NFT in video games

Is Epic really pushing it though? I mean… They said they are not blocking publishers who want to have NFT in their game, but that’s all they said, AFAIK. :thinking:

You are right, I was pushing it too far what Epic concerns.

But first at 27 sep. 2021 Tim Sweeney / Epic tweeted:

We aren’t touching NFTs as the whole field is currently tangled up with an intractable mix of scams, interesting decentralized tech foundations, and scams.

Then on 16 okt. 2021 Tim Sweeney / Epic tweeted:

Epic Games Store will welcome games that make use of blockchain tech provided they follow the relevant laws, disclose their terms, and are age-rated by an appropriate group. Though Epic's not using crypto in our games, we welcome innovation in the areas of technology and finance.

This because Steam announced that they would not allows games that uses blockchain technology.

I don’t really want it at all.

In fact I think NFT’s are dumb.
Just doing some michaeling as they say.

I still have no idea what michaeling really mean. I feel like it’s another of those urban dictionary entry which is fake. :stuck_out_tongue:

So you feel NFTs are dumb, but good for GZ.
Where I agree they are dumb to add into games, I don’t think they would be good for GZ or any game.

GZ has to lock houses to keep the game playable on consoles. Adding unnecessary NFT’s would put even more stress on playability and future additions to the game for consoles.

yeah I did say that

But in my defense I was michaeling

Good talk :+1:

No, not really. I could not care less.

What happens to your NFT when the game servers shut down and you no longer have access to said asset? Also you realize NFT’s as a whole are a scam ment for money laundering. It’s like the digital version of the Modern Art world.

It’s why you do a michaeling

1 Like

what’s wrong with modern art?

This is my problem with modern art.

It’s always the lowest effort peices that go for big bucks. I might as well eat a variety of food coloring and shit on a canvas and call it modern art. It would probably sadly sell.

Still back to original point. What happens when the game/company no longer exists? Did you pay hundreads or thousands of dollars for something you no longer have access to?

Then do it and stop talking about it
Smhmh.

NFT in video games, we will absolutely start to see more of in the future! There’s money to be made there and studios can be creative with what they mint tokens of. There might also even be value in it for the player :wink:

NFT of video games, however, that’s something interesting! Imagine being able to mint an NFT of one of your old digital games and resell it or trade it. I want to see that.

3 Likes

I think one of the main argument from Robot Cache to customers is/was that they would be able to trade or resell their old games because the storefront is based on the blockchain technology.

What do “mint” and “mint tokens of” mean?

I think that ‘mint’ (verb) here means “making / creating”. So making tokens.
Coins and medals are made in a Mint (factory) and the act of making them is minting.

I can’t think of any additional value of NFTs in games to that what games provide anyway.
Unique items? Let the player add a custom string as an overlay. This can be done WITHOUT NFTs.

In my mind NFTs are just a trend for game companies to squeeze even more money out of the player for something that can be done basically as a standard in-game-feature. Basically the same thing as randomized microtransactions just with a new (and even more wasteful) mechanic.

I fought against randomized microtransactions and I will fight against NFTs also. I want my games to be an experience a thing where I can flee from the world to. I don’t need capitalization mechanics in games too. That is what the world is for and I don’t mind that being a part of the world.

8 Likes

I wish there was protection for artists whose work gets turned into NFTs without their permission. I wonder when this feature will be implemented.

1 Like

Maybe he simply meant that NFT has the potential to give more financial freedom to developers because it might free them from middlemen like the existing storefronts. Such gained freedom would probably translates into more development time and bigger workforces, which also means more game features.

If a developer want to sell and track cosmetic items without relying on a third party like Steam, maybe the blockchain has the potential to free them from third parties. I don’t buy cosmetics, but it’s obvious that some people are into them. :man_shrugging::laughing:

1 Like