Weapon Wheel Megathread

So, my take away from this thread is PC good, console bad.
I’m glad I play on PC. I hit a number and that weapon swaps or med kits or whatever. The old system was very limited because now I can carry and use 5 different weapons and 3 different size med kits. I don’t know what the ratio of PC vs console players are, but this thread is mostly the console players being unhappy. I’ve never played on console. Ever. So I don’t know the limitations for key binding but I do know that most games have to be optimized “read dumbed down” for consoles. Most consoles are old tech (relatively) and not upgradeable like PC’s are. I think consoles would benefit from a peripheral number pad. Maybe they should just keep two UI systems in place, one for console and one for PC since neither is compatible with the other.

This is a brilliant summary of the situation.

Unfortunately the feeling is that the devs focused on expanding the PC interface and didn’t think through how/if this would translate well to controllers.

This is shown by the fact that within one or two days of this being live, at least two different (better) possible implementation was proposed here in the forums.

What I think is disheartening is that during stream, first it was communicated that “they will get used to it “; here “they” being the controller players, not seeing all of us as “a player base”. And on later stream stat “we have heard you, but we don’t hear much negative feedback now”. Somehow hinging that all is good now.

My fear is that they fixed so that you now able to move when using the wheel and that they think that this is the minimum viable product, and moves on to something else, like…. Implementing adaptive triggers for PS, (also hinted during stream, which is a very cool feature for the PS5 players, “missing” on Xbox), but might not be a salvation for controller players as a whole…

3 Likes

I’m on Ps4. And I did my first real play session after the latest update yesterday. Against a reaper. And the wheel sucks big time. And the two friends I played with agree. One of them even left the game and said that’s it. This game is unplayable now. And he deleted it from the hdd. If we need the wheel it would be better to implement one like in ghost recon breakpoint. It uses the triangle Button for weapons the same way gz old system. And has a wheel for other stuff like med packs, grenades where you choose one that’s actived on a specific Button.

My conclusion after yesterday is that I’m not going to play this game that much anymore and probably not buy any new dlc as long as the wheel stays the way it is. It’s the single worst thing that ever happened to this game. But I did enjoy the new US weapons.

1 Like

What does that mean adaptive triggers? How would that work? Just curious.

There could be some kind of feedback in the triggers to that every weapon really FEELS different. Like a small resistance when pulling the trigger of the gun. Or that you feel, if your clip is empty.

For example call of duty cold war on ps5 has this feature and it feels great.

Edit: and idk, but I think that works on PC, too, if you use a dualsense controller.

2 Likes

Yes, depending on how “popular” this will become, game devs might implement support for this in PS5/PC games (and then maybe Xbox will join… :crossed_fingers:)

I think that’s a Playstation 5 thing.

Honestly, I think they should focus on supporting the existing platforms instead of adding support for new ones. (I’m saying this as the owner of many consoles, like the PS4.)

Look at No Man’s Sky from Hello Games. They added support for Xbox, then Game Pass, then VR, then next-gen consoles, but: the game is still a bit (some would say a lot) buggy; it dropped support for OpenGL entirely; they have no livestream, no vlogs, no newsletter, etc. Also, they are planning to support the Nintendo Switch later this year, with a real port (not a cloud-based rendition).

2 Likes

XBox X player here. Why not use the “Y” button to rapidly cycle through the options on the weapons wheel. It will switch between two weapons now. Why not just select the item by spamming the “Y” button to change the user selection…much faster than using the wheel like it is.

Not sure what the corresponding button would be on a Playstation controller.

1 Like

Triangle.

I think it would bring more problems than now.
"shit, pressed Y/triangle too often again… Once more, maybe this time I hit the medi pack… Or should I just use the wheel? "

Now Y/triangle is used to select the previous selected item. Therefore it jumps between two items. You could have your primary gun and health kits selected after each other, then you just have to press Y/triangle to switch for healing and then back to your weapon.

Or you do the same with your primary and secondary weapon.

It’s different to the previous method, but I got used to it. Works fine enough for me.

1 Like

No method is perfect, just think the weapon wheel is super clumsy & slow. I can more easily control how fast I hit a button. PC players it appears have distinct advantage in it looks like they can just hit a number key to rapidly switch items/weapons, or maybe that’s just the game displaying the slot number.

4 Likes

Yep, PC players can swap between each slot in the wheel using their number keys. Unfortunately controllers just don’t have enough buttons to facilitate something like that.

Your suggestion to use triangle/y to cycle between each slot in the wheel might be a similar solution, but I for one would not be a fan of that at all. I do understand that the wheel on console is pretty janky, but I’d prefer our current system to that.

I think that cycling slots with a button would be great. I think the wheel sucks on console. It happens that I in the midst of battle accidentaly select wrong item from the wheel because I move the stick a little bit wrong. I like the old way better. Then we had 7 items we could choose between easily. Now 8 but clumsy as hell. I still only have three weapons on my wheel so for me the old way is the better way.

2 Likes

That’s different for everyone.
I sometimes have up to 6 weapons on the wheel, but 4 in general.

9 o’clock exp AG4
3 o’clock exp PVG
12 o’clock exp Klauke, exp 12G or meele
6 o’clock advanced health kit

Lower left I always have the exp granatgevär.
On lower right, upper left and upper right slot I have in general grenades, sticky flares, fireworks, tactical equipment or additional weapons.

For AG4 I press R1+square, for PVG R1+circle, for Klauke/12G/melee R1+triangle, health R1+X.

The others I select from the wheel with the stick… For fast switching between the last selected two items I just use triangle.

Quite simple and flexible…for me. As I told, I got used to it.

4 Likes

I’ve got quite a similar setup, except I’ve gotten rid of all my equipment aside from health kits since I just never found much use for them.

So I’m always carrying 7 guns (I only need like 4 lol) and med packs.

3 Likes

Same thing here, but only 3 weapons (one of them melee weapon). Binoculars, healt pack, flare and radio are the other items. The adaptation was quick and did not cause much stress.

What bothers the most today are the constant crashes but this is an old subject to another topic.

1 Like

Got the cravings an went back to play for the first time in like a year. (Ps4)

That horrible inventory wheel really turned me off and it feels like it’ll be another year until my next session.

Some utter crap in my opinion, at least make it optional.

3 Likes

Your lucky I have 3 weapons in my inventory but can’t equip to the wheel so can’t drop and pick back up and I so not know how to equip them this game is far to complicated all it needs is an equip to wheel button

2 Likes

I was going to post a thread on all the poor design decisions for this game as I bought it on 21st October 2022, I love it but I feel the devs live in an alternate reality and they don’t actually play games they just develop them…looks as though this Is a dead game though considering the weapon wheel is still extremely bad now…plus the addition of that pushbike is the laziest attempt at putting a vehicle in the game, gta did bikes better on gta3 ffs.

I play on console and love the weapon wheel. Don’t know what your issue is.

1 Like

Try using the weapon wheel mid combat surrounded by 30 odd robots a d tell me you love it then. There’s plenty of games on console that manage to get their weapon wheels working as intended, no reason these guys can’t do it.

1 Like