Weapon Wheel Megathread

Maybe. That would explain slowly drifts of the camera. But drifts like when you’re walking straight ahead and suddenly the camera jumps about 90° left and 45° up, that’s hard to explain.

Changing dead zones or sensitivity in Generation Zero helped a lot. No more extreme drifts since then.

Is there a way to disable to weapon wheel on the PC? My game in now unplayable.

I take 2 steps & it pops up, I fast travel and it appears, I was reading some notes in a safe house and it pops up.

I moved the key from ‘tab’ to the ‘=’ key and the WW shows up randomly to say hello. It’s like Microsoft Clippie & you can’t get rid of it

Did you already try another key?
Did you check your keyboard? Maybe the key got stuck or there is dust under the key.

I tried moving it to a key completely on the other side of the keyboard, cleaned the mouse, air canned keyboard & soft vacuumed

Steam or xbox gamepass version?
Did you try to reinstall the game?

Does it work as intended if you reset the key to “tab”?

I’m a PC type. It still works, but I moved it to the ‘+’ key so I wouldn’t have to deal with it as much…the WW didn’t care

Personally I’m not the biggest fan of the weapon wheel and enjoyed having the two primary and one secondary slot with gear attached to the d-pad. I’ve gotten pretty used to the weapon wheel but it usually doesn’t allow me to work with having more than a medkit and either a grenade or diversion device.

I think that having the option to choose between the past weapon UI setups would be pretty sweet making it more a pick your play style than it already is.

1 Like

There’s a few possibilities for adding something that works like the equipment wheel, but that doesn’t limit us to a fixed amount (which is particularly important for people who like to have multiple guns and equipment in hand, and since the current default PC wheel only has 8 slots, that’s… Pistol, SMG, AR, Sniper, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Health pack, Lure and… wait, I ran of space for my binoculars…)

And let’s be frank, GZ is a game with lots of inventory options and potential situations, so the last thing you want is having to sift through your inventory window because you need to switch the type of health pack, or to reshufle things because you need a suppressed gun but forgot to put it in the wheel, or NOW you need those sticky flares, etc etc.

So I’d borrow the basic ideas from other games that are also heavy on inventory usage but assume that you can need anything at any time:

1. Metal Gear Solid
Since the very first metal gear, your entire inventory management takes only 4 buttons: “hold to show gun list”, “how to show item list”, and the two buttons to toggle said gun or item on an off your hand.

This has the downside of being fiddly when you need to find something and you have a LOT of stuff on your list, but this can be partially remedied by allowing the player to manually sort the list in a menu, and have shortcuts for a few of those items (on PC that would be the number buttons as usual)

The upside is that since the list goes to infinity, everything on your backpack is there, period.
2. Monster Hunter World
MonHun World takes the basic idea of MGS and merges it with an item wheel for a slightly more complex but also faster to access option, which is a configurable item wheel but with extra tweaks.

In reality, MHW gives you multiple item wheels: “once you toggle the item wheel mode”, you have a wheel (that you hopefully pre-sorted using the inventory menus) that you can select items either by using a stick on a gamepad, or your cursor if you’re on a mouse.

…So far, so same-what-we-have-now. But the trick is: it uses extra buttons to change the currently active wheel . On the gamepad example, you can use the D-pad to have quick access to 4 different item wheels (…or as many as you want if you just use left/right to sift through a list linearly, at the cost of sacrificing quick access). On the keyboard example, you can have your current 1-through-8 buttons, but then use, say, 9 and 0, or “[” and “]” to change to a different wheel, and presto. More items at your disposal, no inventory-sifting necessary.
3. Final Fantasy XIV
This one is hard because I’m not sure if it’s a patented system, and it’s focused more exclusively on the gamepad. It also has a steeper learning curve.

FFXIV uses a system called the “Cross Hotbar”, which is a system that allows you to cycle between three sets of “face buttons” on your gamepad, for a total of 24 shortcuts accessible with at most the press of 2 buttons at the same time. They use this system to allow people to access the whole plethora of skills and magic of an MMORPG class in the limited button space of a PS4 gamepad. And it works! I know lots of people who play with gamepads on PC because they prefer this system over having bars with shortcuts.

…Speaking of bars with shortcuts, for the keyboard and mouse folks, FFXIV also has an option: buttons 1 through = on the keyboard are shortcuts for the main action bar.
…But you can change the current active action bar with another button, meaning the same shortcut buttons can activate different things depending on the active bar.
Any of these 3 options, or refinements of them, could solve the problem of having so few inventory shortcuts; and a lot of them are platform-agnostic.

Sounds not bad, but is that something GZ really needs?

Compared to how GZ started, we now already have great possibilities to personalize our inventory and quick access.

Although I think it sounds good, I still think that we’re just fine with what we have now.

Where is the freedom of taking descitions, if you don’t have to take descitions, because you can do everything by quick access or do everything immediatly with just one or two button presses?

I agree with some needed changes regarding binoculars and gas masks and the dpad buttons. But that’s all in general.
Well, I once made a suggestion for a level based weapon wheel and some limitations on what you may place on which slot, but I forgot if it was a seperated topic or inside this megathread.

Finally I must say that this part of the game obviously is the most controverse one, but that’s just because everyone of us has different experiences with other games, a different taste and is used to different settings.

So, here’s the thing: I think there’s a bit of confusion when it comes to the sense of identity and gameplay direction in GZ.

The answer to your question of “is it something GZ needs” is “depends on what players it wants to cover”.

GZ has sort of an inherent identity crisis that’s a topic for another thread, but the gist of it is that it’s a deeply atmospheric game densely packed with environmental storytelling and possibilities for immersive exploration (something that deeply appeals to solo gamers), but at the same time has encounter designs, skill caps/speecializations and a base management endgame that fit far more into a multiplayer co-op PvE thing.

…And while both approaches are valid and technically can coexist, some of the inherent design directions are slightly different.

Let me give some examples:

• For solo players, the current skill cap is ludicrously low. You have to overspecialize to a degree where you’ll have major flaws that will be very hard or impossible to cover with tactics and/or equipment.
    …However, for co-op players, having 4 people means that if each one specializes on one part of the skill tree, all bases are covered and it becomes a fairly versatile class-based shooter.

• For solo players, the current carry capacity limits, as well as the storage limits, are also ludicrously low. Even with all the upgrades, 96 is a very low number for when you’re always scrounging for ammo, guns and healthpacks that you either need now, or will need in the future; and when you go back to base to stockpile on ammo, even will all upgrades, it’s easy to reach the cap of your storage chest with spare guns, attachments and a smidge of ammo alone.
    …This also applies to co-op players who like to store spares for trading.
    …But… this is also an inherent challenge imposed into groups of 4 where you need to manage “who’s gonna carry what”, who’s gonna be moving incumbered and who’s gonna run lean, who’ll be the ammo carrier, who’ll focus on throwing lures and traps, etc etc.

…And it’s hard to just “choose one side” because this means alienating part of a player base, which can be a death knell of a multiplayer game – specially one with such a mixed identity.

My suggestion would be finding a way to try to fill both cases:

• Make the weapon wheel changes I suggested, since they benefit everyone and don’t really cause issues for players who “don’t need more than what already exists”
  • Make it so players in SOLO MODE have far greater limits in cargo capacity and storage, since the current one vastly impedes their normal gameplay loop (and a lot of players resort to… “alternate means” to circumvent those limits)
  • Allowing players to have different skill specs between SOLO and CO-OP modes (with a Solo tree having a far higher skill cap, or no cap at all, and a Co-op tree having the current cap), so players can be the “Jane-of-all-trades” they need to be in SOLO, but also be the specialized class they want to be in CO-OP.

…I should make this exact post its own thread, now that I think about it.

1 Like

I like the weapon wheel myself i would like a few more slots to add to or maybe a second weapon wheel for consumables only like healing flares and turrets etc?

At the moment with so many items 8 is a very small amount.

1 Like

The amount is sufficient.
Take descitions for your best loadout for every specific situation.

Yes, that’s inventory management… A usual thing in games with an inventory.

1 Like

Its hard you need at least 3-4 weapons, 2 turrets and 2 healing… at low levels due to ammo and difficulty… that leaves everything else void basically…

In earlier days we had less of all (weapons, ammo, slots for weapons) and still were able to fight the machines sufficiently.

( :woozy_face: I sound like being old…)

2 Likes

I’m 49 i guess thats old, but for me this game is pretty hardcore to survive… the progression is very slow and the loot drops are mostly garbage and i’m level 11 already… still getting 1 crown trash. thats why i use the dlcs obviously they are vastly superior.

I’m on adventure setting.

For me as a console player the wheel is the worst thing that has ever happened to the game. The old way was much smoother to use. Now in the heat of battle it’s easy to choose wrong item. When everything was assigned buttons that never happened.
And in games like ghost recon you only have three weapons just like the old way in gz. But I know the wheel is here to stay. Unfortunately for us console players.

3 Likes

I think it’s ok for GZ.
It’s hard to compare with other games. We have many types of weapons in GZ, all for different purposes.

And in the heat of a massive battle (i. e. Base assault) I use almost all slots. The old system wouldn’t fit those demands.

1. Long range/precise shooting: exp pvg
  2. Main combat rifle: exp ag4
  3. Big boom for multiple targets or structures: exp granatgevär
  4. Medikits
  5. Distraction/support: sticky flares, firreworks, autoturret,…
  6. Support: homing turret, flamethrower, …
  7. Backup weapon/equipment: pistol, melee, binoculars, field radio, jammer, tickbomb
  8. Support throwables: grenades, emp

I prepare my setup depending on what and how I plan to do something and whether I play alone or with my mate.

But to defend this I must admit, that compared to earlier days there are now much greater hordes of different types of machines so that often there is no time or place to change the loadout.

That’s the negative about “more, more, more”.
It’s never done with changing one thing to have more of them. More enemies mean you need more or faster ways to fight them.

For the current frequency I have to fight enemies I just would be happy to have a faster reload speed. I already use the skills for that, but game became faster and now reloading is the most disturbing thing. In most cases emptying a magazine/weapon goes faster than reloading. That feels unbalanced.

Speaking about the weapon-wheel there is just one thing I’d like to see changed:
It would be nice to start just with 4 slots and to become able to use more of them with higher character levels or maybe even by learning a skill.

By that leveling up would feel even a bit more rewarding.

1 Like

Considering the pre-weapon wheel days, and presenting a scenario where you had the original access to a sidearm and 2 rifles, the “new and improved” weapon wheel only adds 1 extra slot than before. Players simply asked for easier access to more inventory. This is not what we got, and the devs don’t seem to be taking our criticism very well. Ignoring player feedback doesn’t look very good.

2 Likes

There are thousands of players, each with own expectations.

How should a studio fulfill all these?

The community wanted a change and it got a change. Instead of just 2 main weapons and a sidearm we now have quick access to up to 8 weapons… Or whatever you want to place on the slots. Yes, we’re now free to chose what to place on each slot.

Now, as it changed, there are some who don’t like it. The devs already tweaked it after the first feedback.

What’s next in your eyes? Change it every time someone doesn’t like it? Wow, then the devs wouldn’t do anything else for the rest of GZs lifetime.

And you can’t just put a bunch of options into the game to meet every taste. The old system and the new system are incompatible with each other. There may be other systems as well, but here’s the same again.

It’s not just a different UI and another button or trigger that have to be set up. There is a deeper core behind it, that must be well integrated into the whole game.

And the game may limit the possibilities, too.

Ah, well, I’m writing again too much just to explain that this is no request concert. We have ideas, expectations, concrete suggestions, complaints, feedback… and the devs just try to deliver us the best possible experience.

And this can be yours, mine or anyones else. But not everyones.

That’s always the risk for a community-feedback driven game like GZ.