New Inventory system complications

After the new inventory was implemented, player is no longer able to freely sort and/or order the items in the inventory nor the plundra. Only method is to load everything to/from plundra or inventory into a container and picking it back up in a convenient order.

If a loaded weapon was stored in plundra the game automatically transfers ALL ammo WITH the picked up weapon and thusly ruining any sorting the user had to apply under the hardship of said new inventory system.

As changing ammo in the new inventory system is about as attractive as two zombies making out and as easy and straightforward as filing taxes for the IRS with a blindfold, two possible solutions would spring to mind:

(a) stop transferring ammo automatically and thus messing up any sorting done by users
or
(b) make inventory sortable (geez, to even have to write that in 2020 [sigh])
as suggested here => https://forum.generationzero.com/t/some-feedback-after-60hrs-ingame/22987

There would also be a a very sexy solution where the game asks player what to do with attachments and/or ammo when a weapon is stored or picked up … but who am I kidding here?

3 Likes

There are cases when auto transferring ammo makes sense to me. Since I do not carry the Granatgevär with me all the time, when I pick it from the Plundra the ammo gets transferred into the players inventory if the weapon had it attached when it was stored there.

But I agree the weapons should stop auto equip ammo when being picked up from the world. This is always annoying.

Stop, you’re killing me :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes indeed, it can make sense under certain circumstances, like the RPG, as you say.

My thoughts are along the line: what do I do during gameplay that costs me the most valuable time. And the answer (for me) is: switching flares, ammo and explosives. These things I do a hundred times per 30 minutes, so I rather have the most common items at the top of the list.

When I pick up an AG4 to shred it, and then I go out into a fight I want to swap FMJs and AP rounds and … GODDARNIT … the bullets are at the end of the list while the hunter is already teabagging me.

Somebody really should invent a shortcut for ammo-switching … something like … dunno … SYSTEM SHOCK 2 … in … dunno … 1999 (for crying out loud)

Same feedback topics merged.

//Mod

Where are you getting that I want the new inventory weight I suggested of 120 getting doubled to 240 instead from me saying I would like to see the weight of ammunition REDUCED? lol The inventory weight limit would still be 120 if such a suggestion is taken, ammo would just weigh LESS, I think you need to look up what reduced means lol Plus you should see how much ammo i carry and stockpile in my storage box, that takes up the bulk of the weight more than anything else especially when considering towards endgame you need to carry a crap load of ammo regardless of flying solo or in co-op when taking on many large enemies as they are still bullet sponges when dealing with FNIX and Apocalypse class machines

STALKER always had a dope inventory system

The ammo in this game already weighs less than irl. I have 96kg for my main chara, and i can carry as much ammo as i need. If i need more, i can simply farm some proto hunters. or get more from storage. The amount of inventory, and storage we have now is enough. Plus you can take a character and put all the stuff you want on them. Just get a level 1, and put 1000kg of ammo on them, and switch to your main. You can have pretty much infinite storage.

Edit: On second thought maybe a boost of 30kg-50kg would be good.

lol saw that edit xD

You need more storage for Plundra and game?

Think of it this way, why is it the personal inventory has a tab for everything including crafting resources yet such a tab is not present in the storage box as the developers saw fit to give resources it’s own separate storage with a higher weight limit capacity? because they know their new system is flawed and needs improvement. so how about this instead, give weapons (that would include both primary and sidearms) and attachments it’s own storage, same weight limit as resources 250 units, same with ammo and the same with equipment, no weight reduction of any items, but make such storage containers personal, not shared between characters, keep the current storage box for that and rename it community storage, for any items you want to give to other characters you make and as MarkNcheese42 now seems to agree, give the inventory weight limit a boost, now what he suggested is more than what I had suggested lol, I was talking just an increase of 24 lol but 30-50 units more could work as well. And ffs and yes I know that this bit is slightly off topic yet at the same time still semi relevant to what I’m talking about lol make each characters mission, collectible and challenge progress separate from each other. When I make another character I want to be able to start from the beginning like my main did, not have access to all the same safe houses unlocked and completed already because my new character isn’t playing alongside my main so that makes zero sense. ends slightly off topic rant/two cents as he is out of breath there lol

The crafting storage was more because the RNG for materials were very high post Alpine Unrest. They wanted to push the feature, so knew there would be a higher ratio of crafting materials to inventory pick ups so bulked out this storage.

Ironically, they did actually mention additional storage coming with the update and DLC, but didn’t make the cut from the patch notes provided. To boil it down, yes storage is extremely inconsistent, along with item weight.

The restart character option is possible ( as in base game 0 ) but would recommend you drop what you want to keep to a friend before you delete your save ans start again.

I’m not talking about deleting my main and starting again i mean when you make additional characters after the main that their progress in terms of story, missions, collectibles and challenges be separate, not shared because as it stands all characters share everything, mission progress, collectibles, challenges, etc. only difference is all additional characters you make after your main have to level up by farming enemies for EXP

1 Like

Ah I see your angle now - yes that has been the achilles heel of this game since day one. Tracking issues from your main, that bricks every other character and story progression.

I would like to request a system that has both the old and new system mixed up.

Let me explain:
The old system was for me MUCH better.
Why?
Well I could sort things as I felt needed.
Guns by guns/rifles by rifles (both based on damage), ammo was sorted, health stuff was sorted, and stayed sorted.
The current system is not bad, but a horrible mess still.
And even then I “sort it out”, when I get back to the dang box, it all got unsorted again.
Being autistic, and thus with an extreme “need” for sorting, this system drives me up the wall.
So: I hereby ask for a system based on the current system, but which allows us to actually SORT things out.

Furthermore: When we drop weapons with attachments in the box, these very often get unattached, and when I jump into my attachments, it’s BLOODY hard to see which ones that are attached, and which not.
Often leading into problems for me.

For this, I would request a SEPARATE Gun Closet!
That’s right, a separate system where we can store a certain amount of weapons WITH attachments, not connected to Das Box.
If only to prevent stuff from happening with the “self owned and kept weapons”.
I would suggest the Gun Closet would have 19 “Gold Slots” (for the hoarders) and 8 Exp Slots.
Each weapon would take 1 slot no matter the attachments.
Thus it would not be weight based but amount based.

Per new weapon/class (thus example a new pistol (Ruger for instance) would get us a new Gold Slot.
An Exp Moller added would get us a new Exp slot.

Thoughts?

Reply moved to active topic.

//Mod

1 Like

Thank you very much, miss!!!
Most appreciated.

1 Like

I know how little the community usually influences the development of a game, but I’ll post this anyways. I’m a newbie and may be wrong about some things, so forgive me if I get anything wrong. Also sorry if these have been discussed in the past. But I have a bunch of things to say, so I’ll group them together here.

Coming from The Divison 2, I feel there’s features that should obviously exist to improve the inventory experience in the game.

• Comparing weapons
    In The Division the stats of every weapon are always compared to your equipped weapon, so you always know if it’s better or worse.
    I know GZ has a different weapon system, and two primary weapon slots, but still, being able to compare individual aspects of the weapons in any way would, I believe, be a very welcome improvement. This point also leads into…

• Show us the numbers
    The progress bars are a pointless obfuscation. E.g. upgrading my pistols magazine, you see this:
    What’s the actual size of the mag? Is it better or worse than what I have now? Seeing actual values would make the experience so much better, we love comparing numbers. It would be especially useful combined with…

• Mark as junk, pick up as junk, recycle all junk
    Being able to pick up weak weapons as junk would, I believe, be a great addition, especially since there’s recycling in the game, much like The Division’s deconstrution. You’d be able to pick up weak weapons as junk and forget about them, recycling them when you get to a safehouse. Now I have to browse the inventory and remember which weapons I intended to recycle.

• Double click to equip a weapon
    Even though The Division only has one primary weapon slot, you somehow don’t care, because swapping weapons is so fast. Maybe I just missed the shortcut to quickly equip a weapon, but right now assigning weapons to a slot by clicking around feels really slow, not to mention I can’t see what weapon I’m replacing. I’m equipping a shotgun… so what’s in the first slot again? I need to hover the bottom slot to see what’s in the first slot. Maybe my personal pet peeve, but I always double check what weapon I’m replacing, and it adds to how slot the equipping feels.

• Item wheel
    Why are the items arranged in a wheel if there’s no shortcut to equip them directionally?
    I binded them to my NumPad, which is better than the number row, but still not ideal. Let’s take fallout 4. By pressing F+D you equip the pistol.
    And you can have more than one level, solving the keybindings for items. Press F+D+D to select the second item on the right, F+A+A+A to select the third on the left, etc. Unless it’s intentional that we can only have four items equipped of course. (Which then really frustrates me, because there’s like 4 types of medpacks.)
    If you insist on the current system, can we at the very least use the entire number row, like in Escape from Tarkov?

I love the game, but I feel the inventory experience could be so much better.

I reference other games, but I admit I haven’t played any other Avalanche Studios Group games, and I’d love to know if the inventory in any of the Hunter games for example are better.

Thanks for reading. I’ll be happy to correct my opinion on any of these things, should I be wrong about my assumptions.

2 Likes

There is just one aspect of what you posted and compared to, that really does not make sense here.

Weapons stats.
There is really no need to compare them.
Each weapon higher Tier is better than the previous tier.
And there are not that many weapons types, so it´s really not needed a compare function, that function makes sense in games where you have more than 40 weapons like Ghost Recon Wildlands, The division and games where you can buy many weapons and sometimes the same quality weapons have different statistics like in Dead Island or Dying light.

I do agree with the rest.

In the case you dont know how it works

From worst to best

• Gray (worst)
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Purple
  • Yellow (best)
2 Likes

Yeah we need these features.

Same feature request topics merged.

//Mod