to make it more atmospheric), so I didnā€™t know I could go back, and collected ammunition as I went, and I think there was enough of it. If I ran out of adrenaline shots and had to spawn somewhere, I noticed that there was something worth collecting again, but got all my ammunition going forward. Now Iā€™ve run out, even when I go back. (The first time I went back, I walked it and it took me a couple of hours to do what I went back for, and then regain my position!)

Iā€™d rather that the machines were worth more ammunition as you kill them. After all, if something has been blazing away at you for ten minutes, you kill it and it has three rounds left, does that mean in three rounds time it would have run out of ammunition?

Just suppose that after some minutes of combat a machine you were having trouble killing had to run away to a Harvester to reload, and if you killed it, it would have whatever ammunition on it it hadnā€™t used. It would introduce a different dynamic. You might even be able to follow it and find a Harvesterā€¦

On the other hand, you might have to limit the amount of ammo a player could carry - ammunition is heavy! Oh, well, letā€™s wait for the June updateā€¦

@Fraeddy
I thing that this adjust have to be in separate game mode. Something like deathmatch or skirmish on arena with bunch of options, from ground location to enemy waves types, timer and intense.
(@boston_51
Would be great to see that arena mode features in game, but first need more enemy and weapon types for it. Before acquiring 2x-3x types of robots and weapons in game itll be useless. There is other surcumstances with new robots and other content. Now main game is near balanced to see all robots that we have already, not too much ant not too few. There have to be new locations to place new robots nicely, mixed with old types. And not to mention design hardworks, itll be great work even for big DLC or something.)

But fill main game with loot options feature is more like cheat, you know. May be it good for cheat mode, idk.
Talking about friendly flexible system, the more options the better game. Full control is too complex tool for most players, so it should be additional options in separate submenu in game options section. As it fits to me, so.

I also find the loot respawning to be completely ridiculous and the first time everything respawned I thought it was a bug. It totally killed much of the sense of discovery for me. There is so many things this game does well, and so many things that it does badly, that just remove all sense of immersion. It is very weird.

I also donā€™t see the problem with adding an option since you could still have the 4 hours by default and then you could just increase the time if you wanted. There donā€™t need to be an option to go below 4 hours and then the issue with ā€œcheatingā€ is solved. There done. I would like it to be off or something like 50 hours or something personally. In the best case scenario the loot system would be kind of smart where when it starts to re-spawn loot when you have pretty much emptied 80-90% of the world and starts to respawn in the areas you looted first or just at random so you still have to search around but things might be more scarce now. That would probably be much harder to implement so a slider would be fine.