Meusser Hunting Rifle Inverse Bullet Drop

It’s a bit more complicated than that, more specifically, based on what I’ve seen:

• Bots only show up initially once they’re within about 400-500m of a player. Their position is still tracked, but you have to be that close for the initial render.
  • Bots don’t stop being rendered for at least 600m, possibly more. Again, after stopping being rendered, they still have their location tracked, they just don’t visibly render.
  • Lighting effects seem to only shed light reliably within about 400m of a player. IOW, if you get close enough to a bot for it to start being rendered, then back off a bit, it won’t always have the searchlight visibly shedding light.
  • Particle effects (sparks, flames, etc) have a much closer rendering limit, though I’m not sure exactly how far I think it’s less than 100m. Without these, you don’t get visible feedback that you hit the bot, unless of course you kill it. Particle effects from bots dying seem to have a longer render range than those from bots being damaged.

The Meusser and Älgstudsare both seem to be zeroed well beyond that particle effect rendering limit, but I don’t know exactly where. They both feel honestly kind of useless for sniping beyond about 300m though because apparently Sweden has no scopes with good rangefinders. The PVG 50, OTOH, seems to hold true with no perceptible bullet drop or rise no matter what range I use it at (longest shot with it was about 550m at a relay beacon, hit dead center at the point of aim), and the AG 4 and AG 5 are both zeroed at regular combat rifle range (about 100-150m).

2 Likes

This thread has died out since I posted this back in May of 2019, however, I have come back to the game in full force and have gotten most, if not all, of the sniper rifles in the game with various quality optics and magnifications.

Across the board whether it is the Meusser Hunting Rifle, Algstudsare Hunting Rifle, or the Pansarvarnsgevar 90, I am experiencing bullet rise rather than bullet drop; irrelevant to the optic used, if any, and the quality of those optics.

Back when I first posted this bug I knew the game to be rather bug ridden and still to be patching bugs out. At this point in 2020 I can only accept the game as being buggy and must pressure the developers to, at the very least, fix bugs concerning the core gameplay: gunplay and combat. If a game’s core gameplay does not work as intended then something needs to be fixed and fast or the game will die. I have been playing far too much lately despite the persistent bugs and frequent crashes because the core gameplay is fun. I can live with the other bugs and forget about the crashes that reset my map progress, but this one issue will never let me immerse myself in the combat whenever I use a sniper rifle.

Please developers, fix this issue. If any players are reading this and experience this then like this post and get the developers’ attention on this issue.

So here I am several months later hopping back into Generation Zero in preparation for the FNIX DLC and recent patch to difficulty, Guerrilla is insane now where prototype runners are something fear, and I am still encountering inverted bullet drop. Either this or there is a hidden rifle zeroing feature that is sighted way out in the middle of nowhere useful causing these shots to always go high.

In either case, with how difficult Guerrilla is now the need to hit sniper shots the first time you pull the trigger is tremendous because it can mean the different between no first aid kits used to 5 first aid kits used. Please comment below if you are experiencing this issue and with what weapons/attachments. Hopefully we can stockpile enough information about optics and weapons used to help the developers resolve this bug quickly.

1 Like

Inverse bullet drop is still an issue after the FNIX Rising DLC.

1 Like

So the bullet drop is not inversed but set to a far distance.
@Bjorn you mentioned that you system is able to simulate zeroing. Is it possible to let us use this feature? Or at least set the default zero distance to 25 m or so?

That is correct. All weapons have a predefined zero, which means that you will have to aim bellow the target if you are closer than the zero range and above it if you are further away. Rifles typically have a longer zero distance than short range weapons like handguns.

1 Like

Thank you very mutch for the replay and the explanation. So this is close to the reality. I think the rifles in GZ are set to about 300m which is quite far. Probably most players use them between 100-200 m. Do you think it is possible to adjust this zero distance to something like that if it is too complex to make it adjustable for the players?
Probably many players, including me, would be very thankful for this change.

I don’t think any weapon in the game should be zeroed to more than 200 m so if that is not the case we might have a bug. Making zero adjustable by the player is not trivial, but it is something that we might look into if we see that there is a lot of demand for it within the community.

3 Likes

An adjustable zero is in my opinion not necessary. In other games like Battlefield this feature exists but very few players use it. It is probably better to have a fixed zero at a shorter range (like 50 m) and get used to it. So dont waste time into this.
Probably many players use rifles at ranges like Mat here at 9:56:

What would you say, what distance is this? 50-75 meters? It would be really good if you could adjust the zero that such good aimed shots from Mat do hit :wink:

theHunter: CotW has the zeroing and it’s working perfectly. Of course, this would need a proper rangefinder binoculars or scope to go with that.

Ehm… I just have to mention that you could freely adjust your zero in the game “Delta Force” back in 1998, so I’m sure you could work something out if you wanted. :joy:
Or just do 3 preset zero ranges like in COTW.
Or just leave it. Works fine for me as it is. :+1:

If they leave it as it is, I suggest to mention the zero range for each gun. For example it could get mentioned in the gun’s description text.

1 Like

Thanks for your addition to this report. I never felt that the ballistics were off in this game, but hearing that they are fully simulated and are preset to possibly really long range does confirm one of my hypothesis for this issue. I agree with your earlier statement that the zeroing for all rifles should probably be 50 meters and then everyone can get acquainted with the bullet drop from there.

1 Like

To those of you suggesting to zero a rifle at 50 m, look at this:

(This image has nothing to do with GZ, and sorry about the non-metric numbers.)
In this image you can see the bullet’s flight path begins at - 1,5 inches (- 3,5 cm) under the line of aim, this represents the height between the middle of the barrel and the middle of the scope’s reticle. So you see the bullet needs to fly above your line of aim in order to get as far as you want to set your zero, since gravity affects it right out of the muzzle. If the scope and barrel’s lines were perfectly parallel, you see what would happen, right?
A chart like this of course varies a lot, and how much depends on a lot of factors. Simply put, using a high velocity ammunition, and mounting your scope as low as possible, helps to reduce the bullet’s rise mid-way to zero.
In this example you can see that in order to get at 300 yd (275 m) zero, the bullet rise is almost + 5 inches (+ 25 cm) above the line of aim, at roughly 170 yd. Enough to miss a Runner’s fuel tank, wouldn’t you agree? :slight_smile:
@Dantec @Vatruvius

I am not doubting the precise nature of having to account for bullet drop when firing at long range targets. The bullet drop is the whole point. Zeroing the rifle simply adjusts the scope of your rifle to hit targets dead center of the cross hairs at that zeroing distance. Targets further away from the zero distance will fall below the cross hair and thus mil dots in the scope will have to be used. The problem arises when the rifle is zeroed at a long distance like say 300 meters. In this case any target you shoot at closer than 300 meters the shot will land high. Depending on the engagement distance the bullet could rise quite a bit. I would say my average engagement range for runners and hunters right now is about 50-75 meters as anything further than that the bullet “rise” is too drastic for me to consistently account for. It is far easier to adjust for a standard bullet drop than a rise above the cross hair, a drop towards the cross hair, and a drop below the cross hair. When the zeroing distance is at 50 meters, pretty standard for rifles, you only have to account for the bullet drop below the cross hair as the effects of gravity on the bullet in those 50 meters is pretty negligible when talking about rifle rounds.

@NJR87

1 Like

Yes that is how the bullet drop works as i understood. The image showes it pretty good.
I still think it would be better if rifles are zeroed to 50 m.

Hello everyone,

It has been a long while since I last played Generation Zero and I decided to try out some of the new additions and see what changes have been made. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing this infuriating bullet rise issue.

Whatever is the cause of the bullet rise, since there could be multiple causes as discussed earlier, this really frustrates the ever living **** out of me. Either the game needs to incorporate a zeroing feature for scopes or adjust all weapons to zero at 50 meters. This change should be simple enough to make and not take much time to adjust unless the issue is fundamental in how rifle ballistics work in-game.

I am curious how many people are still experiencing this issue. I get the feeling that this only effects a small portion of players and I do not understand why it is so repeatable for those of us that are effected. Restarting saves, downloading updates, and reinstalling the whole game never seems to effect this constant in rifle ballistics, at least for me. Aiming below your target is so unnatural to me and since the bullet rise is more significant at longer range it becomes hysterically difficult to compensate.

Let me know if you still experience this issue and how you think this problem should be addressed. I recently took the latest game survey and noticed one of the feature options we the players could ask the developers to focus on is ballistics so I am curious what that means. Will it fix this particular issue and/or add weapon zeroing? Write down what you think below, I want to see what all of you have to say on this possible new feature.

Vatruvius

I don’t think this is a good idea. Especially rifles and especially sniper rifles are made for targets further away then just 50m. In this case almost a Klaucke would be enough.

I use the rifles as my main weapon, usually the Älgstudsare although it can only carry four rounds. I’m adjusted to the zero of the weapon so that it’s no problem to aim at enemies really far away. But then I have the Marksman specialization active. With weapon sway it is really hard to aim at large distances.

Can’t say I have noticed this, but then again, I only use the Exp. PVG90 and none of the other rifles

A 100 meter zero would be fine too. Whatever zero prevents any perceived bullet rise will work for me. That or the ability to change the zeroing of my rifle/optic would be good too. The Älgstudsare is my preferred rifle as well when I have the ammo for it.

1 Like