Map of the GZ world with labelling

For 1:1 scaling, you could split the map into sectors and print individual sectors on e.g A4. And afterwards, assemble the map like a puzzle. :+1:

Just like big billboards are. They aren’t printed on a 10m x 5m paper in one go. They are printed on smaller pieces and then assembled to get one, big picture.

2 Likes

Well yes, I could puzzle the pieces together. But the total map mustn’t be too big, because where would I put it. I am also thinking of a foldable map as one possibility. But I’d rather have one hanging on the wall like a collectable. Call me crazy. :crazy_face:

The digital map is easier for quick reference. I load the map in my graphics program, because I haven’t found a simple and free picture viewer that zooms close to the 1:1 scale. Google drive works, but zooms not nearly to 1:1 scale, Microsoft Photo’s is better that way, but doesn’t allow vertical and horizontal movement with the mouse. Go figure.

I have time. The print shops aren’t open here yet, so I have to wait anyway to see what is possible. But I also like the new island to be included. So there’d that too.

1 Like

I’m using freeware software called: IrfanView (v 4.51) and it zooms-in way past 1:1 scale. I can even see individual pixels, when needed.

Just tested in my InfranView and when holding down right mouse button, i can pan the image where-ever direction i want it.

Give it a check. :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, that works great. I had to install the plugins too. I especially liked that with left mouse button held you select a part of the map and then click that part to zoom out on that selection. Very quick.

1 Like

I’ve been using IrfanView since my WinXP days. :rofl: Still works great, all these years later. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

If I don’t forget, I’ll give it a go on our printer. Wanted to see what it looks like when scaled to fit within 1200 mm width. Should be good to print on banner material I guess.

2 Likes

O cool, I’m curious what the result will be.

I have Canon photo printer and i can print on high-end professional studio finish photo paper, size A4, but i haven’t bought that expensive paper for my printer. 20 sheets is €94. :astonished:

So far, i’ve printed the standard photos, 10x15cm, among other things.

1 Like

I did notice a slight quality loss when zooming in with IrfanView compared to my graphics editor. Also the colors seem harder. But still very good to use.

Found a free graphics editor on my PC called “Paint 3D”, which also zooms all the way to pixel level. Not sure if that is installed with Window 10 though. I certainly did not install it.

By the way, do you know if there exists a completely clear world map, with no icons on it at all? Would be interesting to get it into vector format with all the icons and text…

1 Like

I think there is a clear map, because Artur Meinild used such a map with his online coordinates map. I don’t know how to get it. Edit: O wait I do. Send you an email.

Following up up a question about the colors / looks of the map. I added a adjustment layer and adjusted the color balance. This is just an example.

original:
exampl1

Adjusted
exampl2%20Pre%2C%20midtone%2C%2012%2C-10%2C10

1 Like

Any progress on your printing adventure?

The printer’s been quite busy, and will be for the next few weeks, so not yet sorry to say.

1 Like

Super cool, man! Now all we need is a pronunciation guide. Lol

1 Like

There is already a pronunciation guide for some locations on yt! right here.

1 Like

If I get the time, and with Gysbert’s permission, I could maybe make a version with my coordinates overlaying Gysbert’s labelled maps. Or if anyone wants to use my HTML source, please do so. :blush:

Oh, and a suggestion: Maybe remove the rivals? They’re not really useful in the long term, or for anyone else for that matter. :wink:

1 Like

I am ok with it. :sunglasses:

@Gysbert really great work your map. I appreciate. So fine detailed really impressive work :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Kalle. You have fun with it. :sunglasses:

1 Like