Runestones - Translation, interpretation and discussion

Hello, I decided to create this new topic dedicated to the runestones and the discussion about them.
(The discussions are in two topic, felt to gather it all in one single topic.)

So far all of the words of these Nostradamus runestones are fully translated, except this one:
Smmasmmaa

All the runestone have the same carvings:

3 Likes

That’s really good that you create a new topic so we are not in danger to go off topic. :+1:

1 Like

As @Aesyle mentioned, Viviane tried to decipher the stone at Gudlögs stenar. Hope that might be clue.

Yep, I felt that it was better this way, and as you said that we don’t run the risk to go off topic :grin:

For those who are intrested in learning about the runes and carving:
Elder Futhark Runes
Younger Futhark Runes

Kalle the runestone carver (OBS! Site is on Swedish :grimacing:)
Runristare (Rune carver)

2 Likes

Thanks for that very interresting links. Don’t worry that the runcarver page is on swedish. For that there where some good translator programms and learning a little swedish is nice. It’s just amazing that this game has a lot of interesting things to say about Sweden :+1: :smiley:

Kind of expanding on Helldiver’s idea for ᛋᛗᛗᚨᛋᛗᚨᚨ (smmasmaa) :

The rune carver could have messed up and instead of “ᛋᛗᛗ” (SMM) and he should have carved “ᛋᛖᛗ” (SEM). Asmaa could be the name of the blacksmith.

ᛞᛖᚾ ᛞᚨᚷ ᛋᚴᚨᛚᛚ ᚴᛟᛗᛗᚨ ᛞᚨ ᛋᛖᛗ ᚨᛋᛗᚨᚨ ᛋᛗᛖᛞᛖᚾᛋ ᛁᛚᛋᚴᚨ ᚷᛖᚱ ᛚᛁᚡ ᚨᛏ ᛗᛖᛏᚨᛚᛚᛖᚾ
Den dag skall komma da sem Asmaa smedens ilska ger liv at metallen.
The day will come on which Asmaa the blacksmith’s anger gives life to the metal

Now if Asmaa the blacksmith exists in Swedish cultural sagas, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Viviane’s decipher isn’t just about the runes but also about a prophecy she read from the old book. My guess is that there were runes written in the old book as well and the stone helped her to make sense what that old book talked about.

Edit:
Mission item screen too (easier to look it from here than looking it from another topic).

Is it possible that the’s error in the “asmaa” as well and it’s not “asmaa” but instead “asdaa” or “asdar”? E.g:
Den dag skall komma da sem asdar smedens ilska ger liv at metallen.

I don’t speak Swedish and got no clue if “asdaa” or “asdar” are real Swedish words. Though, when entering both words in the sentence, Google Translate gives the same result:
The day will come when the wrath of the blacksmith gives life to the metal.

1 Like

That is an interesting idea. When I let the both words away so that i have the sentence
Den dag skall komma da smedens ilska ger liv at metallen.
Then i get in Translation.
They day will come when the blacksmith Anger gives live to the metal

Den dag skall komma da hammarsmedens ilska ger liv at metallen.

I played a little around with the Word smmasmaa to give the sentence sense. What if this is an ancient Form of nordic language. I have found a translator what translates words in old nordic language. I came across the word for hammer (hamarr) as i added this word to the sentence than appears

Den dag skall komma da hammarsmedens ilska ger liv at metallen.

What is in translation
The day will come when the wrath of the hammersmith gives life to the metal.

When i think of Gysberts idea that the carver had a little messed up or this is an old nordic word pherhaps it could be the hammersmith.

No, “asdar” and “asdaa” is not a real Swedish word, I have checked them in the Swedish Academy Dictionaries. But that gave me an idea after @helldiver wrote about hammer. I am thinking of Thor and Mjölnir.
In Swedish thunder means åska. We also prenauce it then it is happening: åskar.

I am also wondering if is meant to be an Å at the end.

It’s rather hard for us as non-Swedish speakers, to help further. I have only a basic idea what the diacritical marks mean in pronunciation. I don’t know if words in Swedish or old Norse can totally change meaning when diacritical marks are applied. I doubt that even google is advanced enough to show the difference.

The fact that the S-rune is mirrored, makes me think that the runecarver (game designer) messed up at least with one rune character, and then translating becomes a real puzzle, where we might only end up with a best guess.

1 Like

Good thread!
Swedish is my native language and ”SMMASMAA” just doesn’t make any sense.
I don’t know a lot about runes or the nordic languages from that time, but I’ll try to help you decipher this. It’s really interresting!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably ”Å”. In that case SMÅ would translate to small or little. That wouldn’t make sense though, since ”små” is more of a prefix like in ”småsaker” (small things).

1 Like

As i played around with that word, I thought of Thor and a blacksmith’s hammer. I looked for a mythical Blacksmith and his name but i only found was the Name Wieland. He is a mythological Blacksmith and is related to the nordic mythologie. But the idea from @Gysbert “the mirrored S rune” could be a clue that the word has an other sense. Pherhaps it is not a mess up from the carver. The idea of åskar is really good and makes sense. :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

This younger futhark taken from Wikipedia shows different variations of runes, and as you can see, the S rune could appearently be written both ways.

3 Likes

Ah, cool. So the mirrored S is not wrong.

1 Like

Not necessarily, but on the other hand, the ”correct” way seem to be the most common.

And the word still makes no sense…

It could be more words. Problem is that there are no spaces.

Another factor is that the M runes are so prominent. There’s just no reason to misinterpret them.