Sound bug: The rattling of dropped items

Platform: PC

Video:

Ok, I have no idea how to get this dropbox embed to work. But you can download the file (right click and “Copy video location”).

Maybe related to this one:

It happens all the time, and, I think, on all consoles

After looting the entire hotel it comes from all sides, constantly.

It probably is two objects spawning in each other, then being pushed apart, and glitches back together, or it is a glitch where there is something stuck in the floor.

Happens for me as well (on PC).

What produces that sound? Loot bag you dropped to the ground.

For some reason, when you drop stuff to the ground and walk away from that backpack, it starts producing that sound which sounds like one item constantly colliding with another. (In this case, backpack is colliding with floor.)

How to fix? Just pick up the dropped stuff. :grin:

And yes, it’s the same one as in the “Dropped items sound bug”.

I created this new thread as I am not sure this is the only reason for the bug. I must have dropped a lot in that place to make all those sounds. Will watch more closely.

Also that bug reports is 1/2 a year old. Should just be fixed by now. Maybe good to create more attention.

That sound bug has been around for long time and as far as i recall it, that’s about right. Compared to the other SFX bugs, it’s a minor thing and i’ve gotten used to it. Still, bug is a bug and needs fixing.

Usually, you encounter it in a location you stay at only for a brief moment. If you spend longer times at one place such as the hotel, it really gets super annoying when the rattling comes from everywhere and is basically audible 100% of the time.

It is similar to staying at a location where you have killed a couple of bots that indefinitely make those ghost mooing and cooing sounds. The only way to keep your sanity is to restart the game. And that shouldn’t be necessary ever to deal with anything.

To put it in very simple terms: Why tf is this still in the game.

I got the same audio bug on the hotel.

After rummaging room 237 through for the first time, I exited the room and walked to the neighbouring rooms door, I heard that sound coming from the 237 and quite muffled. When I turned to look toward the room door, sound stopped. Went back in to the room, nothing there but immediately when I went to the other rooms door and wasn’t watching towards 237, sound popped up again.

It was a bit creepy and for a moment, I actually thought that it was part of the room/mission.

Edit: This kinda stuff should be scripted to the game and give us creepy vibes from time to time.

For me this kind of stuff gives the impression that the game is fragile and can fall apart at any given time. You as a player need to be careful with the game. You take a meta perspective, it limits your immersion.

For example if you reach a location that sort of “smells” like mission, with mission items and so on, with GZ you stay away from that place for now (until you got that mission) to make sure you are not breaking your save game, the story progress or any achievements.

Spoiler

There is a location within a wire fence where a “head crab” tick is sitting on a body. This seemed so special, story related to me that I Immediately fled the scene in order not to break anything I would regret later on.

Long story short: A game should feel solid, reliable.

I listened to your dropbox video and yes I get this all the time. When I go to loot a cleared bunker for supplies I have about a 40% chance of it happening and a crash will occur eventually. It really seems like the game has spawned a tick somewhere in the game world that is supposed to be coming after you but can’t because its inside the terrain somewhere. Of course it could just be a DSP error related to the heavy reverb they like to turn on inside bunkers. Maybe it gets stuck in a loop that ends up invading protected memory. In any case it’s very annoying and very common! At least I know when I start hearing it that I’d better get to a Plundra as fast as I can before I crash.

That is absolutely true. I used to enjoy just roaming around. I didn’t fast travel. I loved the scenery and being in the world. Now I just dart from safehouse to safehouse as fast as I can. If a mission is somewhere far away I make a bee line for it and hit every safehouse I can find. I crash so much that it took the fun out of wandering around. I could spend hours getting somewhere and then carefully surveying and plotting a strategy. Now it’s just a matter of getting everything done as fast as I can before the next crash. Definitely spoiled the immersion. As does having to do everything again and again, or avoiding all sorts of things because I get perma-stuck on an object or cause some other bizarre game-ruining bug to get triggered.

The sound bug happens in regular buildings as well, or out in the open. Might actually be what @Aesyle said, backpacks you drop yourself. I recently had this happen on a pier on the north-east shore of Himfjäll.

The annoying thing is that it sometimes does not get quieter when you walk away (as with the pier, I was like 50 m away and the sound remained unchanged). And if you stay at a place for a longer time, such as a bunker or the hotel, it can get super annoying, particularly if the sound comes from multiple source at once. Like the ghost sounds from dead or even invisible robots.

On a different note:
For getting stuck and saving time it is a good idea to have a field radio on you at all times. I think, it is hard to build an open-world map where you never get stuck, and GZ does an ok job here in my opinion. I don’t get perma-stuck that often. Your mileage may vary.

I get this glitch a lot when I loot containers with movable props in them like lamps, chairs etc. As soon as I walk away a bit, it starts. But when I come back it stops. Something to do with props not rendering perhaps?

Not sure. I know it depends on your orientation relative to the objects. The sound often disappears when look into the direction as you try to find out where it comes from. Drives me nuts.

nice to know i’m not the only one getting this bug, happens yes when i loot containers, also happens if i get killed while reloading a weapon and I play on the PS4

I’ve done more experimenting with this and it is 100% caused by dropping anything mostly while inside a bunker. Regardless of how far away from the dropped item you are (you do have to get some distance from it), if you point your crosshair in the direction of wherever it is (which you can tell by the volume of the scuffling) the sound will continue non-stop until you move your crosshair away sufficiently. If you go back and pick the item up wherever it is then this will stop. Weird bug… sort of boggles the mind imagining how a dropped item several meters away would elicit any sort of sound effect. Maybe it’s a loop in the DSP system caused by the dropping an object sound effect, causing it to infinitely repeat in the “distance” as an “echo” that should have only happened once.

I made the opposite experience. And often I hear it only on one ear.

I use an external 5.1 surround setup so pinpointing locations through sound works pretty well with most games. By “opposite” are you indicating that you hear the sound when your crosshair is pointed in the opposite direction as the dropped item(s)?

In 90°, so when I am looking “away”. I can at least 2 distinct situations where that happened and I tried to trace the direction.