Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

Moved to the frequent crashing support thread.

//Mod

Found the issue with my crashing. Kept checking my event viewer in windows for issues while the game was running and noticed it was coming up with a WHEA correctable error and narrowed it down to slight core instability.

Although I’m running the out of the box max all core clock speed for my processor, I run it with a slight negative voltage offset as my motherboard tends to feed a little too much voltage to the cpu which ends up with less than desirable temperatures.

By backing off on the voltage offset slightly I was able to stabilise the core errors and haven’t had a crash since (played for a solid 5 hours with mates)

This is the first game I’ve ever played that’s done this as normally if my system is unstable it’s a hard system crash, so for anyone that’s got custom voltages or offsets on their overclocks or what not, it may pay to check your event viewer while playing to see if that’s your issue.

Pretty long winded explanation but hopefully it can help someone else!

1 Like

Soo I started playing a week ago and noticed my game crashes a lot especially in a certain town in the forest region it’s very frustrating I want to play but I can’t ik it’s not my system overheating I have an Xbox slim of that matters is there a fix for this or one coming because it’s very frustrating to constantly crash in the middle of anything it seems now

Moved to the main priority thread about game crashes.

//Mod

Yeah, so there’s been a good few updates since your comment, but my game is crashing literally every 15 minutes. It keeps telling me to check to see if I have any updates for my graphics card driver, and I have, but it still crashes. After coming back from over 4 months, it STILL crashes, and absolutely no fixes have been made. Today, it told me to check my specs after causing all of my monitors to turn off, my discord and steam to crash, and reseting the progress I made during the 15 minutes of playing today.

Now here’s the thing, I’ve tried playing it on steam, AND microsoft, and they both don’t work. My specs are fully capable, and I am unsure as to why this is happening.

Can you post your specs please? The more information you can give, the better.

Additionally, are you using (or have used) any mods whatsoever?

Yes your game crashes after only 5 minutes…

I guess I will post my specs… but really this old of a game should not be having this many issues. Refunded.

I suspect it’s probably from all this cross-platform mumbo jumbo, but I know nothing. Can’t even find a fix anywhere on the internet. Which really only points the finger at one group.

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Number of Cores 8
Speed 3.8 GHz
Stepping 9
Family 06
Model 9E
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000906E9
Memory
RAM 32 GB
Video Card
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with Max-Q Design
Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with Max-Q Design
Manufacturer Nvidia
Hardware T&L Yes
Total Menmory 24 GB
Dedicated Memory 8.0 GB
Driver Version 30.0.15.1123
Vertex Shader Version 5.1
Pixel Shader Version 5.1
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE0&SUBSYS_123E1025&REV_A1
Device 1BE0
Vendor ID 10DE
Operating System
Size 64-bit
Operating System Windows 10
Version 10.0.19041
Service Pack 0
Locale 0409
BIOS
BIOS V1.06
Manufacturer Insyde Corp.
Sound
Audio 1
Sound Device BT-01 Stereo
Driver 10.0.19041.1
Audio 2
Sound Device Hesh 2 Wireless Hands-Free AG Audio
Driver 10.0.19041.1266
Audio 3
Sound Device H2O + Stereo
Driver 10.0.19041.1
Audio 4
Sound Device Hesh 2 Wireless Stereo
Driver 10.0.19041.1
Audio 5
Sound Device Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)
Driver 6.0.9071.1
Audio 6
Sound Device CORSAIR VOID ELITE USB Gaming Headset
Driver 2.3.28.0
Audio 7
Sound Device NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Audio 8
Sound Device NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver 1.3.39.1
Audio 9
Sound Device H2O + A2DP SNK
Driver 10.0.19041.1
Audio 10
Sound Device BT-01 Hands-Free AG Audio
Driver 10.0.19041.1266
Drives
Free Memory 57 GB
Size 476 GB
Software
DirectX 11.0
.NET 4.8
Internet Explorer 11.789.19041.0
Chrome 98.0.4758.82
Firefox 97.0

Edit Absolutely no mods

I have been an avid fan of Generation Zero for 4 months now. I love the game, it’s graphics, and story but the game is so laggy. I have an Ethernet cable connected to my Xbox so I know that connection is not the problem. No other game is like this on my Xbox S, I have never had a game crash more than once a month other than this one. I have cleaned my Xbox, freed space in my storage and re-downloaded the game yet nothing has worked. So far the crashing has increased to 3 or 4 times in a 5 hour game session. I am hoping I can find a way to play this game again but right now, it is completely unplayable. Maybe the Devs can patch this in the next update with creating a graphics section in the settings to make the game playable on consoles.
Platform- Xbox 1 S

Moved this to the support topic covering the issue.

//Mod

Having issues as well on Xbox one game crashes about every 30 minutes once it crashes the first time sometimes can go a few hours in between crashes if I don’t play for a few days

Here you go,

Device name DESKTOP-I6HTHRA
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
Device ID 4E05A13E-A45D-47F7-925E-6EBA5175B1C8
Product ID 00326-00862-86578-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

And no, I’ve never used mods, though I have been curious.

I’m on ps4.
When playing solo or with a friend we crash a couple of times in a period of a 2 to 4 hours.
Annoying but tolerable.
It’s hard to pin down the cause but have noticed the occurrence on several occasions after killing an enemy and after one of us takes a break for dinner or such.
My friend was having an issue during a mission but I can’t remember which.
Joining a random multiplayer world is another story, 10 minutes of play time is a good run, mostly less than a minute if more than 2 players.
I hope the issue can be found, I play mostly with one friend but would like to get others to buy the game, in fact I’m saving some equipment for them.
All in all I’m impressed with the game. For a small studio to produce a game with a story that hasn’t been rehashed a hundred times, good graphics, decent interface and a good game vibe among other things, was quite an accomplishment.
Comparing crash rates with multi billion dollar games with huge servers and resources wouldn’t be fair but note, the crash rates on some of those games are high if they are scaled to the resources.
Look at ESO and GTA5, the money they make permits their server rooms to be massive and they have huge financial resources to trouble shoot, yet they still crash.
Can’t weigh in here without mentioning what unfounded faith in the big players can lead to, Fallout 76, great potential, near ruined and stunted for years because corporate greed dictated short term financial gains were more important than the players or the game. The same developer has now sold out nearly half their players for a short term windfall in an un ethical and barely legal console war strategy.
I guess it comes down to if I’ll put my faith in the underdog and support the possibility that they may one day be a major player with the resources to match. Generally, and naturally when the output so far is so good, that’s a yes.

This game is the best game we ever played as coop game, but it sadly crashes or disconnects every 10-30 minutes :frowning:

Platform: PC Windows 10 20H2 / Game Pass
Description:

1. Game crashes to desktop randomly, but also when doing some actions. When the host crashes, we lost the ammunition we had in the last fights, but the destroyed enemies are either gone or alive again.
  2. Game of host loses connection randomly. Then it tells you its offline for some seconds, then you can start hosting again

Steps To Reproduce:

1. Go prone on one of the first main mission, where you have to enter a room with a wounded girl going prone under a table. This either crashes my session or the session of my friend (host, also Windows 10). I also tried that outside the church and most times when i go prone my game or his game crashes to Desktop.
  2. Connection lost is random. We both had a ping running to google.com and did not lose one ping when the game told us we are offline.

Host or Client:
1&2: I was client with a host (2 player). I hosted before but since we lost connection we thought its better then he hosts (much faster connection). But it does not matter who hosts.

Players in your game: 2 (One host, one client)

Specifications:
nothing is overlocked, no overclock software is running
OS and GPU drivers are up to date (June 2022)
RTX 3080
Ryzen 5800X
We can play Wolfenstein Youngblood without any issues. We can play Borderlands with ZeroTier (tunneling software to simulate local LAN) with no issues. We can play “It takes two” with no issues.

System Information

Time of this report: 6/16/2022, 12:32:22
         Machine name: xxxxx
           Machine Id: xxxxx
     Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
         System Model: System Product Name
                 BIOS: 4403 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor              (16 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
               Memory: 32768MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 32682MB RAM
            Page File: 13808MB used, 23738MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.1741 64bit Unicode

If you’re seeing that NPC in the intro missions, that means you’re on Gamepass. That platform alone recently accidentally got the unfinished New Dawn Update released early. Among the things it changes is the intro missions, there was never an NPC that early in the game before.

As you can expect, this has caused a lot of problems, and is the reason you’re crashing so frequently.

All you can do to fix this is wait for the New Dawn Update to release properly, which will be “soon”.

I trust you and ordered it now on Steam :wink:

Hi Vlad, we played today 3 hours with the Steam version and had no crash or connection loss. Thank you for your hint.

That said, DEVELOPERS PLEASE either inform game pass user about the problem or fix the botched update. We almost withdrew from the game and would have been lost as customer and only your answer and how much we like this game kept us from giving up.

1 Like

I agree about a lack of information in parts.
Serious problems are always communicated. On twitter, maybe discord, in the forums…

But an ingame-information on the main menu as long as the issue persists would have been a way better solution.

I don’t know exactly why anymore (maybe because of the evolving kind of this game), but this game is the first of my total ps4 and ps5 era where I joined the forum and take a daily look at possible news by typing “generation zero blog” into google to see if there is anything new on twitter (I don’t use twitter in general).

It’s not just a game. It’s a community. And we are the resistance. So keep on being informed. :wink:

2 Likes

A clear acknowledgement of the problem would definitely be appreciated!

2 Likes

After 40 hours in the game. it’s quite stable :slight_smile:

What we have every time:

• the host gets disconnected in the first 15 min. Every time. After that we both stay connected for hours. Could be a local problem on his PC.
    ’ only I get rarely a crash report. It’s more often than it should but not game-breaking bad. Could also be a local problem of my PC (but I play other games with no problems).

Other than that: the best coop game we ever played :slight_smile: The story told through missions, side missions and visualization is great. The atmosphere in the woods or around lakes is astonishing. And being shell shocked in some tight quarters. hearing the machines stomping around you and other sound effects are really the most immersive I ever experienced.

1 Like

Agree the Game is Awesome and definitely have some bugs. It’s an incredible game though. The DEVs do respond. Remember this game is huge and a lot of development into it. They have their hands full and many projects as well as fixes always coming out. I am very sure they are aware of the fixes that need to address, and they are working on them. Hopefully we will see patch that will address majority of the problems soon.

2 Likes