Weapon reskins customization

:+1:

What annoys me are those people who have played some other game and the mechanics in there are what they are used to. Then they come here (GZ) and since game mechanics are different, they cry out about it since in GZ, it isn’t the way like they are used to.

For example: there have been requests to add weapon selection wheel into the game (like the one in GTA V). Since a lot of players play GTA V, that weapon wheel is something they are used to. And now, they also want to see it here.

Making game similar to other game isn’t game evolvement. What makes game stand out from other games is it’s uniqueness (artwork, story, mechanics). And each game uses different mechanics to do something. Some mechanics are smooth and fast while others are clunky and slow. But that sets the games apart.
One of the later mechanics addition was weapon switch with mouse scroll wheel. I don’t like it nor use it since i’m used to the original weapon selection via hotkey, present since launch. It would be nice if it could be optional (mouse wheel rebind), rather than forced upon (as it is right now).

I value the uniqueness of a game, not how similar it is to other (popular) games. If all games would be similar to each other then what we’d have are (boring) clones.

Either they get used to with the mechanics in GZ or they go play some other game that has their beloved mechanics in it. That’s my take on it.

4 Likes

I get the request of QoL improvements like a weapon wheel for players who find it useful (I don’t). But I see this particularly with survival elements or other more story or content related features. This game is this game.

Hot keys are much faster and less error prone for weapons. I’d love the scroll wheel for the slots 4-7 only (“utility wheel”). And a rebind would be the best option, of course.

1 Like

I dont play other survival games nor AAA commercial stuff and that is why I like GZ, but to be honest I find the game too easy as it is right now so I would really like some features added to increase difficulty, survival stuff would be a possibility to make it more complex to handle but it doesnt have to be THAT.

Maybe less room for inventory would be another? weapons are too powerful as it is now. Or maybe a hardcore version would be nice, I had to drop my pvg experimental cause it is too broken right now you can kill everything easily with it and there is no more reason to use adrenaline shots anymore.

Ironically, part of what I find so engaging about GZ is how it pivots away from most of the survival genre. None of this, “you need to eat, drink, and sleep, or your bars will empty out,” garbage.

I’ve seen games where that did work, but so many of them it’s functionally, just, “you have four kinds of health, and need to refresh 3 of them with different recovery items, while you need to manage the third, and three are taking constant damage.”

It doesn’t mean there’s no potential to pick up interesting things from other games, but at the same time, GZ wouldn’t really benefit from a full base building system, or massive PvP.

I could see a skin system, with stuff like period appropriate camo patterns, but given how the machines “see,” it wouldn’t actually do anything. At that point, weapon skins would be about “showing off,” to other players, which is something we already have with the clothing system, and weapon skinning wouldn’t do much to contribute.

Additionally, there’s already a degree of weapon skins baked into the game, with each crown tier being visibly different from the tier below it. (Granted, the difference between adjacent tiers tends to be pretty subtle, aside from 1 to 2.) Want to show off that you’ve got a cool gun? Get the five crown version or the experimental variant. Now you can show off, and the gun runs better as a bonus.

4 Likes

Well said & I wish people would look (like you did) at the things that make this game unique not how they can make it the same as so many games on the market.
SPP

2 Likes

Exactly it is not game evolvement at all. Why do so many just want “cookie cutter” gaming I simply will never understand…Good post.
SPP

It can be a “comfort food” thing. “I enjoyed this experience over here, but I’d like it with a slightly different flavor.” There’s nothing wrong with that on its own, but, asking games to be more homogeneous, rather than looking at the unique things they do, is detrimental.

As a direct example of that, Generation Zero is the closest I’ve seen to a new STALKER game in years. (Not counting the mods, or the franchise zombie MMO.) I liked STALKER a lot. It was a really good, if QA challenged series. However, I don’t think Generation Zero would benefit from the addition of mutants or anomalies. It is, it’s own thing.

It can also, sometimes, be useful to look at other games and see what they do and how that works. In the context of looking at STALKER, I can say, the addition of a more conventional set of human NPCs, who operate in an ambiguous friend/foe state could have a positive effect on the game overall. If you’re seeing NPCs moving around in a town, but you can’t tell from a distance if they’re looters who will ignore you to scavenge, or looters who will turn on you the instant they see you, that could add some serious tension to the game. Does GZ need that? No. Would it benefit from it? Maybe. It’s a thought that’s worth kicking around, based on experience outside the game.

4 Likes

As you may know, I think that the game has a shortage of worthwhile rewards. The game basically has guns and accessories for the guns and that’s pretty much it.
Well, what if we could change things up a bit, to give players the ability to find stuff that feels more rewarding and special.

What I’m thinking of is the ability to find variants of the already existing ones that look visually different and have perks. What I’m talking about is, from an artistic perspective, nothing but alternate textures. Let’s take the AG4 as an example.

Sticker: IRL, some of the AK4’s had a black sticker with a ballistics chart on it. By equipping it in-game, you deal increased damage at long range.
Gentleman’s: Has a wood stock, pistol grip and foregrip. All adjacent players will earn more XP while this weapon is equipped
Camouflage: Late production AK4’s had the same olive drab paint as the later AK5 would have. This naturally makes it more difficult for machines to see you.

This principle could potentially be applied to all weapons in the game, although some skin-weapon combos could be odd, like pistols with ballistic stickers.

What are your thoughts on this?

1 Like

Same feature request topics merged.

//Mod

No. Just no. GZ isn’t Fortnite.

1 Like

It’s been quite a while since I played Fortnite, so I have no idea what you’re talking about. Isn’t it more similar to Fortnite as it is right now, with different colors indicating different conditions of weapons?

And also, why should we avoid a feature just because it’s in a really popular game? It’s not like I’m suggesting some garish CS:GO-style paint job, I’m suggesting stuff that really were a thing.

These are not some childish fantasy things, but stuff that existed in real life in Sweden in the 80’s. In fact, apart from the wood finish, which predates the Swedish adoption of this particular rifle, these were used in Swedish service.
And while soldiers aren’t allowed to customize their guns in stupid ways, a lot of swedish soldiers HAVE TO learn how to properly camouflage their weapons, most commonly for winter conditions by using white tape

The question is why you’re so strongly opposed to it. A major issue I see with GZ is the lack of rewards. All you get is gear and beyond superficial clothes (often every bit as stupid as what you see in Fortnite), there’s not really that much of it. This would enable the quite small GZ team to ad something that feels significant to the player (cool, unique weapons) at a small cost (new textures). It’ll allow players to make more strategic prioritizations of what weapons they use than just “whatever I happen to have ammo for at the moment”.

As a matter of fact, I really wonder if you read my thread before you merged it, because what I’m suggesting is quite different from the original post.

For that, you can read my above replies in this topic.

At best, while i can understand few, different color schemes for weapons, specific to the situation.
But cosmetic and practical additions giving “magical” bonus buffs? No. Just no.

Underlines for highlight:

People run around looking like Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, or a miniature FNIX tank and people are complaining about a weapon skin not being realistic,… are,… you,… kidding,… me,…

4 Likes

I’ve read your previous comments, I’ve seen your underscores and I don’t really see your point. All I see is that you don’t want GZ to be like more mainstream popular games, even though the implementation suggested is completely different.

None of the things I suggest are any more “magic” than what’s been in the game from day one. The ballistics chart exists to enable soldiers to be more accurate at range, but since GZ doesn’t simulate windage or bullet drop, increased damage is a good substitute. Camouflage weapons of course decrease your chance of being detected. And IRL, squad leaders are often given certain weapons to increase the morale of their subordinates.

GZ is not a combat simulator, it’s an FPS with RPG elements. Granted, it’s got quite a good atmosphere, but that won’t be ruined by period-correct weapon skins and fun stats boosts.

Kinda ironic when we currently have gilded guns with red wood furniture as 5* rarity. God bless gun model creator for being lazy and skipped on engraving.

As G3 monk myself I’d prefer this rifle being military looking as much as possible (though golden polish finish still gives me minor cringe). I am not against some furniture variety, but this is standart issue army riffle at the time (late 80’s), when armies weren’t that modular about rifles. Be thankful, that we actually have rudimentary rails for sights.

About highlighted by Aesyle Hogge’s quotes: this is Generation Zero, not GPayDay2 or BurgBorderlands. This one is already got some clowned in features that may appeal to “generic” playerbase, but ultimately being tickets to highway to (development) Hell.

Edit:

THAT’S the point. Me personally do not want GZ to turn into another conveyered mainstream slag.
And bullet drop may be simple, but is present. (try revolver with scope and IR module ot see it clearly).

About “gun camo” bonus. We already have it with the apparel, sometimes with ridiculous results. I believe that would work if machines used same optic mode as human eye. But we fightin’ against ubiquitous infrared sensors, monochrome nightvision and see-through sight - all that makes machines react to certain shapes and “warm spots”. So any rifle will be same shape for machine, even being painted vaporwave or “Asiimov” themes.

As said above and i’ll say it as well; there is a bullet drop in the game and all weapons have “predefined zero”.
Further reading: Meusser Hunting Rifle Inverse Bullet Drop

Already in the game; e.g

• incendiary rounds (6* AG4) = more, lasting damage
  • higher penetration (6* .50 cal) = damage to several machines at once
  • lightning arcs (6* KVM59) = more damage to several machines at once
  • two rounds fired in quick succession (6* m/49) = double the damage

No need to overkill it with silly “magical perks” that doesn’t make sense. Unless you’re one of those who thinks that RGB LEDs give more FPS. :thinking:

Incorrect. All what camouflaged weapons do, is making the weapon itself harder to spot for human eye. But the weapon operator is still at the same level of visibility. And for machines (also said above), it doesn’t matter which color your weapon is.

There is nothing funny in ruining the game, just because you’ve experienced it in some other game and want that in GZ as well.

1 Like

@Aesyle I agree with pretty much all the things you said although the only weapon skin change I could see that would work is ghillie wraps for guns. I know we are fighting machines and I don’t want any stat boosts it would just be cool to give players the feeling of being more camouflaged if they play that style.

1 Like

Not even like a full ghillie wrap like a professional sniper but if I was in this kind of situation I would at least smear mud and grass onto it.

I wouldn’t mind some weapon camouflage, as long as it made sense for the setting. Like a winterized version of the AG4 or AG5, perhaps improvised camouflage by the Resistance, et cetera. It doesn’t make any sense for 5* military weapons to be in stainless, brushed steel but they are because it looks good and gives reason for that weapon quality to feel a bit more special.

1 Like

@Zesiir Like just spray painted haphazardly like a inexperienced person would do? And if so I agree it wouldn’t be game breaking or change the base gz game I love I think. And as far as why I teenager would do something like camouflage their guns surely there are former military members in the resistance that would help instruct people.

2 Likes

As long as it fits the setting, yeah. No outrageous gold skins or something akin to the Borderlands games, but more down to earth. I’m reminded of those turrets in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 that the resistance have refurbished and painted to look different than their Combine counterparts.

2 Likes