Unique cuisines around the world

I’m super glad that I created it! so many delicious recipes here! credit goes to @Aesyle for the title, thanks!

4 Likes

I should not read this thread when I’m hungry.

5 Likes

Where I live sauerkraut is cooked with bay leaves and juniper berry. Redcoal is also cooked with this. But caraway seed and cumin seed is also known in germany.

I can’t wait the time that I can drive to north germany to the baltic sea and have a Matjesbrötchen :yum: at the beach wit a cold Flensburger Beer.:smiley: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That looks really good!!!:+1:. I love coleslaw on my sandwich! Though, I typically go for pulled pork over beef. Unless I am at a restaurant. Pulled pork isn’t the same if it’s not home made! :joy:

1 Like

Best thread ever !
Food really unites everyone :innocent::sweat_smile: :cake::beers::poultry_leg::hamburger::stew:

3 Likes

Denmark is a ridiculously small country but there is a few things we do pretty well. Lunch! If a Dane invites you out for “Smørrebrød” you are in for a treat. You will most likely be served marinated herring, sole, liver pâté, roastbeef, and all kind of cold cuts (sliced charcuteri) you can think of. All delicately arranged on sliced dark rye bread garnished with vegetables, mayonnaise, pickles, shrimps, caviar … imagine it and it is there:

A plate like this should keep you going with a fair margin until dinner. The full monty would be something like this:

Cold beer and ice cold Rød Aalborg is mandatory.

Now, Sweden have something not entirely different and renowned all over the world, namely the “Smørgåsbord”. Perhaps a Swede would care to elaborate?

5 Likes

That looks all soooooo delicious. And it’s great to see how similar our dishes are, especially sauerkraut and blood pudding.
@DeadWanderer I already ate borscht and solyanka when I visited Dresden east germany. It was soooo delicious. :yum::yum::yum::+1:

I visit my aunt every summer, and she lives a bit further south than me and on the coast.
near where she lives is a restaurant called,“Tidal Raves.” It has the best Dungeness Crab cakes that I have ever tasted. this a picture I found on google
tidal-raves-seafood-restaurant
they also served Perrier sparkling water in tall glasses
download%20(2)
it’s probably the fanciest restaurant that I’ve ever been to.

2 Likes

And pulled pork is also a project for the upcoming weekend. I have a pork neck filet ready in the fridge. Usually I don’t feast with such amounts of meat, but pulled pork is soooo good and I still have lots of cabbage and carrots for another batch of coleslaw :smile:

1 Like

That is a dish what we germans are well known for. The “Eisbein” a cured and coooked porkleg served with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Depend from the region of germany it is called Hämmchen (Where I live) or Haxn (in Bavaria) or Stelzen in Austria.

That is the grilled variant

after that you need a Aquavit.

And here is a little dish that goes every time and what is well known in my surrounding
it is called “Köllsche Kaviar” english Cologne caviar.

that is “Flönz” with onions mustard and a rye bagel in the background that we call “Röggelchen” . That bagel has a very crispy crust.

4 Likes

Just checked their website. That looks really good! My gosh would I love to sample the Pacific Oysters. Never been to Oregon. I have dined at Legal Sea Foods in Massachusetts though. Oh, … New England Clam Chowder … Atlantic lobster … Yummie!

God, all of your guy’s food looks so much better then ours. cultural america :frowning_face:

1 Like

I love meat! Smoked ham is my favourite!

I used to love going down to a local beach whenever I visited my aunt and I would look for fresh oysters and gosh were they really good oysters, my uncle can cook!

2 Likes

Ever been to topsail Beach? They have the best highway 55!!!

No I haven’t been there. what’s the food scene?

The US, I feel, has a lot more Mexican and Italian food than anything else. That’s what makes this thread so difficult. Everybody keeps posting these delicious looking food from their different cultures. All I can think of is cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and various chicken meals. :joy:

Some seafood and Italian, besides the Highway 55, is all I remember. A couple of bar and grills I think.

I think because the US is so full of different cultures that the most special thing that you can eat varies family to family. so nothing besides burgers and pizza is a nationwide food

might be a problem, might not.

1 Like

I completely forgot about pizza! I love Ci Ci’s!!!
I guess that’s true. What you said about America.