Food and Water, Hunger and Thirst (Basic)

@pegnose your good. It’s an mechanic that can be way over looked due to it being so minor. I think it was bigger in dead island if I remember right and they just added it in maybe cause they thought they’d be making dead island 2 and not dying light lol.

1 Like

I am actually sure I ate a lot of nuts in DL. :wink:

1 Like

There’s nothing more that I despise than survival games where they harshly starve you to death. Now, if we’re talking minecraft, it’s fine because food is abundant. Plus, if you also had to carry food, then carry capacity would become even more important and no one would want to use other skill trees. It would not be fun.

Plus, why does anyone like harshly being starved in games? It’s not even realistic that you start dying immediately in the span of a couple hours of not eating. They never get starving correct in those types of games. Awful, terrible, immersion breaking, punishing and uncool.

3 Likes

no reply…???

In one of the dev streams, it was asked if more complex survivability (like discussed in this topic) would come to the game. The Boss Man himself replies to that at 00:45:43,
link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/523152516?filter=archives&sort=time

Well, what kind of reply you’re expecting? Praising? Criticizing?

1 Like

I agree with @Aesyle here, there’s no guarantee that people will answer your post. Please keep bumping threads to a minimum in the future unless you have something insightful to add to the discussion.

2 Likes

I would like to see a system for this, however would’nt be very annoying if you had low hunger/food and you were onbthe alpine unrest island and being swarmed by multiple enemies. Plus the devs already added semla.

1 Like

If you want survival just play 7 days to die. This game isn’t a survival game at it’s core like that. I would find that to be annoying. We already have issues with space, having to carry food and water would just exacerbate this issue.

You can also play The forest a great game.
Fallout New Vegas or Fallout 4 survival mode

Bonus: Any of the Stalker games (if on PC)

1 Like

Besides the some survival games mentioned above, i’d also add: DayZ, Subnautica, Subnautica: Below Zero and Solus Project as one of the good ones to play.

They need to amp crafting 100 fold and it would make scavenging for survival worth it. This game is heavily reliant on the gear you have and the level it is at. Do you have the paramedic kits the ammo dumps how much healing do you have are your grenades stocked, your dual purpose explosives. Having the ability to use the base item to craft fire grenades or gas grenades or craft higher quality gear from boss drops or crafting meds and emps would turn this into an even more amazing game. Simply put, as it stands now you loot what you can get in 1 fight and hope you can scrounge up enough to fight the next battle. Maybe being able to craft heavy artillery like mortars or turrets. Leave the food and water to a game like dayz or 7dayz to die.

STALKER is a treat. The games are a little flakey at times, and I’d advise you to avoid Clear Sky like the plague, but Call of Pripyat and Shadow of Chernobyl are excellent. Just, be ready for an incredibly jankey engine that will crap out on you.

New Vegas’s Hard Core mode was excellent. Though that is very much an RPG first, and a shooter second.

Fallout 4’s Survival Mode should be avoided like the plague, it’s outright kneecapped by a poor save system, and a kludgy attempt to get around the late-game damage sponge problem that doesn’t really work, and only delays the inevitable.

If you really want Fallout, 76 isn’t terrible for Survival these days, though the game can be a little flakey at times.

2 Likes

100% this. This NEEDS to be a thing. my friends have all said, that the game feels “unfinished” because you come across campsites and cooking locations and none of it matters, it’s just visual not interactable at all.

I would take this even one step further. Add basic hunger and thirst (reducing your sprint and adding sway to your shooting if you are low) but even add some improved foods (that can perhas be cooked at a campfire or on a working stove etc) that give very slight boosts to stats like the early clothes (slight boosts to endurance for running, slightly reduced aim/reload time, maybe even slight boosts to total health, etc) adding this gives players a REASON to find these campsites, rather than just having all these cool graphics but have them be totally meaningless.
I’m not saying go full “green Hell” level of survival, but having it at least at “the forest” level would add a CRAZY good level of immersion to this game.

1 Like

What you mean? Please be more clear with your stuff!

Regards.

Thirst occurs when your body needs water. When you do not drink enough water, your body receives mixed signals on hunger. Dehydration causes you to believe you need to eat when you really need liquid intake.shareit

Asking for this is OK, but not so necessary. An indication that your character has eaten on the off time? Sure, but there is just so much food lying around in every camp that’s decorative. If you were to introduce this mechanic, this would make it just a small chore to take care of, because how much food there is around every bunker and stored away.

You want some management mechanics, basically. To implement this it’d need a lot of change in the game to be significant, but this isn’t what the game is lacking. It’s barebone in storytelling and the general gameplay loop of shooting and gaining. There is no real ‘end-game’ for this game. You have some prestige points, but none of it benefits the player enough to have a point in doing.

I think there’s something different lacking, but if there was an introduction to thirst/hunger, there’d need to be massive changes in the world and it’s layouts. There’d need to be periodic changes, when all that huge reserve of food starts running low and now the player needs more solutions etc. This will be more work as time goes on for the Devs and so far they’ve been wrestling bugs for basic implementations. Seems like a concept that’s REALLY far down the road

Agreed this is a great idea

To implement this it’d need a lot of change in the game to be significant, but this isn’t what the game is lacking. jiofi.local.html forpc.onl

Let’s not try to necro old threads. If you want to talk about this topic. Here is the newer thread though. More complex survival