Östertörn Turistbyrå (*spoilers*)

Before the machines took over Östertörn, it was a popular place for holidaymakers from all over northern Europe. Tourists came to hike and camp in the vast forests and mountain regions enjoying the Allemansrätten, to fish for trouts and salmons in the lakes, rivers and costal regions, to enjoy the idyllic atmosphere of the rural villages with exciting Swedish cuisine made from local agricultural produce, or simply just to relax and let time pass in a wooden cottage near the water.

The Östertörn Turistbyrå would always be happy to point out all the wonderful sights of the islands, and in this thread we’ll try to collect information of all the hidden places that you wouldn’t come across unless you search for them.

I’ve started this thread because after I completed all the missions and began to casually criss-cross the map to explore the world, I found a lot of interesting places, that was more or less hidden in plain sight. It is not intended to be a walk-through, but I’m sure I’ve missed a lot of places worth seeing so please share your favorite hidden places here. Please add location, a brief description an perhaps a picture.

3 Likes

If you are out hiking between Alby Church and Mockfjard lake and you need a place to camp for the night, why not visit Jærvhålan? There is no easy access so some climbing skills are required.

3 Likes

If you are interested in visiting military installations you path should take you to the decommisioned uboat facility west of Norrmyra Artillery base. Follow the trail along the northern shore towards Nillsons Marinbygg and when you pass the small bunker follow the coast line to find the entry near the beach.

6 Likes

You notice a weathered and torn brochure in the wreckage of a Runner. Why would it pick this up…?

‘Don’t forget to visit the Archipelago of Östertörn! Enjoy the salty sprays of the sea, heavy winds that’ll demolish your flimsy umbrella in seconds and enough rain to make you want for a vacation in warmer climates next season. And don’t forget your chance to eat Surströmming, a dish that less of 1% of Scandinavia actually enjoys! Visit the Archipelago today!’

2 Likes

Sweden has mined the ground for thousand of years and you will find iron, copper and gold in the underground. If you visit the Annagruva mine you should remember to explore the nearby caves just north of the desolated mine. Be sure to wear proper safety equipment.

4 Likes

During the last ice age, Östertörn was covered in a several hundred meters thick ice sheet. As the glaciers receded the melting ice formed deep ravines in the landscape. You will still find these ravines today, and a fine walk through such a ravine starts south of Klinte, Follow the ravine southeast underneath several bridges on the way to the dam. Please note that a military compound is situated behind the dam, and only Swedish nationals are allowed access to this area. Please respect that or army personel might retain you for questioning.

1 Like

Okay what there are mines actually in the game? And i mean the digging mines not the blowing up type of mines

You’ll find plenty of caves and some dig sites but the only accessible mine I can recall is a safehouse. And it is not big. I hope the devs will open up some real mines in future releases.

oh okay I would be down to go into a mine system with robots lurking down there. And maybe if you take the right paths they can reward us with some loot.

The Kilslagen mountain region is an impressive natural reserve with varied wildlife and magnificient viewpoints. If you stop for lunch at Hjalmars Stuga you should not miss their famous blueberry soup and wafers with sour cream. Northwest of Hjalmars Stuga you will find Kilslagen Canyon, an impressive gorge running in the east/west direction connecting the two sides of the mountain. In earlier days, this was an important route for herding cattle to the market in Klinte and at night, marauders would occasionally attack travellers and relieve them from their possessions … and sometimes even their lives. It is said that their ghosts are doomed to roam the gorge for all eternity, so be careful when venturing into the canyon after dark.

2 Likes

Deep in Kilsberget forest north of Jägarstugan you may find a stone stairway believed to be a part of an ancient and now gone structure. The function of the stairs are surrounded with superstition and myth, and they might have been part of some pagan Swedish rituals related to solstice. It should only be visited with a guide and it is strongly advised not to climb the stairs.

6 Likes

A mysterous voice in the wind that blows through the pinetrees whispers, urging you to climb the steps…

2 Likes

It is a well known fact amongst art critics that René Francois Ghislain Magrittes Swedish period was initiated by his visit to Östertörn in the late fifties. His masterpiece “Les Idées Claires” from 1958 was directly inspired by the floating rock on the east side of Tylöveden. This rock is one of the finest wonders of the world, and the University in Lund has a entire department of Physicists specialized in quantum mechanics assigned to study this magnificent phenomena.

6 Likes

I’d really love to see this but can’t seem to find it. Running around the Kilsberget summit for a while now. The area is vast.

EDIT: It would be great if those sights had a map or coordinates attached! I would love to visit them, highly appreciate the hiking tips! :slight_smile:

I’ll add coordinates this weekend :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That would be awesome!

Where is Tylöveden, btw? A search function for the map would be great, as well.

EDIT: A not so small red circle on a map screenshot would do. That you have a little bit of searching to do.

If I recall correctly it is southwest of Lennarts Marin ( next to the southmost of the eastern islands). Look for a military storage bunker. The floating rock is nearby. :balloon:

1 Like

I intentional didn’t want these tips to be completed give-aways for that reason. But it shouldn’t be too hard either. I’ll figure out something. And the stairs are particularly hard to find.

I perfectly understand. Much appreciated! :heart:

Hey, I did find the stairs by accident! :smiley:

The floating rock is next on my list, will try it without help at first.

EDIT: It is, indeed, a miracle. :slight_smile:

1 Like