Storage box size

I think you missed the word epic. I didnt say every weapon you find.

I got it from thinking, with my knowledge of datascience to back me up. (University studies, as well as 20+ years in the business).

Typically you need one reference to the object, thats 8 bytes (long), and then you want to count how many of that you have, thats 8 more bytes. Unsigned long can represent any number from 0 to 18446744073709551615. Or so I thought. I was mistaken long long for a long. A normal long only has 4 bytes. So I guess the correct size if you only use longs are actually only 12 bytes (plus abit of overhead for actual object and array implementations) and would only suffice for 4294967295 objects storage per type. (tbh only 1 byte could be used, then you would be able to store a maximum of 255 objects per object type. I think that could suffice?)

Sizes of different datatypes can be found here:

https://os.mbed.com/users/mbed714/notebook/integer-types-int-long-and-long-long/

I actually thought I explained it pretty good in my previous post. :smiley: (minus the errors… hmmm)

1 Like

I can buy that.

As long as there are ways to get it (preferably actually without spending skillpoints on it).

1 Like

One Google search and I found this StackExchange thread about storage limitations in Dark Souls: dark souls - Is there a limit to the number of item in inventory? - Arqade Quote: “I’m currently studying the save file, and items start at offset 0x2e0 and end at offset 0xe2e0, which means there is 0xe000 items structures. Since there are 7 elements in this structure, there is a maximum of 0x2000 items, which is 8192” So even there is a maximum to items you can store.

Oh yes, the Fallout games without their limitations. This works in regular cases. But when you start gathering and storing lots and lots of things the file size grows quite large. I found an interesting piece where on describes for F:NV how to reduce the save file size since even when it’s just some MB it can result in freezes (https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Forum:GUIDE:_Eliminate_PS3_RAM-related_freezes;_decrease_Save-Size.). True that this is about the elderly PS3 and newer hardware can surely cope with larger file sizes but even there will be the crashes when the file size gets out of hand for newer hardware.

And imagine how long it would take if the file size gets in the range of 100 MB or even to the GB range. The devs cannot assume everyone has a M.2 drive. Regular SSDs still have that 600MB/s limit of the SATA port. And even then they regularly don’t achieve that as a writing speed (SSD Performance Review - 270TB Written | StorageReview.com).

Got you. I know it as BigInt but never used it since in my programming days I never came even close to such a large number. In that case the game would need a real database server optimized for large amounts of data.
Why I think there needs to be a reasonable limit is that using a 1 byte type (to me known as Int) you could have a file size of up to 4 GB for the reference only. I don’t know any system that can handle those large data in such a manner that it wouldn’t interfere with the gameplay.

1 Like

As i have mentioned, im not expert. And to be very honest, nothing you say here makes sense to me. But ive put in hundreds of hours in both games (Dark souls1,2,3 and FO3,FNV,FO4) and manage to store many items in a single storage and my game runs smoothly.

Ive played ive played all the Dark souls games on console mind you, and not on a beefy gaming PC and it works fine. Ive played Fallout on both console aswell as on my non gaming laptop and it works fine, not to mention that i use alot of mods when playing on the PC. So my point still stands, If both Dark souls and Fallout(with mods) can run fine, i dont see any reason why GZ wont work. And like i mentioned im no programmer so whatever facts and numbers you pull up, dont expect me to understand them.

Idk what kind of gaming rig you are using, but by the way you seem so bothered with storage and space that this feature will take up, you must be using some kind of lousy pc.

Well in that case I let you live your life and don’t bother to discuss with you.

It comes down to how anyone perceives themselves.

I’m a collector and i can manage the 200 Plundra limit just fine, while housing all of my weapon collection, with plenty of room to spare. I gave the numbers above how much the perfect weapon collection takes up in Plundra.

However, those people who excessively save items (that others may view as worthless), where they have persistent difficulty getting rid of or parting with possessions, leading to a clutter that disrupts their ability to use their inventory, Plundra and Recycling Station space - are called hoarders.

Yes, i get it that its fun to collect all and store all. But at some point, limit should be drawn. In GZ, those limits are 96 (or 112.999) for inventory, 200 for Plundra and 250 for Recycling Station. And even in real life, you have limit on how much stuff you can collect. It’s mainly defined by the size of your dwelling but some folks have even rented storage/warehouse space to house their stuff.

As said by Zesiir:

In that sense, it doesn’t matter if Plundra is 200 units, 1000 units, 5000 units etc. As long as there is a limit, people will meet that limit at some point and only way to house more stuff, is to ask for more space.

When Plundra was in development by the devs, devs did thought about keeping each Plundra contents individual. However, they soon realized that with 100+ safehouses in the game and same amount of Plundras as well, players will confuse/forget fast at which Plundra they stored the X item. So, to remove that confusion, devs made it so that every Plundra mirrors itself. And that is the sole reason why Plundra mirrors itself and isn’t standalone storage in each and every safehouse. A quality of life feature to say so.

This idea works only if there is 1 place where you can build those chests: Tylöveden Home Base. Since if you increase the amount of places where you can build those, the same issue comes back that devs circumvented when they introduced Plundra to the game.

I get what you’re trying to achieve. You like to get considerably more storage space in the game than it currently is. That, personally, i’m not okay with.

To me, any additional, buildable storage chest, to keep the game balance, would only be limited to 20 units of space and you could build up to 5 of them in your Tylöveden Home Base. That would make a total of 100 units extra storage space, with a catch that machines can destroy them during the base defence mission, where you can loose everything that was stored in them at once.

But to entertain your idea, would the following be, what you’re asking about:
Build count: 1
Storage space: 500 units
Resource cost: 400 Aluminum, 200 Titanium, 100 Uranium
:thinking:
And that, of course with the same mechanic like all other base modules, where machines can damage and destroy it.

You’ve posted that poll in a biased way, where it is more likely that people are voting “Yes” instead of a “No”.
The poll you made, is:

How many players want unlimited storage?

There seems to be many players on the GZ formus who are against this feature. So im curious to see if GZ subreddit feels the same way.

• Yes, that way i wont have to leave behind ammo
  • No, it will make the game boring and dull

:roll_eyes:

Calling a game “boring and dull” just because you can’t store past X amount of ammo is not a nice thing to do. :unamused:
Moreover since unlimited Plundra, what you asked here for, has nothing to do with the ammo you collect from the world and carry with you. It’s your inventory limit that defines if you leave behind the looted ammo or not, to which you were okay with.

Btw, a proper poll isn’t biased. Example: Storage Capacity POLL

In Reddit, there is no limit on how many accounts single person can have. You don’t even need to have individual e-mails for individual accounts. This creates a situation where one person can have 500+ reddit accounts and can artificially skew any polls within Reddit.

With this, there is 0 credibility to any of the polls within Reddit and i don’t consider it as a valid statistics.

How is that bias? It is a simple yes and no poll.

Well mind you, the term i used “No, It will make the game dull and boring” is quoted from many players who are against having unlimited box space. Maybe english isnt your main language which is fine, but please do not twist my words just because your comprehension of english is not good.

In my poll i am not saying that not saying that without the unlimited space that the game will be boring and dull. Im qouting what players who disagree with having an unlimited plundra would say.

You cannot assume that everyone on reddit uses their alt accounts to vote on this poll. And what gives you the right to dictate what is credible and what is not credible? You are not the final authority on what is credible, so whether or not you think reddit is credible or not matters very little.

Lastly, this forum is a page for everyone to make bug reports and feature requests. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thus you are free to disagree with having unlimited space. But what gives you the right to keep trying to shoot other peoples opinions down? If someone leaves their requests do you always have to reply trying to shoot them down? This is a page for players to voice out their opinions, and here you are acting high and mighty trying to silence other peoples requests. If you disagree you can just say that you disagree and leave it at that, and not constantly try to silence others.

Well if u must know how i play the game, here is my playstyle in a nutshell.

Primary: AG4 (4x scope, IR vision, ext mag, barrel extension) ammo type either AP or FMJ (depends on which i have more)

second: PVG50/Sjoqvist (pvg: 16x scope, ext mag. Sjoqvist: choke) ammo type for shotgun is either buck or slug

sidearm: baseball bat

So i go and play the game(do missions, hunt rivals ect.) and i hardly ever go back to plundra becuz i have lots of ammo to last me a long time. Whenever i do go back to the plundra, i drop any extra ammo off and head back out.

Some of the optional weapons i keep:

Granatgevar (only used for rival hunting)

Experimental klauke (i only keep 400 AP ammo for it)

So no, to clarify im not hording anything, i dont keep grenades,mines,firecracker,flares ect. Only medical items i use are medkits which i always carry with me, lock picks i also carry with me, about 10-20.

What baffels me is how players like you feel so opposed to an increase on storage. Please humor me abit, if lets say for example, if the devs added in unlimited/increased storage, how would it negatively effect you? If an unlimited/increased plundra were to be added, can you promise all of us that you swear you wont use the extra space?

And since having extra space in the storage wont negatively effect you, dont you think its selfish for you to not allow other player who want this feature to not have it? Because after all the players who want this feature will be negatively effected while on the other hand if this feature were to be added, players who want it will benefit while players who dont want it can simply just not use it. Its really that simple, and its not about making GZ to become like other games. Once again, as ive said to Aesyle, who are you to shoot down other peoples requests?

Anyways, enough has been said. It doesnt matter who is right or wrong, at the end of the day its all up to the devs what gets added and what doesnt get added into GZ. And i put full faith in them to meet a compromise to please everyone. This has been a very interesting discussion. Thank you for the memories. :wink:

It is biased because it makes the Yes option far more pleasing, while degrading the No option.

If it really is the simple Yes/No poll, then why add the line after Yes/No? :thinking:

Well, you can’t speak for someone else. You can only speak for yourself. So, why would you go around saying: “this person said that” or “those people are saying this”?

I shared my personal opinion of the Reddit poll and to me, it is not credible, which i also stated. Does my or your opinion in this case matter? Maybe. Maybe not. But in the end, it’s devs who decide if something comes or not. We, as players, can discuss the ideas, refine them, make them better. Speaking of it:

Yes, everyone have the right for their opinion. You and me included.

This topic talks about Plundra increase and this is what we should be discussing here. Not attacking another person just because you don’t like they disagreeing with your idea. And not just the plain old “i disagree” but with explanation as of why i disagreed with one part of your idea.

Your asked unlimited storage space isn’t possible due to the software and hardware limitations. The technical explanation of it was shared here by @knobitobi, to which you dismissed as too complex to comprehend.
Even i don’t understand all the minute technicalities of programming, but me not understanding how something works, doesn’t make it invalid.

Then, you suggested a buildable chest within game world and to that i actually agreed with you. Given that it is balanced within game world. I also provided, based on my own opinion, the reasonable storage amount and other limitations it should have.

I even entertained your idea of bigger than Plundra storage box, that you can build in player base. By giving it the more than Plundra storage (which you asked for) with the expensive resource cost to build it (which you also talked about). I don’t see your response to it.

This is how discussion goes. One person brings out an argument and another person responds with counter-argument. But what i see, is you attacking me, without addressing the substance of the argument.

Let’s remember to keep things civil while posting. This includes avoiding making enormous, intimidating posts with walls of text. Not only does this discourage others from posting in the thread, it also blows up what is essentially just a case of disagreement.

I’ve already started to clean up in this thread. Agree to disagree, or I’ll have to use the big broom.

:broom:

//Mod

1 Like

Well, as ive said and this is the last time im going to say it. It doesnt matter who is right or wrong, at the end of the day it will be up to the devs what they wish to add in to the game. Let us all put our faith in them to make a choice that can hopefully benefit everyone. It has been a great discussion, best one ive been in for years, but for now lets let the devs do their magic and see what they do. For the mean time lets just continue to inform them about bugs and glitches.

Hopefully we have all learnt on how we can better ourselves through this discussion we have :wink: Once again thank you Devs for your hard work! And thank you to all for the wonderful experience.

1 Like

Hmm you are completely missunderstanding what I am saying.

Lets say I want to store 4000 6 star PVG.

That would only take up 8 + 4 bytes = 12 bytes.

The 8 bytes reference the object (Experimental PVG), and the 4 bytes contains how many PVG’s we have stored (4000 of them).

Storing 6 star PVG and 5 star PVG = 24 bytes, etc etc.

File size is simply 12 times the number of different item types you store, not actual items.

Hence lets say there are 200 different item types in GZ. The filesize to store those items would be 200 * 12 = 2400 bytes which is less than 3Kb. and you can store up to 4294967295 of each item, and the filesize would not change.

thats right: you can store 429 MILLION 6 star PVG and another 429 MILLION 5 star PVG and file size would still be only 24 bytes.

So trust me, plundra does not take up any resources if implemented correctly.

(Disclaimer: The above reasoning assumes the inner state of the object to be stored is zero bytes, meaning it has no inner state. Inner state can be tear and wear, but also for instance which mods are attached to it. Depending on implementation this can be true, but in most cases this is false. In GZ it seems like the only objects with an inner state are ammo, and maybe magazines? (the number of bullets) so the zero innerstate approach is applicable here.)

1 Like

I think that we should leave the finer details of the technical side of the game to the devs. I would rather hear how a bigger plundra could effect the game, negatively or positively.

For example: If I think of the game mechanic in a horror game where you need to find batteries in order to be able to light your way, would an infinite battery not diminish the experience?
Why do game makers build in these limits in the first place? They must have a reason, I would think.

2 Likes

This is true. But usually files are not just data but also contain structure.

I just checked my save file to have a guess how big it actually it is. I have one char only and am at about 1/3 of the story line. The save file size is at 3 MB. The save file of my Guerilla playthrough I did before is at about 4 MB. Of course it’s not just Plundra but to me this doesn’t look like a save file without structure since the file grows larger the further you progress in the game. So even if the save file stays the same regardless if you have 1 of an item or 10,000, the file size is still large.

Having a file with structure is good because the devs could just up a limit without breaking the save file. If the file wouldn’t have structure and everything had it’s position and area that would mean if the datatype for the amount would change, older files wouldn’t work all of a sudden.

True, this is the objective of the thread anyway. I was trying to argue (although poorly) why a limitless approach might have a technical limit.

I think increasing the plundra size to say 400 or else would just raise the limit until I need to have a look what I stored and then sift through my inventory and sort out duplicates and useless stuff. So a lower limit makes this approach (until there is a good sorting implemented) easier then a higher one (especially for the attachment section).
Since I only store 1 of each weapon (the one with the highest number of crowns) and attachment a limit of 400 makes no difference at all. Since the player can carry “only” 96kg the player really need some effort to fill the Plundra up to it’s new limit.

The only gripe I have is the performance of the game. If I can “opt out” of a possible performance hit I’m happy.

Totally. Basically the game devs could just switch on all the lights in this matter.

I’m trying to come with a reason why the increase of the Plundra size to a higher limit doesn’t make sense other then I already mentioned and the existing limit should suffice but I’m not getting any other at the moment. But that might just be my fried brain :sweat_smile:

To people who want it it will make sense. :crazy_face: Story-wise it makes sense too because in the real you could stash as much as you like. :coffee: In the real however, those plundra could be plundered as well. What if the devs made it so that the Plundra have a chance of being plundered by a new machine, say only bullets up to 10% at each chance. Wouldn’t that be something? A sneaky squirrel that only plunders when you are in the neighbourhood of the plundra. :sunny:

The problem for a game maker is that they need to find a balance in how much to limit so that the game is fun for the majority of gamers. I think that balance is correct now. No need for a bigger plundra, not for me at least. It looks to me that the most requests are for making the game easier. :wink:

1 Like

To anyone thinking that each item you store in game will make your save file bigger and bigger, and if you store “too much” will make the game crash - think again, that’s not how databases works (of course this game could consist of spaghetti code that would make trivial things such as creating a neat, lean database for stored items crash the game, but I don’t think so).

As for storage size, the more stuff I can gather and store, the happier I’ll be :smiley: This has always been my attitude, and I don’t care much for long novels explaining why it is bad for this, bad for that.

I’m confident they’ll increase the storage space ‘soon-ish’, take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Just look at the size of the plundra box! If I can keep 96 on me, why can’t that huge box store 300 or 400?

And those saying the storage size is fine, but are advocating using mules for storage are just in denial. They are implicitly acknowledging the plundra size isn’t big enough.

I believe they will increase it too, but not to an unlimited storage ofcourse. I really don’t mind if the storage gets bigger, even though I have no trouble managing it now. For me it’s enough since I don’t collect and I avoid combat if I can, like I would if it was real. But with more weapons coming to the game, it is inevitable that the storage gets an update for more balance.

1 Like

I have only one outfit maxed out to 5*. I have chosen to upgrade shoes and pants for more jumping power, and I can tell you it is a big difference. The ability to jump higher and further really enhances the fun I have and getting to places where without the upgrade it would not work. Then I also upgraded shirt and jacket for stealth, so It didn’t take long or much storage space to get those upgrades, but I understand that a bigger storage would make it all easier.

And every different playstyle brings in view different “hurt points” so to say.
I’ll be open to what ever the devs bring, and if something is a “hurt point” for me, I’ll do my best to see it as the hard parts of real surviving.

1 Like