We might need a Backpack DLC soon

With all these weapons and accessories we have, it’s becoming harder to carry my stuff. I carry my favorite 4 weapons plus my other items that I need in battle. I’m already carrying the bare minimum just to have 10 turrets with me for bigger fights. I did come across this old pic. I think the Devs had the intention to give us backpacks at the beginning. Maybe 1 free base backpack plus 1 DLC backpack with 3/4 larger sizes would be nice. What do you guys think?

Player on the right has on a backpack.

Yeah there even was a short video somewhere, where you could see a backpack.
Someone once mentioned that at the very beginning they were indeed planned, but removed due to some greater technical issues.

So much changed since then, especially the inventory itself. Maybe it’s time to try it again.

There are so many topics with cool suggestions for backpacks…

1 Like

5c backpack?

7 Likes

What is he carrying his robo dogo ? Or is he getting ready to fight the reaper with a pistol

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:You can put a whole Reaper in that backpack.

I see. I really wouldn’t mind paying for backpack dlc. I need it!:grin:

Put me down for this! I would love this idea if it’s possible. :smile: :+1:

1 Like

Having backpacks would kind of make carrying capacity skill useless. Why use points on that skill if you carry capacity can be increased by backpacks. Skill points aspect is linked to this also.
With conjunction with the skill player might go just being mules to carry hundreds of kilos items around.
Even now the maximum carry capacity skill allows you to carry huge amount of fire power and equipment to deal any fight.

Do you really need to carry whole plundra inventory with you? Being able to equip for every situation kind of spoils some game play aspects where you have to choose fight or not because your limited armament.

3 Likes

Please allow me to disagree here. I believe that the backpack could be a “in addition to” feature. Where it’s stats are preset or fixed. Meaning that it will only add a set amount of weight and or certain items can go in it. For instance what if just carried things that could be setup like Homing or Machine Gun Turrets etc. If it can only carry say an extra 20kg and just specific items, I think it would make quite useful.

Maybe it could also add a 2nd wheel for just those type of items as well. I hate being limited by just 8 items. If you can make or find the rare backpack, you can unlock that 2nd wheel to place items quickly on the ground as well as carry your weapons and first aid in the 1st wheel.

Granted this is all for fun. I’m not asking for this, just an idea. What does anyone else think?

1 Like

Yeah, I made several suggestions for backpacks in the past.

They could work as apparel with different types and styles of backpacks could grant different effects or features.

The skill itself could stay as it is or maybe get adjusted slightly… Or even could be removed if the backpacks also could do its job. Say, it depends on how the backpacks are done and If a skill revamp comes at the same time.

In the apparel tab we could see all the backpacks that we find and maybe initially have (a basic one) and switch them easily.

The could be categories of different backpacks.

- Basic ones with different sizes.
They just would give additional carry capacity.
For example:
S: 5kg
M: 10kg
L: 15kg
XL: 20kg
XXL: 30kg

- special/experimental backpacks with additional features.
These just give a certain amount (comparable to M or L size) of carry capacity. Additionally they could have

• A trophy system with a chance to destroy incoming projectiles
  • A health pack that constantly heals 1hp per second (just as example)
  • A mobile field radio, so that teammates always can fasttravel to your location
  • Support backpack that offers additional space just for certain items
  • Fighter backpack that offers additional weapons wheel spaces
  • a backpack with a builtin jamming devices with a chance to be not detected by machines
  • and possibly much more

Each backpack could have different visual stylings that could be found and selected, like currently any other apparel has different versions. Grey, Green, blue, Red, black, White and different camouflage versions.

2 Likes

Still that is 20kg away from you primary inventory. And it would still add 20kg carry capacity of any items in your primary inventory.
Making backpack carry X-type of items only, would make bias to certain type of playing style.
Possibility to players feel left out from this backpack update if it doesn’t fit their play style.

Companion is already dimension pocket inside your pocket. Stuff items in companion inventory and pick it up. Companion only weights 1kg.
Base argument in most common level is same, i want more space. This has been on going from the release of the game.

Maybe if the backpack reduces primary inventory size by -20kg, and adds 35kg specific item space.

I agree that the companion is definitely useful in the regard to carrying things. But in suggesting the companion you disregard your own argument …

Not everyone likes the companion and it doesn’t fit their playstyle now. Now, I’m not one of those people but just saying that for those who don’t want the companion, this could be an added delight! LOL! They could use the backpack in place of the companion to carry more items.

Still, I agree that the backpack may not be relevant or even feasible at this point. And no, some may not like it, but I like the idea. And so I say, we agree to disagree. But its all good!

Just keep up the fight against those machines! :smile: :+1:

1 Like

Of course, if we DO get a backpack DLC, you can probably guess what comes next.
“Please increase backpack size” requests. It never ends. We already have Plundra and Workbench storage increases, and a companion that helps carry things for us. And there’s fast travel.

I think we’re doing just fine.

1 Like

I see your point about players asking for more space. A lot of us have been managing my inventory quite well over the years even before the Plundra upgrade, but with the addition of so many new weapons over the years, it only makes sense to give us a little more carry capacity in the form of a backpack “DLC”. That way, players have the “choice” to get it or not. The Devs have given us a truck load of items, but we only have 2 pockets to carry them with. There is only so much we can manage. But here’s another take, this is a post apocalyptic game, correct? What post apocalyptic game, movie or TV show where you don’t see survivors carrying backpacks? We’ve been carrying all our stuff in our pockets since 2019. Jk🤣 All I’m saying is, there must a balance. Right now, we have way more “different types of items” that we can carry.

You’re right! Most of the players in my GZ club don’t use the companion and keep it in the plundra. Sadly, that why they’re in the “companion is stuck in the plundra” situation right now. Even Wired Gaming don’t use it. He’s a big Advocator for GZ on YouTube.

1 Like

And that even although the companion is a magic bag…

2 Likes

It is! That extra 30lbs comes in handy. I mostly keep turrets on it because those bad boys are 4lbs each, but I love them.

1 Like

Dang it buddy! You didn’t have to go and bring logic into this! :rofl: :rofl:

I agree with this statement. While I like the idea of the backpack, I would really love more a secondary wheel for immediate setup of turrets really. But that’s just me.

1 Like

I want to see an increase in size for the recycled resources box before any carrying capacity increase.

3 Likes