Food and Water, Hunger and Thirst (Basic)

As deadpool says ’ wear the brown pants ’ toilet problem solved in game with no update/Adjustment , or they could crouch on the many toilets in game and make Log dropping sounds over the mic to their friends for realism :rofl: … Anyhow fellow ’ Red pilled ’ friend im off i need the toilet < ( Real life ) , then im gonna Shoot Robots < ( Not Real Life ) . :sunglasses: IL Be Back.

1 Like

It’s the second useless time I try to refund the game on steam. I’m kinda sad that I want to… I was a bit disappointed bc of the lack of content and 1001 bugs that the game has/had. I feel like it needed more time in development.

Well, as I see it, it SHOULD be part of the game, but OPTIONAL.
To those that like this, me included, hell, go for it.
But not everyone, and this is said above by others, would like to have it.
And to simply force it down their throat would be a bad thing.

Issue: you simply cannot please everyone.
But you CAN meet both halfway.
Making it optional, would just do that: make everyone happy.
Both those that DO want it, as those that do NOT want it. :slight_smile:

Just my two cents.

i do not think this should be in the normal game.
rather, make it an option when starting a save:
a save is either “on” or “off” survival mode.
survival mode players can only join multiplayer with other survival mode players, and non-survival joins with non-survival, to make sure nobody has loot issues.

1 Like

This game isn’t a survival game and never positioned itself as such. Yeah, people have tagged it as such on Steam, but it’s not and has never advertised itself as such.It’s an open world action adventure game. It’s far more akin to the Far Cry series than it is games like Ark, Rust, Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, etc. You have to “survive” against the robots. I believe they said that in their marketing. But it was never called or sold as a survival game.

Seriously, if you want to gather resources, food, water and build bases, this isn’t the game to do that in. There are tons of options out there available if that’s your thing. This isn’t it. This is about discovering a story and killing big-ass machines.

That said, if the devs were to add difficulty levels like a survival mode, then sure, you could add those resources in that mode. But really, the game as it stands really doesn’t need that.

I dont personally want to deal with hunger/thirst in this game but if they did decide to add it, they would first have to come up with a better inventory management system.

Please no.

We don’t have enough backpack space as it is and this would simply take away from that. Also, the problem with survival games is that hunger and thirst are ramped far too high typically. The human body needs water all day long to function but, you CAN go up to three days or so without it before suffering any problems. And you can go days without food, up to about a week IIRC. But in games, if you don’t eat or drink you die within like twenty minutes, it’s just stupid. But then, who’d want to play a realistic game were you drink a few cups of water a day and eat every other right? lol

Besides that, it would add extra assets and complexity to the code and would lead to more bugs while it gets adopted if it were. So I still say no, thanks.

Please add more survival elements!!! Right now scavenging has no purpose. (Ammo doesn’t count. You’re just replenishing the ammo you used to get to it. Pretty boring.) Looking for food and water would give you a reason to go from town to town trying to survive. Looking for crafting material as well to reinforce a base from a horde that is coming. Clock is ticking, you need to be ready kinda deal. This game is just not set up to be a basic shooter. If so, I believe the community will die quick. However, I see so much potential for this game to grow into something amazing.

I’d like to see a food and water system too.
Scavenging for ammo all day because the bots are (bullet sponging) becomes agonizing and boring.

Exactly warpig. Personally, I would love to take a break out in the woods and start a camp fire to heat up some canned beans or cook some raw game meat over a fire so that my character has max stamina and his aim is steady because he is not starving. Something simple just to add to the replay value. Give you a social moment to plan out your next move with your buddies. Makes for more of an adventure. Maybe add equipment you deploy that signals when enemies or in the vicinity of your camp.

1 Like

Suggestion:
You have your basic health bar, and then you have like a circle or another line beside or above it so that when you eat food, this bar fills up and will very very slowly wear down over time. This extra bar also grants more health in addition to your regular health bar. If you just ate something and that bar is full, if you’re in a fight and you’re regular health gets completely taken away, you are left with that reserve bar to try and get away and heal or escape. And then maybe they could have something similar for drinking and the stamina bar.

Or,
Each item you eat and drink gives you some percentage of a boost towards stuff like health regeneration (something I’d like to see in the game regardless of it coming from food or drink) or stamina boosts, weapon sway decreases etc. There’s so much they could do with a system like this in place. And the food and drink would have its own separate inventory apart from your regular inventory.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand why some people don’t want this added. Except for maybe the casual gamers. Me personally, I would easily pay another $40 for dlc that added more survival elements. I don’t see myself playing Generation Zero much longer without it. My better half has already grown tired of the repetitiveness of just looting for ammo. We’ve always enjoyed the crafting and cooking that you find in games like 7 Days to Die, Subnautica, The Long Dark, DayZ, Etc. I thought this game would be perfect for that. It adds so much replay value. Unfortunately, I fear that I will be disappointed with direction that this game seems to be heading. Another shooter that you just play through once and then done. We did however have fun for a couple of days playing until we realized how much the game lacks on content and things to do.

1 Like

The only problem I see with adding a survival/hunger system right now is this; it doesn’t fit the setting. The game takes place at the beginning of what looks to be the Machines taking over. Like a pre-apocalypse. It works with post-apocalypse games because you have to scavenge for supplies in a setting where the risk of starvation, thirst, sickness etc is ever present.

But the events in Generation Zero are taking place literally days or weeks after the Machines invading, houses still have power and running water, gas stations are working and fully functional vehicles are scattered about. Most prominent of all, there are several military bases and bunkers fully stocked with supplies, ammo, food, weapons etc. Supplies that would last you for years. Perhaps even decades. And that makes sense, because they were just recently fully staffed and in use.

IMO, the game’s setting is currently not in a state where you need to worry about hunger and thirst to survive. It may however become just that, as the machine apocalypse proceeds. Perhaps then it could be implemented more successfully.

3 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any point - there’d be stuff in every house. You might have to make a small detour, but it wouldn’t take five minutes. I think we can assume food and water are givens…

1 Like

@Crunchmeister
I do not necessarily agree with you.
It could VERY much be part of the game for those that want it, optionally.
Why would it bother you, if it was actually implemented as an option?
You do not HAVE to go for a specific one, unless you simply want to?

@kakarron @Streaks
Why would you 2 bother if this was optional?

@Kinsman101
Because not everyone has the same taste as you do???
Some like it, others do not.
Hence optional.
How does it bother you if some do not go for it?

bags are always full as it is, even if they add a storage option having to also carry around food and water will be annoying. and they already have food all over the place in game, would they have to change all those cans to be lootable or remove them? I think major changes like that are a good idea for a sequel for much later when they have most of the other bugs worked out of the game.

@kakarron
Well yes, adding the Survival would require an overhaul of inventory for survival alone, true.
Not that extreme to do?

i don’t know, things that should have been simple like adjusting the adrenaline spawn rate took a couple of patches. pretty sure adding new game mechanics would potentially introduce more bugs

I don’t think people disagree simply because they don’t want options, it’s more that implementing survival mechanics would take time and resources of the already small team working with the game. The Apex engine as it is doesn’t feature such mechanics, so that’d need to be coded in from scratch.

I assume Avalanche have an internal roadmap of what they want to do with the game and what they want it to be. Generation Zero seems to be more of a “shoot robots with your friends” than a survival sim like say, The Long Dark.

1 Like

@Zesiir
True!!!
BUT!
Having this optional, might make the game more appreciated to those that right now ignore it, whatever their reason is.
I do not say, this should be a priority, but I would not just take it away from those that would like to see a more elaborate survival game, rather than the current run or shoot game…

1 Like