Suggestions for future Companion updates

The companion feature was good addon but lack of polish i would say so why not drop some tweaks and suggestions with the Companion AI in later patches.

Here are future companion addon ideas should there be another update for our bots on the next roadmap

Future Modules some can be free, others can be DLC. These suggestions are better off both free and DLC depending on how they will work in game tests.

I’m sure many of us fellow players would like to give our partner some specific actions other than fighting the nearest or most threatened target or sometimes the least threatening one that you dont want it to waste time with it and prioritize fighting fight baddies and let their basic AI code do the work.

Putting up commands and some specific depending on the modules they are equipped with makes things a little easier for the AI to be effective rather than moving around on weird spots or too close where they easily get knocked out against bigger bots.

The basic commands for all types:

-Follow & Stop
-Go to that spot (pointed by the cursor), will not move until a new command outside the ATTACK SPECIFIC TARGET command is given.
-Attack a specific target (Cursor pointed)
-Holding a certain key will command the AI to disengage (or shoot on the move) and regroup with the player (Hold the REGROUP command key to recall)
-Diversion/Covering fire where the bot will grab the attention of your enemies if you are pinned down or very low on HP

Scout:
-We definitely need a command that can hold fire, find the closest bush or cover and auto scouts any target within range should the Detection meter be applied to our AI as well. If there is no cover in an open field it will just stand still or get abit closer for it to scout targets but will not engage.
-If there was a command combo such as Combining “Stand on this spot” command and hold fire and leave it to “SCOUT ONLY” that might be nice on setting up an ambush.

Scavenger:
-Scavenge that specific dead body (just hope the RAGDOLL feature wont let it fly too far.)

Medic:
-You can command the bot to urgently heal a player that is too far from you and ran out of meds to heal themselves.
-You can use the same function as the BASE MEDICAL TENT where the bot can be stationary healing station with a small circle for players to heal outside of combat area or behind tall cover (best hiding behind a building)

The command UI is all up to the people to decide,

Either the good old Z,X,C commands like those from Counter Strike or you prefer using the CIRCLE TAB (like that from the emotion tab)

Quick commands/hotkeys should also be applied if the command box would take too long to even send an order and wanted a quick & specific for your partner in the middle of a fight

Future companion ideas should there be another update for our bots on the next roadmap

Future Modules some can be free others can be DLC (again)

Mobile cover/Tanker: Can take the role of a Tank for its weight class with double the armor (more armor slots) and some deployable panels (replenish the make shift cover from the Tactical Equipment) for the player to stick with when command to be stationary with its weapon (like that of a Defense bunker from the base)

Remote Controlled: Basic Runner can also be a controlled scout or blend among a swarm of bots on certain areas, vision modules that were often used for binos and gun scopes will be attached to its optics. But you can also control its weapons like a mobile gun but you are out of their line of sight when in combat and will only target your companion. (“Entering combat” font should be changed to something metal or mechanical style indicating that your partner is now in a battle but not your physical self)

Should there be a range to balance it out aside from low durability, I would say the range would be the length of the airfield runway at max.

Artillery: Bots with indirect fire capabilities will often stay away from the front line and make use of their mortar but it can be direct fire when ordered to fight a specific target. (Separate a command that does direct and indirect along with quick command)

Sniper: Sharpshooter but on a Runner Chassis? Plausible but might trade off with the lowest of HPs, default caliber would be a 50 cal punchy but slow ROF, For faster rate of fire they will require some gun parts or change the caliber to something smaller which is lesser damage but better fire rate against a swarm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
New chassis?

If there was a new bot chassis as our partner the candidate that would fit the Runner’s weight class would be the Soviet Lynx All role modules from the Runner will be passed on to the Lynx.

I’m not sure what to do next should the AI companion would expand to bigger bots such as Harvester and Tank including a potential new faction from USA or Germany in future new island updates.

If there ever was a Hunter that can be your partner:

Pyromaniac: armed with a Flamethrower for CQC all Pyro equipment but comes with a basic fire resistant armor

Sharpshooter: armed with a 50 cal sniper for long to mid range with SMG for CQC and of course the arm sword for melee. (Might need a new animation for swinging instead of leaping and dropping the sword onto a target from above)

Charger: Being a fast armored bull that just rag dolls your enemies once they set their sights on it by command (the red laser like that of the sniper or rocket bot) but does not kill them one shot, ineffective against giants like Harvester and Tank

Demolition Bot: Armed with grenade launchers and short burst rocket pod but prone to friendly fire when you are in the middle of a swarm of enemies running around them. Can do indirect fire control when needed.

Heavy weapons: Just a Hunter with guns thats almost equal of the Wolf’s minigun (no sword but can use its arm guns to do blunt attacks in CQC)
-Has a command that does LONG BURST on a specific target for 3-5 seconds before it overheats (need a visual detail that the barrels are RED HOT after firing)

Nice ideas, but I think the devs want to limit it to what runners already have. What I mean is, if the supreme AI couldn’t figure out how to add heavy weapons or sniper rifles to a runner frame, then I doubt humans could. Its about weight, power, encumberance, speed and armor; all on a bot the size of a dog, which all has to be in balance to be effective. Putting heavy weapons on it would probably sacrifice its speed to say the least. More of a tortoise than a dog at that point.

2 Likes

this is just my theory if there was a bot that was made NOT BY ITS DESIGN like a cursed concept just like some tanks from WW2 that looks promising but practically impossible to be good enough to pass, pretty much why i put the Runner sniper to the lowest of HP for the the devs to set SHOULD they be applied on its chassis. and by mobility its just down to walk, a quick burst of rockets from a tank or baddies with explosives will make quick work of it by their first shot. (Best just command it on a safe distance and let the gun do the work)

But im pretty sure that class will be only for the Hunter if they will plan on putting that role on it as a Companion.

The best idea of all is a more improved command menu for the companion by using the emotes-wheel.

We already can command some tricks by that, why don’t use it for controlling the companion more direct? I don’t have special suggestions for this currently, but there could be plenty of commands.

2 Likes

I agree with the command ideas but keep it simple and concise i.e sit, stay, attack, scout, and heal. Too many clustered commands leave a place for bugs to pop in. But it’s present settings put it in harms way with little to no self preservation. The armor is basically butter to anything that’s not a runner so telling it to stay and remain out of combat would be a great improvement.

2 Likes

There should also be some command queues/combination. the command can be reset by holding the command key and wait for 2-3 seconds for the “RECALL” command which would reset to default orders (follow and engage when fired upon like the current AI they have right now)

combination commands for example Rocket companions but they are gravely damaged so “Stay + specific target” = shoot on the spot

or rather take both and put it in the game settings pick the wheel command or the simple one

Yep. Give us another emote wheel with command choices to drop where we want em on said wheel. Simple and combo options would be amazing.

I deploy my pet after the battle is over to store extra loot. Then pack it back up. No need to use it in combat, it’s not much use and doesn’t do enough of anything to use in combat.

What would be nice if it could confuse a big machine and keep it distracted long enough, neither shooting at each other, to plant a few explosives around the tank or attack it from the back side. Not sure why machines are attacking the pet now?

1 Like

Unfortunately it needs to be in combat with you to get schematic points so it not being involved in the fighting is counterproductive unless you have maxed the tree(s).

If I may add further suggestions…
1.) All the new control points and companion armor have run me out of wood and the harvest-able trees can be difficult to identify depending on the region. A forestry module for the companion would be great.

2.) I’m also surprised that there aren’t companion modification stations available for captured control points.

For the original post:
1.) Perhaps a flamethrower pulled off an apocalypse Hunter? Might have to come with a self-inflicted damage penalty due to mounting placement, as well as a penalty to running speed as it is larger than any of the normal Runner weapons.

2.) There are many crates of parts in the Soviet hovercrafts, perhaps a companion Lynx could be constructed from those? It would be interesting to put a Runner rocket launcher on a Lynx as well.

The Ballistic Armor is ultra good. It is hands down the best armor for a the robogoodboi. 1pt of damage on any hit that isn’t a rocket. And so long as it’s not standing in the fire, it won’t need fire armor.

1 Like

We just need more sources for this Ressource.
In the past there was wood in almost every 2nd Tool box or crate.

Me too.

Yes, I experienced this, too.

I’d guess that it could be useful in Fights against apoc hunters and Tanks. But didn’t test it yet.

1 Like

I agree the option to hold fire and wait would be most useful :joy::v:

2 Likes

I was thinking that it might be cool to add a feature to where we could strengthen/upgrade a module. For instance I like the sensor module. I would love it if that module could be upgraded with time and experience. The base level is marking one nearby enemy, but another level could be marking 2 and the next 3, where it could mark 3 enemies, and highest being 4, marking 4 enemies. This way the modules are upgradeable with time! Something that could keep making it more fun and something to keep working towards!

This could be something that would work for the medic and the scavenger. Maybe the medic heals more over time with each level and the scavenger could be able to carry more with each level.

Just ideas, I hope they help! :grinning: :+1:

P.S. I’m loving the companion and thank yall so much for making it!! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, that would be cool, but you should keep one thing in mind:

You want upgrades for things that currently just are DLC content. I don’t think that this will ever be done.

So, first, let’s think about an upgrade for a base game module, which in fact just is one. (which means that it also has almost no chance to get this…but let’s try)

Ok, how should the standard runner module be upgradeable?

1 Like

If there is any kind of upgrade system it should be handled like XP, similar to what they have already done with the companion schematics. You can’t be given or trade for this upgrade, or just made with expensive resources. It has to be earned by fighting with your companion. He levels up like you do. Maybe every level gives him one more pound/kilo of gear he can carry.
Perhaps does a sliver more damage with every level, or better accuracy and range or is just a bit faster.

1 Like

I like MarsGodOfWar idea…

So with time its either able to carry more or more accurate. That is a great place to start I think. What you think though?

I don’t like the idea of using the level for an automatic upgrade as long as the level is as unlimited as the characters levels. If there is no limit, where should it end up? A reaper in runner size on our side?!

I would like to have another tree for skills for the companion and an upgrade of the maximum skillpoints coming along with a revamp of the skilltree instead.

2 Likes

A skill-tree for the companion! I love that! Now I would still like to see a chance to have the modules upgradable with a max level if possible, but that’s just me. I definitely agree with starting with the basics! :grin::+1: