Random freezes on PS4 during Reaper fights

This issue does not fit the description of a similar issue: Crash when reaper does gas/explosion attack

Platform:
PS4

Description:
When engaging the Reaper almost every time the game freezes.

Steps To Reproduce:
Engage the Reaper in single player mode (on PS4).

Images / Videos:

Specifications:
The game also freezes when the fight has just started (could mean that it is not a memory problem). The freeze also happens randomly, as the screenshots show. The screenshot without the Reaper in view even happened a minute after engagement. Only one of those shows that Reaper is initiating a gas/explosion attack.

I don’t think it’s relevant but the Reaper I’m fighting is the first one that spawned. I also didn’t complete all FNIX missions.

Hope this helps.

Also on PS4, do you have an SSD drive or the older one ? I noticed a huge improvement since I put an SSD in. Not difficult

I don’t see why it would be relevant whether a PS4 has an SSD. It is not a requirement to be able to play the game is it?

Why would anyone even suggest to fix a software issue by swapping hardware components? It doesn’t make much sense to me.

I cleared my cache and re synced the profile every time I play.

Also, don’t leave your game in standby mode - always quit out.

I also found, that travelling to a safe house near to the reaper and travelling to it is a lot more stable than a fast travel straight to it. I had one crash with a Reaper, and has been perfect since I did the above.

The loading speed of the PS4 is really slow without the upgrade , the system especially the hardrive is OLD technology and GZ is full of graphics and tons of action that the OLD system was not designed to handle. You asked for reasons why you are crashing. I gave you one from my experience. Up to you what you do.

SSD’s are getting more mainstream, and cheaper. I can strongly recommend getting one for newer games.

1 Like

I got mine 10 months ago, made a huge difference in Destiny 2 and Anthem, both have open worlds like GZ.

As I said:

All of these suggestions to alter the hardware of a PS4 are completely irrelevant. GZ is not supposed to be unplayable on PS4, irrespective whether it is a Pro, whether it has an SSD or an HDD.

Otherwise the cover or disk which I bought would have stated those requirements, so I wouldn’t be buying a game which is unplayable on my PS4. This also means that Avalanche Studios is binded to make shure that any update would not make it unplayable on any PS4.

By the way, it would still be nothing more than a software issue. If for any reason the game got heavier then development should counter any potential hardware issues on PS4 consoles, by writing the necessary code to dynamically adjust graphics to specifications.

I don’t even even think it has anything to do with hardware requirements.

Today I managed to destroy the reaper without any problems. I also noticed that a system update for ps4 was finished dowmloading an half an hour after I got my last freeze. I don’t know if it’s related. But if the next reaper spawns and there are no freezes anymore that would probably the cause of the problem. Of course that wouldn’t be an issue for Avalanche to fix as it is related to PS4 solely.

I’ll keep this updated.

this is a great point , if you have the original requirements of hardware for a game when you purchase it , why should it be unplayable later, you have payed for it.

1. updating games can often need higher requirements.
  2. is it fair ? , consumers want more updates and improvements

the best solution imho is to allow people to have access to the (new) or (original purchased) version of the game. this way they have the choice.
what are your thoughts ?

The game got updated . More content badder bosses , more stuff for the system to handle. Complain all you want but if you chose not to update your gaming system then to handle the new content, it does not seem to me that you have anyone you can legitimately blame for your situation. I will certainly not blame Avalanche for the new rival boss. I just love what they did and most players agree. If there was no new hardware that could handle the new update then we could legit have a case to file a grievance with Avalanche .

2 Likes

Defeated the Reaper a couple of times since the last time. No freezes for three times in a row.

So it might actually be related to the download of the PS4 update. It’s reasonable to think that this process is perhaps straining the HDD just enough so GZ is not able to run at minimum capacity.

This can be closed. I’m labeling it as a false alarm.

As I was trying to point out the problem is not related to hardware specifics on PS4, neither should it ever be. So I strongly disagree with your first assertion.

As to your suggestion, it’s a non-existing solution to a non-existing problem.

That said, it would certainly be nice to have all kinds of versions of the game, all fitted to anyone’s needs. But the chance that SR would ever entertain the idea - investing an incredible amount of man-hours for such an enterprise - is virtually nil. I wouldn’t have any aspirations.

This can be closed.