Skills Respec please

Good idea to one badly chosen or mistake.
Fixing multiple skill or doing partial re-spec, would take like 12+ months.

Easier to make new char, transfer good weapons. For me it literally took like 2-3 weeks to go from lvl 0 to 31.

Also if you make regular sequential backups of you save files (you have to be on PC). Just restore your backup, loose little progress. But you get your skill point back.

Same feature topics merged.

//Mod

I just hit the 31 skills limit. I was a little perplexed about it, for three reasons. The game does not warn you in any way of this limit, and this, perhaps, should be made very clear, so that a player can better consider where and how to evolve. The other reason is that since there is this limit, apart from specialization, the branches should perhaps not be linear as they are, but rethought as a tree, like those of Skyrim to be clear.
I must say that the fact of being limited to a maximum threshold, takes away the longevity of the game, once you have done the main quest, and the two DLCs, you can play again, but only to find 5 or 6 crowns weapons and 5 crown accessories.
Or, scratch with another character, but honestly, I just did.

Regarding redistributing skills, I don’t know. In a game with RPG elements I expect to be able to grow indefinitely, paying for my time in playing it in return.

If the game was designed with this limitation, it makes the game different from what one might expect.

2 Likes

This was immediately the first thing I wanted to suggest on this forum. For a huge game that requires a lot of experimentation to figure out its systems and even your own playstyle it’s an enormous punch in the gut to realize that the character you’ve been with for 50 hours is screwed up and there isn’t really anything you can do about it. I think the removal of the level cap would be the best solution to this but in any case there needs to be some sort of way to adjust your skills.

2 Likes

I just wanted to flag that Cyberpunk has the option to respec for 100,000 eddies ( the in game currency )

Point being for here is 100,000 is a fair chunk - but not major.

I think in order to retain players who are at a level 31 build, to entice new players with the option to change play style mid build, and even just to try new things out this should be a focus for 2021.

3 Likes

There’s a huge controversy with Cyberpunk 2077 and it’s inability to work properly on 4th gen consoles. Things have gotten so bad that it was even pulled from PS4 store and Sony is offering full refunds for all who pre-purchased it. So, it may not be the game to compare with GZ. :thinking:

Though, your idea is similar to mine, which i posted above:

Yes defiantly, there must be a point you must get to - in order to restart.

And as for comparing it to Gen Z, I’ve had more issues with this game than 2077 on the Scorpio. But, like everything GenZ - it’s all about the domino effect, so IF a respec comes - next issue will be the perks and the skill tree itself, then the prestige points etc…

How about…Respec option after 10,000 kills?

1 Like

Since skill points are awarded for the XP gained and not after X amounts of kills, that doesn’t fit well.

1 Like

How about, 500,000 XP?

Used as a form of currency at a crafting station, to craft the respec tool

This implies multiple uses, especially when you give up the XP on the craft and can earn all that back.

It can make things worse as well, if the item you get is stored in your inventory, where you can store it in your Plundra or even drop it on the ground.

I still think the one-time, 2nd chance, is more than enough.

Ah yeah, of course.

If it’s a physical item - I see your issues.

This is a tough one I must admit. I’ll sit on it for a while.

As someone have said before, skills like Inquisitive mind, in a capped system like that, makes no sense at all.
Skills tree should be rethinked from scratch, let the specialization on (that’s nice) but don’t force players to reach useless skills like these on a path. And there’s others who should be over the specialization path.
So, I agreed about a way to respec once, but also there’s that ‘issue’ to considerate wisely.
I would like, as someone have said before, at least add some skills more (5 for example) at any DLC. This would make buy one more interesting, perhaps.

In addition, if the game allowed to make its own savegames (maybe only inside the safehouses, to avoid the “save before the hard monster so I can try again until I succeed”), a player could at least go back one skill, and probably everything would be easier.

1 Like

:bulb:

So, the issue I foresee is that the respec option it needs to be an option that you have to make a conscious decision to do.

Not something you pickup, not something you can craft something that is unique to you, that cannot be transferred, duped, or transferred between characters. Then it hit me, DLC exclusive content only.

Now hear me out, it needs to be something you make a decision to do because otherwise it will dilute its importance. Being able to respec every other play session as @Aesyle mentioned, would be pointless.

IF it became a paid DLC, you have the option to ask yourself is it really something you want to do. Is it worth an actual financial commitment to change what you have built up.

Now of course comes the flip side of “ I’m not paying to respec when it’s free on other games blah blah blah”. Fair point yes - but with the respec MUST come the skill tree re-work. Don’t bother implementing it into game unless the perks, and boosts actually reflect the work, time and effort to obtain them. I mean, Challenge menuHazard suit - no gas resistance? Come on…

I also though about how to get it into game, and where of course. I’ve picked a few spot on the current map, and have a few ideas how it could work as actual DLC ( can be discussed further if interested )

There have been level cap increases, weapon damage packs, character buff packs for years that is all paid content that improves, or changes your character from base game level.

Thoughts?

Yeah, the current placement of skills needs some redoing and devs have acknowledged that as well. Since currently, there are skills that either loose their value at max level (Inquisitive Mind), have very little use (Last Man Standing) or are useless for solo players (Flanking, Healer).

Though, discussion about changing skill tree is here: [Suggestion] Skill Tree Rebalancing

I’m not against the idea of skill respec being paid content. However, what i’m interested in, is how it would be implemented? :thinking:
E.g when DLC is bought, can i respec only one of my chars or all 4? Can i respec them once or several times? Etc.

1 Like

Who cares, let reapers drop a respec microchip or something and a very small percentage to drop it and make it very rare. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t mind there being a cap of 41, 31 you get all skill points, and from then till 41 you get 1 skill refund point. Got a couple skills thinking they would be great for my playstyle… turns out they are pretty much very useless for my style. This way you can somewhat respec those skills you regret getting thinking they would help you or team out, but were utterly useless in the end.

Moved to more recent thread.

//Mod

I’ve done that for 1 skill it sucks. they could make it a craftable item.

11 max lvled chars i have made so far by deleting and lvling new ones and its slow to try new builds but it works. the key to lvl fast is to do mp games =)

Since my 1st char had skills that i took for testing and at that time (1st playthrough), i thought i needed those skills but once i completed the game and gained enough experience, also forming my final play style, many skills i picked weren’t useful to me anymore.

So, rather than waiting when, if ever, skill respec comes, i deleted my 1st char and started anew. Now, i spec her according to my needs and it’s nice to be back low level char, for time being. (Btw, i have 3 other chars as well, all lvl31.)

But making skill points as craftable items is a bad idea. Since with it, you can max out all skills on 1 char, making the 4x char system obsolete. And how do you compensate all the time spent, for those players who created 2nd, 3rd and 4th char (myself included)?