Tanks are too hard

Have to be honest and say that it’s not unusual for me to be running around with 2000-3000 7.62 rounds and a further 1800 SMG and about 80 or 90 .50 rounds

Though I do find you find more the further North you are the better the ammo drops seem to be.

I’m thinking of giving the 7.62 a rest for a while and carrying the 5.56 plus SMG to see if the drop rate for 5.56 increased from absolutely nothing to something appreciable, if for no other reason to gauge how much attention the game pays to the weapons carried.

1 Like

I don’t think tanks are hard at all. At least not one-on-one. Fighting a single tank is really easy if you have good cover, like a house or something between you and him. Just peek out and shoot off his main weapons, and he’ll just stand there defenseless as you finish him off.
Out in the open, or accompanied by wingmen, a tank is hard, and he absolutely should be! A tank should be intimidating, and your default action should be to avoid him, unless you have a good team or a good plan. Part of what I love about this game is the fact that you can run into overwhelming battles you just can’t win, and it’s your choice to retreat or engange.

@Bootie ‘s problem of not finding ammo is a mystery to me. I have 2 points in salvage, and I find plenty of ammo. I always try to carry 8-10 full stacks of 7,62 mm, 8-10 full stacks of buckshot or slugs, 5-6 full stacks of 12,7 mm and 2-3 full stacks of rockets, and this is usually no problem to find.
I’ll say though, that my playstyle used to be slow and careful, but now I’m running around much quicker, and I seem to find more ammo this way.
Slow and careful doesn’t really pay off in any way.

2 Likes

I don’t understand it either - I literally find some in a base in the first three containers and then all the others have ammo I don’t use. I have one point in salvage, but that just gets me 50% more 9mm fmj pistol ammunition, which I never use! What’s the point? If there is no 7.62 in the box, who cares if you get 50% more of it?

I took down a lone FNIX Tank today, first thing, from 250 metres (never laid a glove on me!) and he gave me nearly 300 rounds of 7.62, and I was a pig in clover all day - totally changed my game. But I killed 14 Hunters (three of whom ambushed me and eleven who joined the mad subsequent chase) in a pack, but most of the damage done with Charlie G, and I ended with way less than I started with. IN fact today I killled two Tanks, 25 Hunters, around forty Dogs, and two Harvesters, and I’m back down to fifty rounds, so I am being depridated in all combats.

On the plus side, I played for well over four hours (more like ten!) and can go back to Normyra and restock next time I play. That’ll get me back up to about 300 fmj and 150 ap. Then I can go forward.

It may be a bug in my installation. That’s the only explanation I can think of.

8-10 stacks!!! I’ve never seen that much. The most I’ve ever had was today and I had a full stack of each type and three-quarters of another of each - four slots. Wonderful! But I’m back to normal, sneaking forward, avoiding every contact unless I am certain I can win. Mind you, that FNIX might have respawned and if it’s still alone I might see if I can get into the same firing position. But all my Charlie G’s gone too, so I’d have to snipe it with rifle fire. That takes half an hour or more.

The first Harvester I killed gave me a hand grenade and 8 rounds of buckshot. Bring on the next update!

1 Like

@Bootie Hmm, strange. It seems to me the game in some way knows my preferred ammo types, and it let’s me find them the most. 7,62 mm may be the one I find most of. It’s everywhere, in chunks of 15-50 rounds. I mainly use the AI-76, the Sjöqvist shotgun and the .50 sniper rifle, and ammo is easily found for all of them, along with tons of 9 mm pistol ammo I don’t need.

My tip for finding 7,62: Go to Sävered Church. Every time I go there, 3-10 military hunters spawn outside, I pick them off from the tower and the doorway, and most of them carry a nice bunch of 7,62. I usually gain more than I use on them.

1 Like

I’ve been there twice today and killed everything twice, Mostly birdshot and 9mm pistol from the Hunters and a bit of smg - you see, they’re really just not trying! I was under artillery bombardment continuously the first time - was there a dual purpose? there was not, not a one.

Bizarrely I sent my third character to go and pick up a 4* pistol I’d dropped in Normyra, and he found more 7.62 per box and more boxes with it than I did. He’s not even at level 1. Weird…

When I dropped the pistol, I was doing a shopping run, and found exactly what I told you I would - Normyra from front to back: 350 rounds of fmj, (300, 'cos i already had 50) and 210 rounds of AP. That’s with one ammo salvage unlocked.

1 Like
1 Like

Lol now the tanks are hard … and a lot more fun!

3 Likes

I think tanks are great. Not to call you out in any way, but they are supposed to be the baddest mob; If you are in open country engage them over the rise of a hill or it will hurt! Learning tactics for them hurts yes, but a huge machine with crazy firepower vs a squishy target - you have to learn what works. I engage them solo and find a place to shoot off the guns, then avoid shockwave to finish them. You can do it!

2 Likes

Hmm, in the latest video by Tene, it seems Tanks are not firing its machine guns if you stand moderately close to it - how is that so?
I find it a little odd that it doesn’t blast you to oblivion with its guns in that scenario. I know it can sprint now, but don’t you think it’s kinda buggish that the Tank does not fire its guns when you stand right in front of it? :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe it had a brain freeze. Me and a friend assaulted the airbase recently, and we fought hard against a FNIX Tank that would target us with it’s machinegun the second we popped out from cover. I tried to get close to it, but it shot at me regardless of range. One of the toughest fights I’ve had, now that I think about it.

1 Like

Ok… It’s just that I believe in several of Tene’s videos, the Tanks seem not to shoot its machineguns. Maybe Tene has a secret trick up his sleeve that he should share with us - or maybe he’s just damn lucky… :sunglasses: :wink:

1 Like

Preparation is key to all success.

Confidence makes sure you remember it.

1 Like

I think they’re too easy to kill due to stupid AI, but I feel like if they were smarter, I would have to agree with you that they’re slightly too tanky. I find myself ads around corners picking away at their legs while completely safe a lot. They still take sooooo many shots to take down though.

1 Like

@Krausladen They did make them smarter by making their AI much more aggressive and unwilling to give you breathing space.
from the most recent update to the combat roles of the AI
OLD
The tank only used its machinegun at a range of about 20 meters. NEW : They now use their machine gun at a range of 50meters to 120meters.

Rockets and ticks are on a rotation now so they have to reset/reload/cooldown before being used again
so a pattern could be a salvo then ticks then another salvo or salvo then ticks then more ticks or a machinegun belt

to summarise this up tanks are harder than previous.

1 Like

Honestly I see no issue with tank difficulty. A friend and I can take on two Fnix and a Apoc plus all there tag alongs. It’s all about strategy and prioritizing during battle.

1 Like

With the introduction of difficulty levels, tanks aren’t that hard if you choose Adventure Difficulty.

1 Like

Not quite Tanks, but there were 6 of them, 2 behind the 4 that are not visible in the screenshot and 10 Runners from what can be seen Lmao.
Guerilla difficulty!
RIP ammo!
Still victorious!

You need to change up your playstyle to deal with multiple Tanks, I have had 4 tanks in a cluster granted I had a backup but they always bombard us and autocannon when close enough.
Use EMP Shells with the Carl Gustav, close range, switch weapons and unload on the Autocannon, the easiest way is to take out its offensive capabilities if you are good enough you can drop EMPs by its feet.

1 Like

Hear hear!

Agree 100%, even with scaling turned off and difficulty turned to “Adventure” its ludicrously hard!

These types of things takes the word FUN out of the game!

I had a similar discussion on the Bethesda Board regarding Doom Eternal, and was almost shelled with the expression, “Git Gud”
FFS, i grew up with Pac Man and Galaga, Centipede, so i know what difficult games should look like. Games of today have a different scaling. And they spoil the gamer in holding their hands almost though the whole experience.

As long as this hand-holdning is absent its ok, people adapt and overcome. But implement this feature in to many games and people soon will be used to it and demand it in every upcoming piece of software. Cause we, WE, are getting either lazy, comfortable or plain spoiled. So when it later comes a new game with different scaling and difficulty people freak out.

This is where game demos come in, if you the gamer have the possibility to play a game in advance and try out the mechanics and get a feei if its for you or not. Then its a fair deal. This was not happening with DE2020. We know why, cause of greed. So many are frustrated and angry and rightly so.

I have Nier Automata, and i will never finish that game. And if i would have had a game demo, i would have bought it either. But i will but FF7 and RE3 cause i got the possibility to try them out. And they work on said hardware.

Sorry, got carried away a bit there. but thats me!

Yeah, in short, tanks are to hard!

1 Like

pick your fights carefully , if you go all in rambo solo , its obviously going to end badly . also remember about targeting of machines , it can be disrupted and changed , also that a co-op player can be targeted by a machine and chase them while u unload hell on them. its all strategy .

2 Likes

I play on the PS4, and I find myself having a harder time trying to dodge Tank’s missiles and mortars. The missile’s spread always seems to get me and the mortars blast radius is incredibly large (I can see where the mortar will hit and no matter how far I am it will hit is I’m the tank’s target). However, I didn’t seem to have as much of an issue with this when I was playing on another friends world (I learned they change the difficult setting).

I learned to find shelter (to avoid at least one form of their attacks) and take out one of the weapons (taking out both seems to turn them into rampaging stompers). Once that is complete start aiming for soft spots (the tiny head that holds the gun, the eye on the left side, shoulder joint, ect) when one soft spot blows move the next.
Fireworks are very effective in dazing them long enough to do damage while in the open, and is best when they are alone.

1 Like