Food and Water, Hunger and Thirst (Basic)

Please just DON’T add this feature to Generation Zero!

I strongly recommend “The Long Dark” if this is what you want from a game!

3 Likes

Agree. And that’s what I don’t get. There are games that are already what people are asking for. There are fewer and fewer “non-survival” or battle royale games, however. Let’s keep this sucker what it is!

it has been said during a stream or two that if it was ever added, it would be a separate optional game mode

1 Like

The reason is simple, people like the game, but get bored out of their minds once they finish the story and get all the collectibles because there’s nothing to do. You have to nuke an existing save to start fresh, which means that a lot of possibilities that could exist for post-story game-play don’t (I’d love to try and speed run the story, but I can’t justify nuking my save or jumping through hoops to swap save files back and forth just for that), you have no real skill respec so there’s no incentive to test out new skill sets, you don’t have a score, or leader-boards, or even a raid boss, so there’s nothing in terms of practical competition.

It’s honestly not something ‘new’, many games that have little to no end-game content just like GZ does right now get lots of people clamoring to ask the devs to ‘add this neat alternate way to play’, and that’s if the game retains players at all.

1 Like

Where do the Dev s host their stream?

twitch, facebook and youtube

In theory, food would not work any differently than having a second “health” (hunger) bar that drains over time and drains your main health bar when emptied, and can be refilled by using “medkits” (food items)

How would it be any different than adding an option to say drain your health a little bit every minute, functionally?

Unless hunting, cooking etc would be added it would only increase the need to scavenge and loot the houses, which is already boring and tedious work to do.

On top of that, it further hurts the already poor looting and inventory sorting system that’s currently implemented and takes away precious inventory space.

Instead, having potentially dangerous wild animals that can serve as a third party enemy type could be cool.
Then have them drop meat which you can craft into makeshift medkits of some sort (kind of unrealistic, yes, but still a nice alternative way to get medkits)

The problem I have with this is when developers go WAY overboard and force players to be eating more than killing, such as ark or dayz. I swear I’ve had enough berries in ark to feed the entirety of NYC for a day and don’t get me started on dayz.

If it were one or two meals per day, and the type of meal gave a slight boost to a stat or something, I could see it being implemented. If it is literally just a hunger meter, IDK. Maybe it could feed the stamina bar but still, if it becomes a core function to the point where it is annoying it’ll detract from the game big time.

2 Likes

It’s actually relatively common for people to confuse thirst for hunger. If you’re trying to lose weight, it’s important to know the difference between how it feels to be hungry and how it feels to be thirsty. Otherwise, you could be consuming more calories than you need, which makes it harder to achieve your weight loss goals.

1 Like

Well, there IS hunting in game.
Let me rephrase: there SHOULD be hunting in game, but the machines just are to frikken stupid.

Lol I forgot all about this page. Man I missed some funny posts about hunger and thirst.

It depends on how the devs implement how thirst and hunger works for the game. Typically all games that use it if you lack the substance you die or you slowly die.

But here’s an idea towards how the mechanics would benefit. .

What if you drink and eat items And keep the bars% up with water and food helps your regeneration bonus so you’d use less medication packs?

And instead of storing food. You instantly eat and drink from buildings like in dying light.

And instead of having 2 bars there can be one called consumption. Basically adding a regen booster if filled and a negative or no regen if not. So just grabbing food or water that’s random to eat on the spot as an extra to do while scavenging in houses.

In dying light you could find random food that just pick up and ate on the spot to give you % of life is how it worked in dying light.

This game could do the same. Grab and instant eat or drink to fill your bar or keep filled while your in a structure would also make you feel the need to go into regular houses more often too

Dying Light vanilla does not have this ‘feature’. For reasons.

@pegnose I beg to differ you can pic up an assortment of food to give you a Small health

Are you sure? I was sure it was not in the game and I also googled it and found a lot of discussions about potential mods that would allow just this.

@pegnose yes you can find them in certain areas like in stores and some kitchens they’ll have nuts, and other small snack like foods you can grab and hold the button down to eat for like 10-25% health refill. I always skipped it cause it’s not as common and it isn’t that big of a health refill.

I’m on PS4 by the way. Too poor to own a pc

Oh my gosh, how could I forget about that. You are absolutely right! My bad, I apologize.

@pegnose your good. It’s an mechanic that can be way over looked due to it being so minor. I think it was bigger in dead island if I remember right and they just added it in maybe cause they thought they’d be making dead island 2 and not dying light lol.

1 Like

I am actually sure I ate a lot of nuts in DL. :wink:

1 Like

There’s nothing more that I despise than survival games where they harshly starve you to death. Now, if we’re talking minecraft, it’s fine because food is abundant. Plus, if you also had to carry food, then carry capacity would become even more important and no one would want to use other skill trees. It would not be fun.

Plus, why does anyone like harshly being starved in games? It’s not even realistic that you start dying immediately in the span of a couple hours of not eating. They never get starving correct in those types of games. Awful, terrible, immersion breaking, punishing and uncool.

3 Likes

no reply…???