What makes you immerse yourself into GZ?

There has been a lot of talk in this forum about immersion into GZ. It usually comes up in discussions about other issues and the feelings about it are often strong and diverse. Some wants the game to be more survival with eating and drinking being a part of it. Some wants the machines to be more challenging and the damage they cause you less forgiving. Some wants new and exotic weapons, some wants missions, some wants exploration and looting, some wants crafting, some wants working cars and helicopters, some wants non-player characters to interact with, and a quite a few wants more robot types (and generously provides fine ideas of how they should look). I believe that all (or most) of these feature requests serves the purpose of immersing the player more into the game. I havenā€™t found a topic so far that deals with immersion generally, so if Iā€™ve overlooked it, just direct me there.

I find the world itself as the primary driver for my immersion into GZ. It is so beautifully crafted that when thinking of places in Sweden I sometimes wonder if Iā€™ve actually been there or just seen it in GZ. Then there is the details. When I look at the starry nighty sky Iā€™m looking for constellations, shooting stars, or even satellite flares. When I walk along the shores I sometime find myself looking for a bottle with a message. Or if one day the sea would rise and the waves be foamy. When I look at the remote shores I look for signs of life. In houses I would love if I would find boots in the hallways, clothes on beds or in wardrobes, that could be opened, wristwatches on bed tables - all stuff that could be picked up and looted. I would love if stores and office spaces on the mainland could be entered (like on HimfjƤll) and that we could find tools to break open the doors. And that the interior would vary more in houses and other structures. Perhaps we would find a key in a drawer in a house that would work on a safe somewhere. Or a ā€œtreasure mapā€ to a place worth visiting. Not necessarily as a mission with mission markers, but more like puzzles we had to figure out, I love finding special places in the forests where none of the missions take you. Hidden places you find when you explore.

I know that some of these things have been mentioned before, but I hope that others will contribute with things that contribute to make GZ real for you.

5 Likes

ThatĀ“s are super IDEA for the Future from the Game, i hope it too, itĀ“s make the game are interested

2 Likes

@IanForce
I too am more of a purist.
Hence I objected NPCā€™s so hard, and hoped I could kill them off.
The lack of said was justā€¦ magnificentā€¦

I want much harder machines, yes, but the damage does not even have to be that high, nor the armour.
Just more movement and intellect.
Moreā€¦ militaryā€¦ moreā€¦ spec/black ops style.

The land in itself, the soundsā€¦ leave it at that, for my taste.
Itā€™s justā€¦ GZ!

I fully agree.
Darn good post, brother!!!

2 Likes

First off, i think we need to make clear what ā€œimmersionā€ stands for.
For that, @tene gave a very good explanation:

With that being cleared, itā€™s not what is or is not in the game, that makes people feel immersed, but instead peopleā€™s own choice of becoming immersed.

As soon as i launch the game and hear the awesome main menu theme, iā€™m becoming immersed to the GZā€™s universe. Entering the world and seeing myself through my charā€™s eyes completes my immersion into GZ.

For me, it isnā€™t about the things to do or POIs to see that makes me ā€œmore immersedā€ or the lack of something which would ā€œbrake my immersionā€. As long as i am in the GZ, i am immersed.

Way back then (launch day) there wasnā€™t much in the world in terms of interesting POIs to see or stuff do to. And at times, world was completely empty of machines as well. Standing in the middle of nowhere, next to nothing, in a godforsaken place, without any soul or movement as far as eye can see, i still feel that i am really there (immersed).
Now, there are more in it: stuff to do (challenges + rivals) and more to see (HimfjƤll + more POIs at Archipelago) but they are there to provide more entertainment.

Of course, no virtual world is as good as real life is and there are always aspects from which one can distinguish virtual world from real world. Even VR with a headset doesnā€™t fool people since in the end of the day, people still know it isnā€™t real. So far, dreams (when sleeping) are closest to reality since sometimes, people canā€™t tell a difference at all if it is a dream or reality.

2 Likes

Okay, @Aesyle, perhaps there is some confusion in here about the definition of the term ā€œimmersionā€. So instead let me put it different:

When I watch a movie I usually ā€œget into itā€. If, however, I during the film start looking at my wristwatch, Iā€™m not so much ā€œin to itā€ anymore ā€¦ I get bored and lose interest.

What makes you ā€œget intoā€ GZ ā€¦ that is not wanting to look at your wristwatch?

Please try to understand what I"m trying to say here, @Aesyle. Iā€™m not a philosopher and Iā€™m only mediocre at English. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes! What makes you stay in GZ?

Edit: Oh, by the way, look at the title of the thread. ā€œWhat makes you ā€¦ā€ indicates a choice you make. So perhaps my English isnā€™t totally useless anyway. What makes you make that choice ā€¦ this is what Iā€™m asking :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In short: my willingness.

Long answer:
For possibility to understand why iā€™ve stayed with GZ for so long, we need to go way back, back in time, to the point where i bought GZ and first started playing it.

Before GZ officially launched at 26th March '19, i saw some Beta gameplay vids from Youtube. From those vids i saw what GZ is about. Since GZ reminded me Deus Ex in many ways (latter is my most favorite game), i decided to buy GZ.

Beginnings were rough, both the difficulty wise and game stability wise. Game hard crashed a lot on me and by ā€œlotā€ i mean literally in every 5 mins or so. Only when there was a night-time in the game, game somehow was stable enough (for about 30 mins) where i was able to progress my missions.

Here, the question would be why would i put up with all that? (extreme game instability) Why suffer and why not just quit?

To understand ā€œWhyā€, hereā€™s an example:
Letā€™s say boy and girl are walking but suddenly they trip and fall down. They both get up and continue walking. But they fall down again and get up again, so forth until 5th time they both fell down. This time, boy gives up and wonā€™t get up to continue walking. Girl, in the other hand, gets up and walks forward, while knowing very well that she can trip and fall down again.

If you understand why girl got up and continued walking, despite falling down several times already, then youā€™d also know why iā€™ve stayed with GZ for so long, despite all the hardship.

2 Likes

Perhaps the boy just chose a less rocky road? But as I understand you, the girl continued in the anticipation of something to come? Somewhere along the way the paths would become stable and the view would open up and reveal true beauty (while the boy probably ended up in the pub with the usual bunch :wink:). That would explain your willingness, and that makes good sense to me.

But was your willingness rewarded? Did you get to the beautiful scenery? And - more importantly - what do you consider a beautiful scenery? Suppose I understood your analogy correctly, what makes you stay on the bench enjoying the view? Is it the sunset, is it the birds and their song, is it Venus that appears low over the horizon as darkness falls? Or is it the crate beside the bench with new experimental weapons you grab, when you discover the new Rapture class of hunters heading towards you?

Itā€™s the lore.

At current moment in GZ, iā€™m on the pathway without knowing where i came from or even what i am. Also, where the path leads to? To get the answers, i need to continue walking on the path, learning the truth and also seeing how it all ends.

3 Likes

Thank you for this beautiful answer. :heart:

I should have guessed, since you are one of the few in here that seems to have picked up and managed to keep track of all the details in the story so far. You have enlightened me quite a few times in that regard. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

While I agree PARTIALLY, I disagree partially as well.
Sure, it is upon the person doing X (reading, gaming, daydreaming, ā€¦, it is NOT!!! totally upon that person.
The world he gets immersed in can be BROKEN!!! by external factors disturbing that person.
Few examples: a griefer (VERY well-known concept, I do not need to get into this any deeper, right?), Oddities (example ASTRONAUT machines (LOL)), dead soldiers getting up and talk to you, dead TVā€™s restoring magically, bugs, crashes, plundra, wife talking, I can go on for ever.
Certain things CAN absolutely break immersion from external side.
Do you disagree?

And thus, no, not quite soā€¦
IMMERSION: definition: a deep emotional and mental involvement.
Incorrect?
Someone bashing your skull in while you are immersed, I would say, that would likely BREAK said immersion?
Or do I see this wrong?

So, I am respecting your opinion and given points, but I just fail to agree in the post and statement, partiallyā€¦

Let me make an out-of-GZ-example:
You work at company X for boss Y.
Youā€™re TOTALLY involved, aye?

Now, Y comes to you, tells you out of the blue: ā€œKnow whatā€¦ just go home, youā€™re fired.ā€
What does that do to your given involvement? :wink:

Okay, Iā€™m coming in here. What is ā€œImmersionā€ and what destroys it?

Letā€™s take film (and Iā€™ve used this picture before, I know) and wā€™ll take ā€œTakenā€. In the film Liam Neeson says, ā€œI have a special set of skills and Iā€™m coming after you.ā€ So far, so good, Iā€™m ā€œimmersedā€. It turns out that his ā€œspecial set of skillsā€ lead him to re-kidnap a sick girl and drive her away in the back seat of a car while someone fires an AK47 on full automatic from less than ten metres away. Where is now my ā€œimmersionā€?

It is gone. He has no skills that would allow him to survive that, so the only reason he has done so is because the script reads, ā€œ60 rounds of automatic fire are fired at him from close range, but they all miss!ā€ I have lost my disbelief and immersion is permanently broken.

So - Immersion is the supension of disbelief.

Now, Generation Zero. In Sweden in 1980 there was not only a very strong hunting community, but also a very large territorial army, all of whom (I seem to remember from in-service discussions at the time) were allowed to keep their weapons at home. There has been enough time for an alarm to go out, and for all sorts of people to have made fast arrangements to go here, congregate there, hide over yonder, so weapons, ammo, ammo boxes in cars are perfectly believable. I think it would make more sense if medkits were nearly always found in the kitchen or bathroom, because thatā€™s where I keep mine. Furthermore, every base has an infirmary, and in that infirmary I would expect to find stocks of medkits, and cupboards full of adrenalin. But no problem.

Where then is the problem?

It has come because the community has demanded things in this game that they already havee in other games, and these havee beeen included without reference to Immersion. By what means does a machine, standing alone in the middle of a field, suddenly upgrade itself, repairing all its damage and increasing its armour and firepower, with no outside intervention?

Well, the only explanation is that the script says, ā€œSpawn instant Boss.ā€ This is just a bolt-on, and Immersion is broken because it is arbitrary. But it is also unnecessary! With a little more thought, you could have the enemy, being aware of you, creating a special machine (specially armed so you can have your drops) in a factory somewhere, that then hunts you across the world. More believable, and frankly scarier. Rivals are persistent, so if they are connected with the machine/net, they should have an idea where you are. We know that Von Ulmar knows you are out there, and what could be more immersive than that he has taken steps to deal with you? The Rivals become something not to farm, but an actual threat, which may catch up with you before you aree ready, or while you are dealing with something else.

Iā€™ve said in the past that the community splits into two - one the one hand those I call the Immersives and the others I call the Doom-Mongers (although we could call them the Shoot-Em-Ups).

My fear is that so far, the Shoot-em-ups have been given almost everything they asked for, and what they have been given breaks the disbelief. Ammo drops as you use rather than as they use; Bosses; Create The Base; Defend The Base, Waves; and more.

So what did the Immersives want? After the story reaches its conclusion, communication with outside agencies and missions to fulfill, and the start of a guerilla war between us and Von Ulmer. We might even need a base, but be damned sure, if Von Ulmar knows where it is it will be besieged and destroyed, so you better not be seen going in or out.

We want things embedded into the world, not arbitrarily bolted on. I kill rivals because they are an offence to the world - an offence to my sense of disbelief. They could have been embedded in the world, but they arenā€™t. Theyā€™re arbitrary, and without a backstory, disbelief is destroyed.

But so far every change takes the game further from the launch concept and further towards arbitrary ā€œActionā€ and it breaks my heart. I know Tene doesnā€™t care, but then heā€™s a Shoot-em-up, bless him, and awfully prolific! But Tene doesnā€™t care if a Rival is embedded properly into the world or not. It makes no difference to him - it is to the Immersives that it makes a difference, and a huge one. He doesnā€™t see how (I get that), but it doesnā€™t make us wrong.

So if Iā€™m a Dev, what do I want?

1. Missions, however tenuous (destroy that radio station, destroy that machine, investigate this factory)
  2. Evidence that Von Ulmer is trying to kill me (or is he???)
  3. Occasional random firefights that have nothing to do with me (possibly a house under siege that you can help the inhabitants, but who at the end of the battle refuse to come out and tell you to go away!)
  4. Machines collecting materials and going about their machiny business all on their own
  5. All further additions firmly embedded into the story.
  6. Medkits in kitchens and bathrooms, not on machines (reason to go into houses)
  7. Rocket Dogs drop rockets (just a personal beef).
  8. That the initial concept is front and centre, and never gets overshadowed by short-term ā€œaction devicesā€ā€¦

What we donā€™t need is the Shoot-em-ups telling us that we are wrong and have no view worth listening to, on the apparent grounds that if there are ammo boxes in cars, then Rivals as they are now make equal sense - they donā€™t, even if they canā€™t see why notā€¦

@SR_knivspark
@Avalanche_Pontus and others please read!
@IanForce
@Xogroroth
@Flick
@tene

5 Likes

@Bootie
Well said!
DAMN well said!!!

This is what I always said as well, just not this eloquentlyā€¦
You address some faults I addressed (in my own peculiar way), additions I went against, yes, we are so on the same page.

Now, the game could take an extreme turn, let me point at my aliens post: New machines and where to start

While yes, this is SO not GZ, it actually is in a way: it would STILL be PURE to the CORE IDEA of GZ: No NPCā€™s except mechanical ones (as the aliens never set foot on Earth), etc etc.
A whole different direction, sure, but it would not be ā€˜againstā€™ the base lore and game concept.
NOTE!!! that this was NOT a suggestion, but a POSSIBLE EXAMPLE, and NOTHING else.
So please, do not take it out of context.

I am a so called ā€˜Immersionistā€™, ā€˜Puristā€™ even.
I enter the game, as a ROLE PLAYER!
This means, I basically become the dude running the whole game.
So yes, moron added things annoy me, like that frakkin plundra that keeps stalking me, as this just is not logical.
UNLESS thereā€™s ACTUAL magic ingame.
Or, wellā€¦ plundra teleportationā€¦
But this tech has not been touched, nor has magic been touched, and yetā€¦ it just STALKS me.
Now, with that I can live.
Bikesā€¦ even if turned of, that too just STALKS me.
Itā€™s ā€˜everywhereā€™: inside machines, all safe houses, on my compassā€¦ I just cannot outrun the darn thing.
But, still, itā€™s notā€¦ killerā€¦ annoying to me.

Now, base building or motorized vehicles, or skiing, or UFOs or NPCā€™s or broken machine AIā€¦ that IS deadly annoying, extremely game breaking, to meā€¦

Butā€¦ that is me.
And this mere opinion, though, itā€™s more.
Not a FACT, but not an opinion either any moreā€¦

Right?

1 Like

Happens to us all when we meet Jesus :joy:

@Bootie, I tried so hard to find something in your post that I could disagree with, but I didnā€™t succeed. You summed it up very nicely for us ā€œImmersivesā€. And @Xogroroth, you too. I love your purist attitude to the game too, even though your craving for sharper machines probably wouldnā€™t work for me using an Xbox controller.

I like your wish list, @Bootie. Because this is what we can ā€œdoā€ something about. You know my stand on Rivals and experimental weapons, but it is already there. There should be something for @tene (bless him) and his likes (bless them too) too. Personally, I think that Rivals still could be fixed. Make them actively hunt you, take them out of the map, and let them be announced by the Resistance over a walkie-talkie you carry with you. I think I suggested that in a posting some time ago. And let us stumble upon a military lab somewhere that gives the backstory on the experimental weapons, as @Simulacrum_Protogen once suggested. Like if the director of Taken had let us know, that Liam had participated in a special course where he required the skill to avoid being hit by AK47 bullets. Iā€™m reasonably open minded and I would buy into that :wink:.

I almost regret that I used the work ā€œimmerseā€ in the title but then I finally checked the meaning of it in the Cambridge Dictionary. It says:

The fact of becoming completely involved in something: Total immersion in a videogame is almost like living another life

I think it covers it pretty well. When I ā€œlive another lifeā€ I lose track of time (I donā€™t look at my wristwatch). I intended this thread to be a place to list those things in GZ - present or yet to come - that will make that happen for you. And all you lovely ā€œShoot-em-uppersā€ are invited to participate too :grin:

@Bootie, you have watched the movie ā€œTakenā€ with Liam Neeson and it breaks your immersion. I certainly understand why. Now, you should consider watching ā€œShoot 'em upā€ with Clive Owen (and Monica Bellucci ā€¦ Oh my God!). It is ten times worse than ā€œTakenā€ in terms of Clive being bullet repellent, but it doesnā€™t break my immersion. Because it is basically a comedy and therefore all is forgiven!

GZ, however, is not a comedy.

3 Likes

The clue is ā€œin the nameā€ - Shoot-em-up.

But we already have lots of games thatā€™ll do that - we only have one Gen Z. Letā€™s fight for it. The Resistance begins!

3 Likes

OMFG!!!
THAT would be SO frakkin SWEET???
+10 billion to itā€™s power to itā€™s power to itā€™s power!!!
I DEMAND THIS!!!

Hell, I asked for a GZ Lore or Rule Book.
Turn it even into a full blown frikken Pen/Paper/Die Role Play even!!!
But yes, INFORMATION please.
What is the precise history, ā€¦

ā€¦
Because some say itā€™s the PLAYER alone oneā€™s job?
Hell bloody no!!!
Immersion is FAR more than mere the ā€œplayers jobā€!!!

Sadly, it is becoming a jokeā€¦
For many a reason.

Shootā€™mā€™up/SURVIVAL
And back here in Belgium it was sold as simply SURVIVAL.
Either way, I can dig the shootā€™m part.
I get however heavily ticked of by frikken HOARDING.

AMEN!

EDIT: I can seem like a total cunt sometimes, by how I put things.
For which I am very, VERY sorry.
I do not tend to overthink my responses, I open the REPLY, and begin spamming my ideas, feelings, opinionsā€¦
It would not be fair or honest, not to you, nor to MYSELF.
And sometimes people think I either attack, or insult them, but please, that is absolutely NOT the intention.
IF this is how I come acrossā€¦ please accept my apologies.
I do not ask for forgiveness, but please, accept my sincere apologiesā€¦

3 Likes

Most of us know you by now, @Xogroroth, and love you as you are :blush::+1:

1 Like

Love to see me buried. XD :wink:

Iā€™ve always been under the impression that Generation Zero was always meant to be a ā€œshoot robots with friendsā€ kind of shooter. A simple recipe, from an easy concept. The fact that Avalanche Studios happen to use a beautiful game engine and know their way around sound design is an added bonus that many seem to enjoy as well.

3 Likes

@Zesiir
Though it was mistyped (miss game typed, red) where I am, I can live with the shooter part.

But when folks start to request things ā€œbecause it is in game Yā€ or ā€œgame Xā€ I tend to get quite angry.
For one because I SO love Generation Zero, itā€™s concept, itā€™s story, the landscape, theā€¦ gameā€¦
And I just get horrified if this perfection gets changed by things that simply does not suit Generation Zero or itā€™s concept.

Sure, I am on break.
After likeā€¦ 6, 7 months of daily HOURS in game, I finally got fed up by the broken machine intelligence.
Been bringing this up since July, and after 8 months of horrible machine AI failure, I gave up.
That just is a statement on itā€™s own: the game had such a grip on me, that this agonizing AI failure could not get me away.
And this, just THIS, is why, especially for GZ, I am such an extreme puristā€¦
Because itā€™s sheer PERFECTION!

And why I can come across as a total cuntā€¦ though I do not mean thisā€¦

Post edited for profanity. Keep it civil.

/Mod