What is the most Over Powered weapon in Generation Zero?

The EXP AG4 isn’t applying the DoT at the moment, unfortunately they didn’t fix this in the recent update, either. But I gotta also disagree since this thread is about the most overpowered, as in too strong in the meta, weapon, and the AG4 is pretty balanced imo, it can’t melt machines in seconds and at any range without the shock ammo, and with shock ammo it is very strong, yes, but nowhere near as good at crowd control as the KvM and and at quick single target disposal as the PvG.

Regarding losing health with the KvM, it requires some getting used to to estimate the arc range, but once you have it down you can really just EMP any number of enemies, start shooting and watch them plummet really quick.

Yes, it’s the opposite of overpowered. It’s well balanced.

I think I should try the KVM again… Maybe the crashes got fixed for me.

Compared to the PVG I agree partially. The PVG has no negative sides… Despite the fact you can’t use it with hip fire effectively. It’s a sniper.

The KVM has the negative side that you may toast yourself. But although you still use 7.62 ammo, it is very effective against everything, because of its experimental effect. Combined with a 5c extended magazine it’s a beast.

What is there to be fixed?

The Experimental AG4 effect is not working. It doesn’t apply the damage over time effect and basically has the same damage as a normal 5* AG4.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
Didn’t even notice that yet.

I did not find overpowered weapon yet. I guess there is no such thing at all. I am at the 32th level, have all DLCs and a several exps: KVM, AG4, Klauck, Kpist. Only the last one EXP Kpist is able to do some how the work. Just because you can shell an enemy with much more bullets per second. Especially if you have a good compensator and accuracy perks. In my opinion the concepts of experimental weapon/ammo are VERY low efficient. Most of the time you still have to spend a frustratingly big amount of ammunition on infinitely spawning robots. I think the game has a serious imbalance in this sense. E.g. in case of big robots, stealth in the game ends when you take the first shot. There are no headshots or critical shots :((( I would gladly give valuable resources for a little amount of cartridges, but which can destroy the robots instantly. Maybe because I play alone, but in the current gameplay I am having my hands dropped…

1 Like

Good points, but the one with the critical insta kill shot on big machines is going too far in my opinion.

It doesn’t match the background story, it doesn’t fit for the intended fear of being a small teenager against gigantic machines…
Ok, there are experimental weapons and they may be stronger than others, and of course you may have the chance to destroy any hunter (dependend on difficulty level) with a single shot (exp pvg), but more would be too much.

Instead I would like to see some greater effects of destroying their components. Yes, if you disarm them, they can just try to kill you in close combat.

But you still cannot disarm an apocalypse hunter, as far as I know…

But what about the machines eyes? I would love to be able to really make them blind… That they don’t know where the player(s) is/are and just shoot randomly somewhere.

That goes along with the player detection in general. One shot and they know where you are… This should be improved. Maybe ok for heavy and loud guns (sound detection), but it’s the same (at least for me) with silenced weapons. At this point: silenced weapons exist, but they are as weak that you need so many shots for a single machine that it would be impossible to destroy one completly without being detected (except proto runners maybe).

Oh… I feel I’m going off the rails… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This improves with experience. When I play solo and want to destroy machines without being detected it is very easy to destroy all the hunters and runners near a bigger machine and then use terrain, buildings, rocks and trees, just about anything big enough to hide behind. While slowly destroying that beast. Then not even trigger them into combat mode. It takes a lot more time than just using your most overpowered weapon, laughable, and blast away till done.

It is also fun to shoot something near a machine and make it look. Then they go back to just standing till you repeat the shot again, then again and a again. It looks like it is stuck in a loop.

More fun is the machine looks in your direction, the yellow combat status lights up and you hit something near them and it makes them turn. Then they turn back to you and start scanning again.
A level 6 AG4 and a level 5 silencer on single shot is weapon of choice.

There’s a lot of silenced weapons in the game that could be considered overpowered, since firepower has not been defined as any set standard. A silenced pistol like an N9 level 5 with level 5 silencer& mag is very handy at distracting the machines to get in closer to set traps or something.

But you learn how to distract the machines so they don’t know they are being destroyed, would that be considered an overpowered weapon you are using?

I know I don’t have as many hours as a lot of the regular posters in the forum but I do have enough experience and developed tactics that when I want to be, I AM the most over powered weapon in the game and it’s not from the use of any one weapon but what I have in my bag of tricks, the use of the terrain on the map and everything else to defeat the machines.

3 Likes

@JuanEyeJack I really enjoy your answers.

I was curious, the devs mentioned that they thought the Homing Turret to be very powerful, what do you think about the crafting cost is it worth the price of the turret?

Personally, I think I would easily see the Homing Turret as OP if the turret dropped from machines and loot boxes.

I might even venture to say the Homing Turret would be more OP than the PVG 90. If the turret drop as loot.

What do you guys think?

Homing turret is handy for small machine crowd control and crafting them isn’t very costly, maybe even cheap. Where it costs using them is the weight they cost to carry them. To be effective you need to carry a few and that weight takes up space for other resources that may also be needed.

I can see them more useful in a base defense operation. Where you have a locker full of them, pull out enough to deploy a defensive perimeter between waves of machines and the turrets take out the smaller waves of machines. If the turrets would just fire at the smaller machines, but they don’t. They are a waste when a salvo of 3 rockets hit a military tank and only a 1% drop in health is a waste of the salvo. I don’t do base defense, not in a game that base defense was popped in after 3 plus years of not being a base defense game. Base defense you know what and when there will be an attack, set up your defenses and pick off what your base defenses do not. I got bored of that before there were control points slapped into the game.

Needing to be highly mobile, I am still stuck on hunt and destroy, (what Gen Zero has always been) with just 4 weapons of four different specialties. And the ammo for each weapon. As a nomad I collect and loot what I use as I go, save up to craft exp ammo and continue across the map to destroy machines. Spending very little time at the safehouses to resupply/drop off resources and crafting. My locker only has what I use to destroy machines and my pack mule holds all the shiny stuff collected that was only fun to play with a little while or tested for performance then put into storage. Other than the two very first DLCs that expanded on the map and added to the nomad style of play, the pay DLCs have been nothing but a bag of candy that once played with for a little while, then tossed in storage will continued to be bought as a way to support development of the game, not for the bag of candy.

2 Likes

Though @JuanEyeJack playing style sounds very impressive :+1:, and I will definitely try his super ninja approach, but I also agree with @Madchaser about machines’ detection sensitivity. At least at average difficulty level (not guerilla) as an average gamer I would glad to see slightly less sensitive detectors. So that stealth has at least under some conditions a kind of comfort, so that they don’t run at you in a crowd or send all the rockets and gas bombs that they have when you fire just A SINGLE SHOT from a very slow hunting rifle, lying somewhere on the ground and far enough, and using a 5 star silencer. Or at least to blind them so that only a low distance optical sensor or audio sensors were available for them.

Well, in my understanding, overpowered should have been an experimental weapon/ammo. When as a reward for the effort or rare resources and hours spent in the game you get something impressive (e.g. insta kill ammo). After all, it’s just a game that should be fun at least sometimes, and not hard work all the time. I was impressed with how people on Youtube fought robots with EXPs a few years ago, that inspired me for the game. But looks like back then, things were different. The game has been updated, the EXP ammo has become more expensive per volume, but the efficiency seems to be lower. At least, I do not see the big difference shooting with fire bullets or lightnings or common FMJ.

The robots are so agile, powerful, and sensitive that I personally just can’t manage to take them down better using the technical analysis of their components or weak spots. But this concept is very interesting.

P.S. I like AT-WAD from DLC. It is my primary stealth gun through the game for small machines on short distance. I hope GZ’s developers don’t mess it up :sweat_smile:

You should try base defenses again.
It changed, the waves changed.

I don’t do them in general, too.
But last time I tried them it was shocking, how many tanks there were. No comparison to what it was initially.

It’s a nice idea to use the homing turrets in base defenses. I must try that. Besides of that… They are still a support, nothing overpowered that wins a battle for you.

I voted AI 76, since it’s chambered in 7.62x39 but hits as hard as the 7.62x51 AG4. It has a higher firing rate and a larger magazine too.

1 Like

Baseball bat. I would love to see a baseball bat that kan knock out machines made of metal and armor plates So It’s by far the most op weapon in the game considering it’s irl counterpart

2 Likes

These are the most important words.
You can add the pitchfork and the bow (standard arrows) to the list, but the bat is the best example.

The homing turret is Awesome its saved me so many times.

Ever since the first experimental weapons were introduced in GZ, there really hasn’t been much to argue about what’s the most powerful weapons in the game. By that I mean powerful in terms of how fast and effective you can bring down both big targets and groups off small ones.

We can probably agree that it’s fun to experiment with different loadouts for this and that situation, but for the most part I don’t fool around with that.

For maximum combat efficiency, I stick to this loadout:

1: Experimental Kpist SMG.
(Ext. mag. / Compensator / Iron sights)
Fast, deadly and accurate enough to hip-fire even at medium range. Use for quickly taking out small targets.

2: Experimental KVM 59 LMG.
(Ext. mag. / Compensator / Iron sights.)
Second to none when it comes to destroying large groups of enemies. Chain lightning damages bystanding enemies, as well as wiping out all Ticks on the ground. Perfect for groups of Hunters, Runners, or finishing off the big ones after they’ve been softened up a bit. Also, I find that using Iron sights is much more controllable than using a red dot on this weapon.

3: 5* Älgstudsare Hunting Rifle.
(Rifle silencer / 6-12x Scope / IR+OPV vis. mod.)
For taking out Runners and Seekers quietly. Simple as that.

4: Experimental PVG 90 Anti Materiel Rifle.
(Ext. mag. / 6-12x Scope / IR+OPV vis. mod.)
The most OP weapon in the game by a long shot, as I know the original post also states. But this beast simply destroys everything. Short, medium or long range, it doesn’t matter. Just shoot and watch your target go boom. It’s so powerful that it makes carrying a Granatgevär or a RPG unneccesary, something I suspect many players of not realizing. Whatever you can destroy with an explosive launcher, you can destroy faster with the PVG. I also advise using the 6-12 scope, and not the 8-16, since most fights occur at medium range.

Other than this I carry as much ammo and medkits as possible, in addition to a few flares, fireworks and some gas for my dirtbike.

Optionally, I could carry an RPG into a base assault, just for blasting through walls, but the ammo is heavy and it’s really not neccessary.

I destroy everything with this loadout, even at Guerilla difficulty.

The most OP weapon in the game is the player’s mind. After X amount of hours played, you know the machines’ weaknesses and how to anticipte their movements. You know how to avoid damage and not be surrounded or overwhelmed.
Play smart, and the game supplies you with enough ammo, medkits and adrenaline to keep you going indefinitely. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@NJR87, when I read people saying “most overpowered” I feel that they are talking about a weapon that is way too powerful and need balancing. So to me it is not clear what this discussion is about.

It seems that some people mean to say the “most powerful weapon” instead of overpowered, because to me the exp PVG has “sort of” the correct power, and is not overpowered. I believe you do not mean overpowered, or do you?

4 Likes

Thx Gysbert.
That’s what disturbs me most, too.
Overpowered is the wrong word, unless you want a weapon to get nerfed, because it’s too strong.

2 Likes

@Gysbert I suppose you are correct, that «overpowered» is not the right word. Yet, it’s easy to fall in the trap and use that word anyway. :sweat_smile:

I agree that the exp. PVG 90 has the «correct» amount of power, as you say. However, it can be argued that this amount of firepower is «overpowered» because of how easy it is to handle this rifle in-game. If the weapon was as hard to handle as it is IRL, it would not be «overpowered» at all. :+1:

2 Likes

I have a two crown PVG and its pretty useless…

Personally prefer the DLC RPG and M49 Rocket Launcher at lower levels 12-18. Even DLC grenade launcher helps. The bow was great at early levels. but its been outclassed now. The DLC N60 is my go to machine gun its imo the most accurate and kills even top mechs faster. The others are more damage but are so inaccurate.

I’m still too low for Experimental weapons.

The DLC homing turret is a great omg button imo.