Why, oh why do some make to "my taste" weird suggestions

Yes, but what is the games reason to be then? What justifies us spending time debating it? There is a fast food restaurant on every street corner. If you try to compete with McDonalds on lousy burgers you are pretty certain to loose eventually :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

“Lose”, Ian, “lose”. They have “loosed” Rivals on us, and they are “losing” the plot…

On everything else you are correct in all senses…

3 Likes

I think we’d better let @Bootie finish his diploma :smile:

In any case, make a good case. All feedback is good feedback.

2 Likes

And the Danish class starts in five minutes, @Bootie … yeah, yeah, I love you too :wink:

1 Like

The irregularities of English pronunciation have always frustrated me. :wink:

I am sure the devs love their game. But without money, they cannot really do anything with that love.

Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

You are right, @Zesiir. And I have things to do too (though not as important). But I love the discussion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

“Bananas are marsupials growing pencils”?

2 Likes

If I didn’t love you, I wouldn’t say these things - it’s love drives me on… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Somehow this reminds me of Pinky and Brain. lul

1 Like

Well, you can only be so serious about a game :wink:

1 Like

Players of many different games often request these very features whether they’re relevant or not. For one example, No Man’s Sky was set up as a solo space sandbox, and the cries for PvP are many. The quantity of players requests tells you nothing about their quality.

2 Likes

So… will you clear up the thing with Obi Wan and the lizard?

EDIT: Ah, that lizard. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure the DLC needs fixes.
I have not yet made it there, I AGAIN began a new save due to new DLC (I do this every update/dlc to minimize issues).
From what I saw today in the stream, it looks good.
Quite a few machines, they seemed all very active, damn nice.
It’s however the base game which I am concerned about…
To me, due to the machines being as they are, I lost my believe in it, it seems no longer credible.
But that is me, and for GZ, I am a true purist.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima, MAXIMA culpa…
Ignosce me…

I so agree, but what is balance.
It is to sir Ennui different then to Miss Flick, and both see that different from you, and all of you see it different than me.
Hence I always hammered on making stuff optional.
This will bring more pleasure to no matter who, it is more open to all, if it was customizable.
ESPECIALLY therefore, I had asked back in the earlier days for a Modkit a la The Elder Scrolls/Fallout.
So each could make their own game basically, as he/she felt needed.
The devs were quite clear on that: Ain’t gonna happen.
I understand, I find it sad, but I understand nonetheless.

From a purely financial PoV, I think that is… “unsmart”.
Look at both earlier mentioned games, they’re millennia old now, and still get new mods.
Those games are ALIVE, even though tremendously old.
Mods make longevity.
But, who am I…

And still… it’s not (yet) here.

And I welcome it!!!
If optional…
PLEASE make things optional…

It’s not I the middle, it can be all extremes.
Again… if optional.
Modularity would speak far more to the big masses, I firmly believe.

And somehow I hope they will still release a Modkit…
That would help, I think, a lot?

True, though I can be quite an annoying prick.
Even you sir, said this.
And… you were certainly not incorrect. :slight_smile:

I’m so glad you see it as such, it is good to see, good comes from it. :slight_smile:

Unless you’re me.
The ever exception to the rule. :stuck_out_tongue:

GOD NO, not in GZ!!!

(JK, I did get the reference. XD )

1 Like

Bless you, Xogger :smile:

Oh, you’ve earned your own nickname! That is only bestowed to the few :blush:

1 Like

@IanForce
I feel so honoured… thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? Well sometimes it isn’t and sometimes it is. I remember a rainy night at midnight in the Turf Lodge, straining to hear where the gunfire was coming from three streets away, when suddenly a gunshot went off right behind us - we all hit the ground and I was lying in a deep puddle behind and underneath the tyre of a Landrover, waiting for the next round and thinking, “Damn, I’ve never had so much fun in my whole life.” It’s odd, is action!

2 Likes
1 Like

@0L0
“I love the smell of napalm in the morning…”
and
“Ain’t war hell… HAHAHAHAHAH”

Well sir… you certainly are not like most veterans i met/knew about, glad you had fun.

2 Likes

Balance, in terms of game design, is about adapting a set of mechanics rewarding or challenging the players for their behaviours. It’s shaping the consequences of player choices to encourage further play, and diverse play (and to discourage certain negative play).
Game balance isn’t really a per-player thing though, in the grander sense. Everyone will have a different experience, of course, and fit on a different part of the skill bell-curve, but the core principles are still the same for everyone. It’s a difficult thing to put one’s finger on. It’s something developed from educated guesses, and guidance from play testers and a little advanced maths. You can try asking your audience for feedback, but many will lack the vocabulary or insight to be truly helpful.
When balance goes wrong, either players find their range of options reduced, or they’re actively punished for choosing strategies that ought to be viable. It messes up choice and agency, and railroads players into specific strategies, behaviours, weapon choices and item uses. It’s not about unfairness, however. All games are unfair, but many are still balanced.

As a worst case example, let’s introduce a new enemy. Everyone wants harder robots, so here we go! We can base it on an incarnation of C-3PO, because any robot that can make it through adventures like his is definitely a force to be reckoned with. They lawyers won’t recognise him on account of the red arm. Let’s make him both very tough to kill, and give him deadly weapons to use, like a rail gun. Hooray! A new challenge! Except he’s so dangerous, he can’t be approached for explosives or EMPs. Our play with utility items is now obsolete. His railgun goes through walls, so playing with cover is now obsolete, and with it hit-and-fade might go out the window too. We have to kite or circle strafe. He’s so tough, spamming X-PVG-90 rounds at him is the way to go so we’re not in combat for four hours. The other guns are now obsolete. The player now has a single dominant strategy, and the game has a harder enemy. It’s not a win.

I think a lot of suggestion are made in good faith, and the belief that they could add something worthwhile to the game. Sometimes though, I want gets confused with the game needs, and I think the best you can do is tune that out.

If you’re really interested in getting to the bottom of the complaint in this thread and similar, look up game design concepts and balance. Forget the robots, the PVG and the beautiful scenery and spend half an hour in the general meta.

4 Likes