Game Not Loading and Crashing After April Update

this really sounds like a direct x issue , does win 7 support latest directx ? just some thoughts for feedback

1 Like

Before anyone says it.

These are the steam minimum specs

"

Minimum:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

• Processor: Intel i5 Quad Core

• Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Graphics: nVidia GTX 660 / ATI HD7870 - 2GB
    "

So according to steam windows 7 is a supported os.
Edit: Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/704270/Generation_Zero/

1 Like

im wondering if the patch has broken backwards support for previous minimum requirements, we really need a DEV on this thread to help out.

2 Likes

Moin
Die Entwickler kümmern sich um Windows 7 und 8 das es wieder Spielbar wird.

Are you under the impression that this forum is german only?

1 Like

A temporary fix for Generation Zero after the 17th April update.

Before I continue I’m going to say you have to use a controller for this to work. I know this will put a lot of people off, me too as I prefer the good old mouse and keyboard but I believe this issue to be a mouse input error?

Controllers tested PlayStation Dual Shock 4 over bluetooth and a Xbox 360 controller using a wireless receiver.

Operating system tested Windows 8.1

Load the game from Steam as normal and when the screen goes black hold down ESC and keep it held until we get in game. (explained below)

Once at the main menu (still holding escape) select continue with the mouse.

Now when the game has loaded (still holding ESC), DO NOT TOUCH your mouse, I turn mine upside down so there’s no chance of activating any movement with it. Now that your mouse is out of the way grab your controller and hold the left analogue stick all the way to the left and keep it held left and then release ESC. Your character should now be strafing left as normal. Release the analogue stick and the game should now be working for you using the controller.

Now I know a lot of folk hate the controller but this is the only way I can get the game to work at the moment and I know a lot of you would like to play the game over the Easter break.

One last thing to note, once the game is working, the keyboard will function as normal but as soon as you interact with the mouse the game will freeze and crash. For some reason if you hold ESC shortly after you interact with the mouse (and keep ESC held) the game will not crash but will become a stuttering mess. Releasing ESC after this will cause the game to crash as normal. :frowning:

Hope this helps and Happy Easter.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon as I’m missing my mouse & keyboard already :frowning:

Stephen.

4 Likes

I dont own a controller nor am i going to pay 120 euros for win 10.

I guess i have to put Generation Zero on hold for 3 more days while Avalanche Staff is having a lovely vacation…

2 Likes

Meh… I tried messaging some of the Devs yesterday and nobody answered me, the subject in the forum also isn’t getting answered… to me it seems they are giving much more attention to the other threads then this one, which makes the game literally unplayable… That’s how you see their priorities.
Seemed like a great game but… refund here I come.

(Sorry for English errors not my first language.)

1 Like

Most likely they are all on holiday for easter.

Can play a bit with the work around you suggested using the controller, but still crash after 20-30 minutes of play.

Hi there. Are you getting a freeze after 20-30mins then a crash? if so hold ESC as soon as it freezes and repeat the fix again. I have done this twice today and it worked! I know its not great but at least we can play the game a little over the Easter break and hopefully get a proper patch sooner rather than later.

Glad it helped… for a bit.

When I release the Esc it freezes until I hold it again. So I held it down with an item, so long as it is held I can play. But after 20-30 minutes it crashes, no freeze.

We really do need that patch. Someone on the forum mentioned they are away until Tuesday now so we maybe have to wait till then I’m afraid :frowning:

Very much so, haven’t been able to get to a safe house past that first bridge yet and got the game on day one.

On Steam, about 7 hours ago, Alvalanche Graham has addressed the community there for with Windows 7 and 8,

Avalanche_Graham said: We are investigating issues with this being an issue for some using Win 7 and 8.
Workaround: Hit escape a few times during the “black screen”

So this is a problem they understand and probably frantically looking for the line that is screwing the rest of us up, which I can get behind to support a game like this. Doing what a Dev should, make a game for people and make sure it works for everyone. YAY :3

2 Likes

Similar issues here. I haven’t been able to play this game yet. Very sad.

Windows 7 - updated
GTX 970
AMD FX 4300 3.8Ghz

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. Game worked great prior to last update.

Having exact same issue.

Black screen at start up and then nothing, thought it had crashed after waiting a long time so alt-tab’d to desktop to end the game and noticed the game then started. Can then access all the settings etc but as soon as I try to select ‘continue’ or character the game crashes me to desktop. Problem only since the patch.

I have posted a new report with full details of this.

(UPDATE) I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and this seems to have fixed the problem, all loads and plays fine now!

I have the same problem.
I failed in starting a new game.
Alvalanche Team did not test with windows7??
This game is too many bugs.Debugging is important in Japanese game. should imitate.

i7-4790k
16GB
GTX970

I have windows 8.1 and the game crash since the last update for me also.

The Stephen GSX workaround work for me as I have also a controller.

But I don’t like use the controller and wait for a fix.

1 Like