Runestones - Translation, interpretation and discussion

Nicley done! :hushed::grinning:

I see now that I have made a spelling mistake in the translation with the last letter in the word “liv”. :flushed:
But there is no Swedish word “liw”, so I guess that is also a mistake from the designer who made the inscription :grimacing:

My old partially done translation on Gudlögs stenar with the correct translation of the rune in “gerliw”. Sorry :grimacing:

EDIT: I almost forgot to add that the carvers used • or × as space between the runes.

1 Like

That is very interesting, I hope the Dev:s reveal more in the future and that name is a potentialy future lore.:thinking:
And I hope for a follow up quest on the book that Viviane had with her to Gudlögs stenar.

I am from now on going to call all the stones Smed stenarna (The Blacksmith Stones or for short The Smith Stones) :hugs:
What do you all think?

1 Like

Well, I think that the blacksmith is just a metaphor for Machine builder, and with it is Svante von Ulmer meant.

3 Likes

GZ lore wise, Ulmer didn’t build any machine. It was Fredrik Holberg who oversaw the construction of Prototype and Military class of machines. And after that, it was FNIX who constructed FNIX and Apocalypse class of machines.

I always thought that Von Ulmer was the scientist working on brain to machine interface, and created an autonomous self learning machine (FNIX), and by doing so is the one who gave “life” to the machine.

Your other statements are true, except the quoted one.

While Ulmer volunteered to the surgery to connect his brain to the computer; it was Veronika who created the FNIX code and it was Dr. Hakan Pettersson with Ingrid who performed the surgery on Ulmer.

Ulmer alone isn’t FNIX. What FNIX is, is: Ulmer brain + Protozoan + FOA Unix-like system.

Further reading about GZ lore here: Generation Zero story timeline

1 Like

Who do you think is meant in the runic inscription with the blacksmith who gives life to the machines, if not Von Ulmer who was dying and volunteered to have his brain connected ? It seems to me that his human brain gives life to the machine. Or is the blacksmith just a metaphor for the total package “Ulmer brain + Protozoan + FOA Unix-like system”?

Wouldn’t surprise me though if ”liv” (=life) was spelled ”liw” sometime in the past.

More like this.

Unless it refers to Holberg; who 1st came up with the idea of bunker-stationed pilots controlling the machines, hired Ulmer and Ingrid to develop brain-machine interface and also developed and manufactured Prototype and Military class of machines.

Without Holberg, none of this would’ve happened. But without Ulmer; machines were there, FNIX code was there (thanks to Veronika), EBBA interface was there. Only the direct control to machines was missing.

1 Like

I very much like “the Wrath of the Blacksmith shall”.
Wy, it sounds more linguistically correct IN ENGLISH for that early era.

I mean just read a book of Shakespeare.
Now, why anyone would want to shake pears… is beyond me.

3 Likes

@Xogroroth :joy::joy::joy: Oh my god thanks for the guffaw…

1 Like

Think about it: in old stories, they do not say: You’ll feel the anger of the gods.
They rather would speak like: The Wrath of the Gods shall rain upon thy carcasses, by thunderous storms of fire and brimstone!"
The capitols in wrath and Gods is to pronounce these words in the text above, btw, emphesizing on their speech/writing behaviour.
No?

1 Like

@FilthyLittleGodPS4 Welcome, sir. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know that game artists, at least the few I know, like to throw some extra work and secret details to texture files (still haven’t found any dickbutts from the game /* I’m a bit disappointed */) and I wouldn’t hold my breath with any secret meanings for that smmasmaa part. Might be just some filler and/or mischievous curveball from art dept.

1 Like

So if it is a mischievous curveball, maybe we need a mischievous solution.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1. Let me take the letters of SMMASMAA.
  2. I see 3 A’s 3 M’s and 2 S’s.
  3. Letters and numbers will not do, so I change the numbers to roman numerals
  4. Now I have all letters aiii miii sii.
  5. Now I convert aiii miii sii to all numbers according to their letter value a=1 i=9 m=13 s=19
  6. So aiii miii sii becomes 1999 13999 1999
  7. Next comes the hard bit. I took the number sequence 1999139991999 and placed mathematical operators between every number which gives the meaning of Smmasmaa.
  8. (((1*9/9+9)*13/9+9)*9+19-9)*9 = 1989 :eyes:
2 Likes

waits for someone else to do the math

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

= 900

(It’s easy, just use Win built-in calculator. :wink:)

Though, what i’m unsure about is; by what basis those mathematical operators were added between the numbers? :thinking: It could very well be: 19 * { 9 - 9 / [13 + 9 * 9 - 9 / (19 + 9 * 9 ) ] } = ?. Or any other combination. Here, i think it’s wild goose chase by trying to dechiper the “smmasmaa” via mathematical formula.

First, the answer is not 900, I added more brackets to avoid getting different answers. ((((((((1*9)/9)+9)*13)/9)+9)*9)+19-9)*9= 1989

So I added operators to get 1989, a significant year in GZ. But the whole thing is a joke of course.

1 Like

Helldriver, and others you might also like this, not specific about runes but interesting things about vikings. https://www.britishmuseum.org/vikings-live

2 Likes

Somehow, yesterday, i did the formula twice and got 900 as a result, twice. :thinking:

Today, writing down calculations, i didn’t get 900 at all. Instead, i got close to your result but not the same one either.

Calculations

(((1*9/9+9)*13/9+9)*9+19-9)*9
(((9/9+9)*13/9+9)*9+19-9)*9
(((1+9)*13/9+9)*9+19-9)*9
(((10)*13/9+9)*9+19-9)*9
((130/9+9)*9+19-9)*9
((14.444+9)*9+19-9)*9
((23.444)*9+19-9)*9
(210.996+19-9)*9
(229.996-9)*9
(220.996)*9

1 Like