Diffrent Beverage/Drink Cultures from around the World

There are two marketing stunts in human history that impresses the #$*!!!& out of me: the ability to buy your way out of purgatory … and bottled water in countries with high quality tap water. A chemical laboratory compared the bottled water from various brands with the quality required for tap water in Denmark, and the tap water came out best in test :smile:

That said, Perrier is really good (but a bit expensive). I prefer San Pellegrino as sparkling water goes. Just as good but much cheaper.

2 Likes

@helldiver
@IanForce
Could you explain me why in Central Europe people prefer to drink sparkling water?
When i was in Berlin I always had to ask non sparkling water, if i asked water, they would give me sparkling water/carbonated water :smile: .
In Portugal the best sparkling water is Agua das Pedras.

1 Like

Drinking sparkling water is very common in germany we have also water without gas what is called here “Stilles Wasser”. I for myself love the sparkling water what i have posted. The medium contains not so much Carbon Dioxide. It is also in germany that the water in our taps has drinkwater quality. SOme people take taped water and add Carbon dioxide so they have a sparkling water.

For my taste, sparkling water tastes to me a little more fresher than water without Carbon dioxid.

2 Likes

Speaking for myself I think that sparkling water is more refreshing and makes you drink slower. When I’m out trekking I get very thirsty, and still water drenches the thirst more effectively. If I’m dining, I drink less so sparkling water is better. And, knowing that the best water comes out the tap, I would feel very stupid paying for bottled plain water at a restaurant. In Denmark, bottled water easily cost as much as bier because it is imported and comes from a glacier in Greenland, a geyser in Iceland, or some other fancy-pancy place. Masterly executed marketing, as I said :wink:

2 Likes

@helldiver
@IanForce
So basically it is a matter of traditional “taste” and because “Normal” bottled water is expensive or has bad quality in comparison to tap water ?
That might make sense…and some of our bottled waters brands are actually exported.
Over here tap water actually tastes bad in most places, a bit like medicine, many people drink it but i have a very refined taste.

PS: Water from a glacier sounds interesting!

2 Likes

This is also a spring that is nearby where i life and it is known in most of the world.

2 Likes

I think it would be unfair to say “bad” quality. It is just not as pure. Pure water tastes of nothing. When it gets “polluted” (usually by minerals) it might taste salt, sweet, bitter, metallic, etc. I guess that’s what differentiates the brand’s and makes you prefer one over the other.

Same story could be told about salt. Pure salt will cost you 10 cents a kilo. Himalayan black rock salt will cost you 5 Euro per 100g.

2 Likes

Twenty years ago i lifed in an other village and the tap water there comes from a very chalky spring and it didn’t taste good when you used it for making tea or coffe. At this time we used botteld silent water.

Where i life now we have a very soft water in our tap and has a very good taste and quality like the botteled water.

1 Like

The Apollinaris Spring in Ahr Valley??!? Okay, Respect👍

1 Like

Yes it is in Bad Neuenahr Ahrweiler so roundabout 60 km far from me. :red_car:

We have good water, but the most famous is the “Gourmet” Monchique.

At least from 30% to 40% is exported to Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
It seems it is very healthy with great properties, if anyone has kidney issues this is the water you should drink.

1 Like

About energy drinks. Different countries have different laws.

Here in Estonia, it used to be where anyone could buy them since they were considered as soft drinks. But new legislation was taken into effect, putting an age restriction on them.

Now, when you’re below 16 y.o., you can’t buy energy drinks from any of the stores. Reason behind is that energy drinks contain high amounts of caffeine and latter is harmful (raising blood pressure), if kids are drinking it a lot, which they did. Many started drinking them as young as 10 y.o.

I rarely drink energy drinks. But for brands available here, we have:

• Red Bull (Red Bull GMBH)
  • Monster (Coca-Cola HBC)
  • Burn (Coca-Cola HBC)
  • Energy (Coca-Cola HBC)
  • Hustler (Harboe Bryggeri A/S)

And local brands:

• Starter (Liviko AS)
  • Dynami:t (A. Le Coq AS)
  • Battery (Saku Õlletehase AS)

Starter

Dynamiit

Battery

Out of all, i prefer Hustler the most.

Hustler

But Hustler is hard to get nowadays. My 2nd choice is Dynami:t with coconut and if that one isn’t available either, i’ll take the original Starter. Though, there are many different versions (tastes) of energy drinks here.

4 Likes

I’ve never had any! I don’t know why but it never really appealed to me. Perhaps I have enough vices already as it is :slightly_smiling_face: And I get my (rather huge) amounts of caffeine from coffee.

And I don’t think caffeine is for kids, so a minimum age limit is a perfectly good idea IMHO.

1 Like

Interesting info.
In Portugal there is no legislation about energy drinks in terms of age restriction, anyone can buy them.
The price of Energy drinks and normal drinks did increase after new laws, but that´s it.
Alcoholic drinks are not to be sold to minors, as it´s always been since Mid 20th century or earlier.
“Most” people rarely drink energy drinks over here, usually only when doing physical activities.

Any soft drinks “made in Estonia” you want to share?

You sure that you’re not mixing up Sports Drinks with Energy Drinks? Since in Estonia, sports drinks doesn’t have age restriction, like energy drinks have them.

There are loads of them, from the big three: A. Le Coq, Saku and Liviko.

Kvass (“Kali” in Estonian)

A. Le Coq:

Le%20Coq%20-%20kvass

Saku:

Saku%20-%20Kvass

Soft drinks

A. Le Coq:

Saku:

Liviko:

Liviko%20-%20soft%20drinks

Carbonized waters

A. Le Coq:

Saku:
(click to enlarge for readability)

Of course, that’s not all since there are bunch of smaller manufacturers as well (e.g family businesses) and i don’t know all of them. Though, you’ll find “the big three” drinks in every store around here, regardless if it’s small country shop or big city supermarket.

Personally, i don’t like carbonized waters at all. But i do like kvass and several soft drinks.

2 Likes

Oh my, so many to choose from!
Thank you.

No, i´m not mixing it up, but i should have included those .
There is no legislation prohibiting teenagers from drinking any non alcoholic drink.
Sports drinks and Energy drinks are just not bought in high quantities, and certainly not from kids and teens.
Soft drinks, mineral bottled water, Tea, Wine, alcoholic drinks and coffee are the favorites of the major population.

Teenagers with 16 or more years go to Indian shops to buy cheap bottled Sangria, to start their “alcoholic path”, it´s the only places that sell them, they don´t want Energy or sport drinks they want alcohol.
Then when they have at least 18 years old, they can go to bars and clubs where all types of drinks, are available and all cafés have beers by the way.
Energy and Sport drinks are not that appreciated over here.
It´s mostly for physical activities and for some addicted University students (like the one i knew that had an heart attack).

Good Sangria

"Bad Sangria" (cheap and the one that teens get)

1 Like

Yes, @Mr_A1992, there’s is indeed good sangria and bad sangria. Good sangria doesn’t give you a headache :wink:

Sangria is yet a good reason to go to Spain! Gazpacho (cold tomato soup) is another. Is Sangria a Portuguese tradition too?

Speaking of Estonian made soft drinks, some of them have quite a bit of history. Namely Limonaad Traditsiooniline and Kelluke.

Limonaad Traditsiooniline

Limonaad is a traditional soft drink with a unique flavour that has been on the market for 80 years. Extracts of medicinal plants from the Russian steppes are used to make Limonaad, and no other company has been able to copy its unique recipe. It is the original, classic taste of this drink that has earned it the loyalty of today’s parents and won new little friends.

Kelluke

Kelluke is a classic fizzy drink of Estonia. Most adults say that it tastes like proper lemonade. Sweet Kelluke tastes of childhood. Everyone has warm memories that feature Kelluke, making it the perfect soft drink for children and adults. The recipe of Kelluke was developed by A. Le Coq (then known as the Tartu Brewery) in 1965 and a drink of the same flavour was produced according to the recipe throughout the Soviet Union.

These two soft drinks were very popular during Soviet occupation and sold all over USSR. After the USSR collapse (in 1992), it took few years before Limonaad Traditsiooniline was produced again in Estonia (as far as i recall) and it took about 15 years from collapse before Kelluke was reintroduced.

Nowadays, both are very popular soft drinks here and i also like both.
Taste wise, Limonaad Traditsiooniline tastes like caramel (which i love) and Kelluke tastes like Sprite (from Coca-Cola) but without that strange chemical taste Sprite has.

3 Likes

… sounds quite interesting. Is that something that Estonia exports to the rest of Europe? I’ve never heard about it before but I would love to try it out.

1 Like

Not that i know of.

Though, A. Le Coq does export it’s produce to: Finland, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Latvia and Lithuania but those exports consist mostly of: beer, cider, long-drink and juice.

We have folks from some of those countries here :thinking: Perhaps they can look at their local market and see if they recognize the look of A. Le Coq’s “Limonaad Traditsiooniline” (in English, it translates to “Traditional Lemonade”). :slightly_smiling_face:
Oh, it is brewed into 0.33L, 0.5L and 1.5L bottles (smallest is glass bottle while the other two are plastic bottles).

Click to enlarge:

3 Likes