Pansargevär 50 under powered?

The Pansargevär 50 is fairly strange. It doesn’t seem to do much damage or precision is very low. I guess the damage is low because I use a 4 star version togther with a 5 star sight

Snipping from Arkeltorp lighthouse with it doesn’t really work. Can also be that the railing is a solid object, stopping the bullets from hitting the target.

The Pansargevär is only useful for taking out beacons.

6 Likes

Agree. In my opinion, it is too weak and needs a buff.

5 Likes

I agree, everytime I fire it I feel like I’m wasting bullets. It takes down most of the smaller robots with 1 shot, but so does most of the weapons if you hit in the right place(5 star hunting rifles are better for that since you can use a silencer on them).

Just feels weird that it’s faster to take out a big robot with an SMG than the 50 cal sniper from a safe distance, hitting their soft spots.

6 Likes

I agree that it felt massively underpowered but I was satisfied with its rate of fire and reload animation.

3 Likes

Totally agree too. You’d think that using an AP round with what’s essentially an anti-material rifle would deal some serious damage, so I too was quite disappointed once I found it and it’s damage was far less than anticipated. The one thing I have found it useful for though is literally disarming the robots, especially Hunters, in a couple of shots - works well on the weapons systems of the Tank too. Beyond that, it’s a rather anticlimactic weapon sadly.

Either that or we’re all terrible shots haha.

4 Likes

The .50 BMG has a muzzle energy in excess of 13,000 ft lbs.

The .243 has a muzzle energy of about 2,000 ft lbs.

Yet, they are similar in this game. Fix the .50, or just drop it.

5 Likes

It one-shots a Saab at least. Guess the bots aren’t made by Saab.

Personally I more or less stopped using it, as non-static things on longer ranges, without a co.op player closer to the target seems to be a bit odd.
Even as we tried 400+ meter shots close to each other, and know the drop, some things just simply doesn’t care about being shot at from ~250+ meters, or even less at times. (one used the left tech tree’s first skill to see type and range (and lack of damage or even bullets hitting/missing the target))

I usually play as a sniper where possible. But it’s not my sting in this one. I have fun with other weapons instead, or avoiding combat and just sneak around and loot.

2 Likes

I have had more luck getting blue sparks with the assult rifles than the Pvg .50. Something is wrong with it.

3 Likes

The .50 cal one-shots an orange hunter at least… But more then a full gold mag for a FNIX hunter (18 bullets)

1 Like

The devs are well aware of this issue and I think are looking into it.

I, for one, surely hope so.
The PVG90 feels very anemic and underpowered. And I recall to have read somewhere that it was buffed a few patches ago.

However, it took me 2 shots to take out a Seeker and multiple ones to kill a FNIX Runner…
I had expected it to atleast oneshot Seekers and Runners of any type.
And 2 or 3-shot Hunters of any type.

I can not imagine any machine in this game not being severely damaged after even receiving 1 round of .50BMG to their central parts.
Let alone being able to function properly after that…

But that is just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree 100% - and worth a link to this video I watched not too long ago. The money shot is @ 9.00

At 100m, a .50 Cal FMJ would go through a runner like butter considering what it does in real life to an Atlas Stone. the x12 sight as well never feels solid and consistent either while you hold your breath always a little loose when you let the round out.

1 Like

Pretty cool video. I found this one :grin:
At about 5:45 you can see what I expect to see when I shoot a Tank in his forhead with the .50 cal with AP rounds.

1 Like

It’s so weak for game balance.

I wouldn’t mind a much lower drop rate of the ammo for plausible damage. This way the balancing would still be ok.

1 Like

The devs said recently they’re looking into Pansargevär 90 for the next patch, will be interesting to see what they’ve cooked up. Balancing it is a tough nut to crack.

3 Likes

Please don’t compare concrete and some sort of cast iron to proper armor plate.

Check this video:

1 Like

Very good shout, I’d take half the ammo for double the damage. Surprising hows there is not a skill perk for sniper to hold breath for longer / improved accuracy for range.

1 Like

Hm, I didn’t know that armor plates are that tough. Thanks for the video. Than maybe the forhead plate should be able to withstand a direct hit. Or at least the military and FNIX tier ones.

While the .50 cal is a modern and very efficient weapon, basically rifle or MMG calibre A/T weapons are pretty useless against anything more than light armour. In WWII (the era I know best) they could take out early war light tanks and tankettes and later war armoured cars but nothing much more than that unless you were very lucky or a very good shot and hit something critical to the tanks weapons systems such as optics or a vital suspension component.

Even so I think the .50 is too weak in the game. I hear than in the early versions though it was too powerful and was later nerfed in one of the patches. To compensate the devs made ammo more plentiful.

To me though, the tank and harvester don’t feel right in the game. They are not manouverable enough to be effective weapons systems - a wheeled or tracked robotic AFV would be a more sound and useful design, and a tank can be killed by two or three dozen buckshot rounds which is just silly.

I agree that a .50 should one shot a runner anywhere unless the game universe has some unknown ceramic armour involved or something like that. Hitting a hunter on a leg joint should also put it down and a face shot should kill it.

Game balance is a very difficult thing to achieve for dev teams in games like these where immersion has to be balanced with the kinds of people who play them some of whom are very knowledgeable about weapons.

2 Likes