A case for vehicles Megathread (collective feature topic)

Also, just answering a post from earlier- A prius cant take a hit. Anf, if the battery goes, it costs almost as much as a new car to get e new one in. So, no prius for me.

If we agree that this is GZ and it remains GZ, then there won’t be any drive-able vehicles in it since these were not intended to be part of the game from the get-go.

GZ is not Need For Speed, GZ is not GTA. Let’s leave GZ as it is.

4 Likes

For myself I’ve always been on the fence about vehicles in GZ so I’ll put my input here;

on the downside they could detract from open world exploration, but if they were sealed off till the player is max level or something then I think that would be better as at that point its more justifiable to want a faster method of transport.
another downside is that sometimes apex engine can be weird with vehicles, from a game engine perspective I wouldn’t want bicycles round 2 electric boogaloo.

but on the plus side the added opportunity for customizability, something new to grind for, and something that would be heavily game changing I always thought vehicles had their merits in this aspect.
as fwerkie says with adding armor, and mufflers, ayesles point almost is a plus towards what the player would have to consider. do you add a muffler that attracts less machines but then have a slower more cumbersome vehicle? i think this would be really interest imo.

as for vehicles being “bullet magnets” that’s real life not this video game and with the recent changes to vehicle damage I’d say vehicles could actually be much more viable than they were before that change.

1 Like

That’s not going to be the case. With GZ’s ongoing approach to development many things will be changing as we go along, as they have changed so far in the past almost two years now.
(not saying this with any hostility, its just matter of fact)

2 Likes

Many things have changed, but almost none were big time, major gameplay changers (except Plundra).

If vehicles would come to GZ (which by the last word from The Boss Man is “no”), but lets just consider the IF.

If vehicles would come and to balance out the gameplay, something else should be removed. 1st one to go would be Fast Travel. Since when you have vehicles, you don’t need Fast Travel. For 2nd, the magical Plundra would go (Plundra mirror in each safehouse), IF the vehicles would turn into mobile Plundras. Because why would you need stationary magical Plundra if you have it with you in your vehicle? Not to mention the additional hardware load this puts on older hardware (consoles to be exact).

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Casual chat discussions

Need for speed is a rasing game. GTA has flying cars, and equatic cars, and so on. So, adding cars would not ever make this like them. In fact, its already like need for speed in some regards because there is a mission involving beating clock on a vehicle, with checkpoints. And nobody is complaning that its too much like need for speed. So dont tell me it will be need for speed if we add cars. And GTA is rated M for a reason, GZ is rated T. and that alone is quite a difference. But, along with that, theres not police in ths game. At least, not living ones. So, Ive gotta say, in my humble opinion…your wrong (no offence).

A post was merged into an existing topic: Casual chat discussions

My question is, why would vehicles not be intended in the first place? I mean, that kind of closes the door on a lot of options, and ideas, before you can even hear them.

Okay! You’re bang on the money, girl. I would love to see fast travel taken away if cars were added - so much more fun. Now, given that, you might want to build a base to keep it in, and all your stock. It’d have to be a batcave somewhere - a genuinely defendable entrance (or two). If that were true, then I could live with both cars and base-building, to which normally I am violently opposed.

For the first twenty hours of the game, I never knew that fast travel existed, and ran everywhere… :thinking:

1 Like

I linked the devs response above in this topic. My reply: A case for vehicles
But to bring out the points as of why not:

• Fast Travel
    Players can zap around the map effortlessly.

• Close distance between safehouses
    There are 100 safehouses all over the map and they are spaced quite evenly, so, where-ever you want to go, you can just Fast Travel to nearest safehouse and take a short walk.

• GZ was not designed as driving game
    There are a lot of small POIs and environmental story telling - many of which players will miss if they would drive a car. (Even when walking, you can miss some them. I have.)

• Additional load on consoles.
    For devs to add additional feature, something must be either reduced or taken away. It is a huge balancing act for Xbox/PS4.

1 Like

I agree with all but one of your reasons. I have found that the safe houses are not evenly spaced around the map. At least in some areas. This leads to for instance, running for a red oculus amount of time, just to get to one mission, then possibly dying, then having to travel all the way back there. I have experienced this, and even using a bike. But because the bikes can’t take a hit, I was knocked off almost effortlessly, and emediately killed. Thts why im saying we should add cars.

Lol, you have no idea. How come most of your arguments sound more like wishes then facts? I know you really badly want a drivable car in GZ but bringing ludicrous arguments (like a combustible engine can be muffled that no sound will escape the vehicle, what about tires? do you want a flying vehicle? then what about repairing a car or armouring a car, the argument about missile salvos etc.) to the table doesn’t support the idea.

2 Likes

When you’re near the mission area and doesn’t want to hike all the way back, in case you should die, place a Field Radio.

Field Radio is mobile Fast Travel spawn point with 3 uses (or 6 uses if you have Commander specialization).

I use Field Radios sometimes. E.g last time was when i went into FOA4 to loot the entire complex. And since FOA4 is some walk away from closest safehouse, i brought Field Radio with me, which i then placed at the entrance of FOA4. With Field Radio placed, and once i was full of stuff, i was able to Fast Travel back to safehouse, unload the gear and then Fast Travel back to FOA4.

As I stated before I’m against cars.

In a solo game you are driving. You need both hands for that most of the time. And in battle more so. That means you could put your hand out the window with a pistol. But to do so that means no armor on that window. Just a pistol port means you don’t hit anything since it’s designed for close defense.

If you have a KVM59 mounted on the vehicle it would have to be set to fire in the direction the car is pointed. You need your hands for driving and can’t operate a KVM at the same time. So hitting a moving taget that way is not an easy task. And when mag of 150 is empty you need to stop the car to change mag. You need two hands for that.

Two players. One could operate the gun. But then you need a turret if it’s going to be effective.

3-4. They would be along just for the ride. Using fire ports on a moving vehicle to shoot at moving targets would mean very small hit percentage. And no big guns. A Volvo has limited room with full backseat. To use bigger guns you need to hang out the window. That said you can’t have armor there in order to do so.

And as someone that experienced sweden in the 80s. A Volvo and SAAB of that time is not silent cars. They make a lot of noice. Good luck to muffle out all that.

1 Like

But yes for spark and skateboard. And roller skates.

I think the map needs to be opened up more before motorized vehicles can be introduced. More islands added, perhaps even spots on the mainland. Bridges repaired, etc. Or introduce watercraft. Until then the playable area is too small for anything faster than a bicycle.

3 Likes

Never said it would be absolutely silent. Heck, bikes make some level of noise.

That only works if you have field radio.

As I said before, the trucks naturally would be louder than cars. And although adding heavily armored vehicles was stated as something that should be done earlier, and I still think it would be a good idea in certain regards, outfitted cars and trucks would be faster, and quieter. The whole idea is, you can actually take a few hits while your moving. If you remember, you cant take hardly any hits on a bike, and you can’t shoot from them. Period. And if I was in a post apocalyptic world, I wouldn’t be caught dead in roller skates. Actually, If you used roller skates, then you would be found dead. And why, just why would you use a skateboard? Sure, your hands are free to shoot, but y’all ain’t gonna be at all accurate with that, because you’ll be too buisy getting the snot shot out of you.
The spark idea might actually have some merit, but it would only work in the snow. But if you had to bail out, since you have no brakes, im thinking you would get some major damage. At least you would in real life.
Cars do have breaks, and, if they have armor, or you don’t hide near the gas tank, they actually make great cover.
And one final thought-

Lol, I actually do have an idea because I know/have known people who have, or have had a Prius, and let me tell you, what I said wasn’t my opinion. It’s there’s, so sure they get good mileage, and when they coast, their battery charges, but, there’s no protection. lets put it this way, if that was the only car available, I would definitely ride a bike.