Generation Zero story timeline

Yes, that PC was there. However, i haven’t added the locations where you can find the information into the timeline, since it doesn’t add to the overall story timeline (e.g journal at X spot or floppy disk at Z spot).

Yes, that is also part of the main story but without a fixed date, it’s impossible for me to add it to the story timeline. Best i could do is guess when it happened but that may infringe with someone else’s idea when it happened and that can create unnecessary argument. Better to leave it out all together.

That’s interesting. I don’t recall connection between Ljuset Commune and Iron Church. Need to check it out from the game.

Well, in there, there are more discussions about Himfjäll but for story timeline wise, there isn’t anything additional. Other topic: Let's talk alpine unrest

2 Likes

So, I was again at Ljuset. I didn’t find the snus can, maybe I mixed it up. It’s been a few months since I investigated this. But what led me to suspect that the members of the Commune Ljuset are connected to the iron church was the book I found in the hall and the strange cross with the circle and the robot head looks like that of one Hunter. I saw such a cross at bunker 666. The corpses what lying there around were be all shoot from behind or killed by headshot. Looks not so as the work from a robot. Then the corpses are clutteret with bullet holes.

When you read the Log at the side Mission Kapitulation. The group around Anita Sjögren set over to Hjimfäll and met a Fredrik what consumes much Snus in short time. at Valkaken. The Snus can i found at the Computerterminal at Furbacka. I have the suspicion, that this Fredrik is Fredrik Holberg. And in the secret church under the Lighthouse from Klacksundsfryren i found at the Altarpiece a passport from Fredrik Holberg. The Picture on it looks a little bit like the Picture from the Pope of the Iron Church
So i see a connection between the Iron Church - Fredrik Holberg - The Robotkrisis.

I think Holberg is a part of a big Conspiracy. The bots are the clean up command what have to clean the Isle from normal Human beeing for make place for the new race maybe the Homo superior.

1 Like

I was briefly in game today and while i did read the Ljuset Commune book with rituals in it, there was no connection between Ljuset Commune and Iron Curch written in there.

Ljuset Commune is worshiping machines like gods, a cargo cult, to say so. While Iron Church is completely different, lead by Holberg and it’s members consisting mostly of police officers.

Fredrik Holberg was the one who created the concept of combat machines controlled by bunker-stationed pilots. However, what Holberg didn’t anticipate, was FNIX going rouge and attacking both the military and civilians alike.
Why FNIX did that, well, same question can be asked why Skynet declared a war against humans in Terminator series or why machines rule the earth in Matrix series.

3 Likes

Unsure if Fredrik has to do with anything with leadership there, since they have a ‘Pope’ in their Iron Church and Fredrik might’ve been associated, but as time went on, Iron Church became quite unhinged. We can see Fredrik now within Ringfort and not with the Iron Church nutjobs in Bunker 666 as by the sounds of 666, they’re having fun by brawling machines with blunt weapons.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the Iron Church has a wider range of members by having all that sports gear. Not only are there to be Fit officers, but also athletes and sportsmen. Bjortunet hotel has a room filled with Iron Church references.

Ljuset is harder to pin down, but still seemingly has connected with Iron Church in the recent events. They’re not the same by any means, but they’ve seemed to combine strengths with Bunker 666’s presence.

If interested, I had described all of these Here

4 Likes

I agree with you that it is not straight from the book. At this point you have to read a little between the lines. A newspaper article referred to by Anita Sjögren dealt with the Commune Ljuset. It showed that many members have recently left the community and returned to “normal life”. For me, that’s a hidden link to the Iron Church. Perhaps the members were no longer in agreement about their goals and switched to the Iron Church. And for me, Holberg had something to do on Hjimfäll after the “D-Day”. (The message on the computer terminal in Valklaken) and the burned Message in Forbacka
Pherhaps Holberg and the FOA53 was infiltrated by Members of the Ljuset Commune that split of the Commune in the last time. So they wanted Holberg to surrender to get Hands over the Robot Army for their goals.

1 Like

I agree with you that Holberg has developed the idea to control Robots from a Pilot in a Bunker. The row of Consoles in the Bunker i think that are such Control Terminals. Van Ulmer and Ingrid Granquist were that scientists what made that happen.

To controll this Robots there was a new Operating System developed by Veronika Nilsson. She called this Operating System FOA-Unix, short “FNIX” . These comes out of a notice that i found in her office at the Mission “Behind the Courtain”

I wondered, that i was not attacked by robots. Van Ulmer talks to me and said that he awaited me. I answered him “Please to meet you, hope you guess my name.” :smile:

Veronica Nilsson struggeled for a while to bring it to run on the Computer. I think something has went wrong there. Due to problems what she had to bring that OS to run she get help from some unknown men. Pherhaps they infiltrated that OS with a Virus. That FNIX OS is based on Unix-OS.

In the outgoing 80 ths there where a couple of UNIX Operation Systems at the market and some Derivates. After my studies i worked for the Design Center of a Car Companie, what had a Cray Station in his Cellar that was Operated by UNICOS a Derivate of UNIX OS. At this time the manufacturer of Supercomputers like IBM, SUN, Hewlett Packard, Cray and some more, made their own UNIX Derivate adaptet to the functionality of their own product. I have worked with UNIX based Computers because the PC at this time the -286 Chip comes on the market and that could’nt handle so big data amongs to create 3-D Models of a part from a Car. On PC it was in the childrens shoes.
The PC’s in the Bunkers looked a little bit like Commodore Computers. At this time i had one of these and i worked with two floppy disks because a harddisk was to expensive for us hungry students.

This picture shows a Cray Computer from this time.

So here FNIX. After the Installing of the FNIX Programm, something went heavily wrong, because the Robots developed an own life. They developed an artifical Intelligence but only with three goals. Find, Hunt and kill. Interresting is that point that they surpressed the Robot Laws created by Isac Asimov.

-A robot must not injure a human being (knowingly or allow inaction (knowingly) to cause harm to a human being.

-A robot must obey the commands given to it by a human - unless such a command would conflict with rule one.

-A robot must protect its existence as long as this protection does not conflict with rule one or two.

This Laws can cause paradoxes, because when people fight against other people the Robot can take to get the might to prevent that human beeing where injured in according to the first Law. And that is only an Example there can be more paradoxes evolved.

I think that not all machines are controlled by the AI. Some machines where be controlled by people. And i think that van Ulmer has transferred his conciousness into a Supercomputer to escape from his dying body.

2 Likes

I’ll be making a really long video explaining these details, but if you want to know now -
Svante Von Ulmer, the lead scientist that worked for years on this Neurological project sacrificed himself in the name of research. He worked under FOA, that was lead by Fredrik Holberg. Fredrik employed Ulmer and said that what they’re doing is for the security of Sweden. He was true and right, but Ulmer believed it’d be something about saving lives, not taking lives (weapons that kill). Fredrik didn’t like Chemical weapons, but had no decision making in that (FOA 4), so sometimes people pin it on Holberg for being a big bad guy… When really he tried to protect everyone from a harsh reality and questionable methods.

So, Ulmer for years has tried to make a way to send brain signals and translate them to PC signals. Ulmer and Ingrid were lead scientists behind this. Veronika made the FOA-UNIX system. The system she had to create needed to be used as an interface. To perform commands, not only store data. FNIX is just a system, but we call the enemy FNIX because of what controls it. Ulmer’s brain is the one in control, but not Ulmer himself.

Why it’s not a robot, why it’s not really AI… is because Ulmer is human, his brain is human, but his way of processing reality now is Computerized. A brain that can have the power to calculate things beyond human’s speed is why it’s like AI… It’s still a brain making decisions, so that’s why it’s human. It’s a human brain that can think as fast as a computer, using FNIX to control… to send commands and bring the machines online.

Can’t call him Ulmer either just because he has not referred to him as Ulmer anymore… He was born new… This hybrid of sort and why we call it FNIX now. Ulmer loved his colleauges, but this new Ulmer saw them as a threat that could unplug him. Now Ulmer does what the machines were designed for, but he does it to exist.

4 Likes

It was my suspicion from the beginning that it was a human-machine combination, a kind of cyborg. And I agree with you that he has lost his humanity, his feelings. And i thougt that Holberg had cheated him to make van Ulmer and Ingrid Granqvist work for him to achieve his own goals.

1 Like

If not with leadership then honored member he was, based on the shrine dedicated to him.

If a person leaves the cult because they do not believe anymore that living without technological aid is beneficial to them, then that doesn’t instantly mean they joined the Iron Church.

By looking what’s inside Iron Church itself, it seems that it’s members are bodybuilders since there are many tanning beds, heavy weights, sports gear and even a boombox in there. I, personally, don’t consider bodybuilding as “normal life”.

Holberg most likely retreated from main island to get away from FNIX and it’s machines.

There is no actual or superficial evidence supporting that theory but everything can be possible.

Not developed on their own. Instead programmed into the FNIX:

Enemies in GZ aren’t robots, they are machines, which devs have stated on countless times and due to that, robot laws do not apply to them.

2 Likes

Please what is the difference between a machine and a robot? That difference you must explain a little bit more to me.

1 Like

A robot is a machine, capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically and a robot may convey a sense of intelligence or thought of its own.
For example: Tesla’s self-driving car when Tesla autopilot is enabled. There is no need for direct human control to help the car to complete it’s task(s).

A machine is a mechanical structure that uses power to apply forces and control movement to perform an intended action.
For example: UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) aka drone, which has a ground-based controller and a system of communications between the two. Drone can not fly without direct human control over it.

2 Likes

Here I have to contradict you a little bit. I agree with you that a machine is a device that is mechanically controlled by forced curve control or cascade switching and that always performs constant movements. A car e.g. B. is a machine unless it is remote controlled in the sense of a drone, like the drone you mentioned. There is a smooth transition because a robot such as a six-axis articulated arm robot is controlled by a program and executes the specified movements. To lift heavy loads, to paint vehicle, set in window panes. What he makes him different to a machine is the Fact that I can teach him other movements for Example open Beer bottles and fill a Glas. Teaching a Robot is been done by a radio control like unit. If you put this robot on a trolley and allow a certain freedom of choice in its program, so that it can make a decision about what to do next via sensors or via signals transmitted by radio. It interacts with its environment and can perform certain actions as part of its programming. This turns it into an autonomously operating robot. Because AI is not real intelligence but just a program, which enables the robot to make decisions in a certain way. Like the autonomous Tesla car that interacts with its surroundings through sensors. The difference to the robot in the conventional one is that it reacts seemingly intelligently. But there is still a program behind what works after any “If” “Then” decisions. A Hunter in the game is a Robot because it seems to me that he interact with his surroundings and makes a decision how he have to react in that Situation. In the widest sense he is a machine what is intended to bring the Weapons in Position and Kill until he is destroyed. When he hunts you then there is only a Programm what works. Keep the target in sight, runn after him and when you are in range shoot at the target till it is destroyed. And when you came close to the target then Kill it by a jump attack and by the sword. When the Hunter starts a jump attac he will do always the same. He jumps and he tried to stap you with his sword. The next step is a cyborg what is a mixture between human being and a robot. For example a human brain or a human consciousness set in a machine

3 Likes

Helldiver, maybe you must see it as if the machines are all controlled by one hive-mind. They then have no program running that allows them to react to the environment, but can only do what the all-overseeing hive-mind instructs them to do. So perhaps there is constant telemetry between all active machines and the one controlling hive-mind.

5 Likes

For it, i have another example:

Small 4 rotor drone, that most of us can buy from the shop, attach GoPro to it and record arelial vids with it.

For a person, who doesn’t see the person controlling the drone, may have a perspection that the drone is intelligent since it moves itself according to the obstacles it encounters. E.g doesn’t hit the tree, navigates past power lines etc. However, the drone is directly controlled by human via a remote and the pilot is the one who controls the drone for it not to collide with anything.

You not seeing the pilot controlling the drone doesn’t make the drone a robot. It still is a remotely controlled machine.
Same is with machines in GZ. They all are remote controlled without the mind of their own.

6 Likes

That i agree that there is some computer or cyborg what controls them. For that are the relais antennas over all. But i think they have a Programm in it like the Mars rover so that they could do some decisions on their own. For example between Ytervik and Björgsnäskogen is aa Hunter Patrolling the way. I called him Joe. Because i used him as training target. He is lurking allways on me and i tried only to shoot his MG away. Then he does nothing. He stands there like a tin soldier. The i took my Pistol and walked to him at a certain range he starts very agressive his jump attack and i go in a melee fight with him. He with his sword and I only with the Pistol. As i lurked him to the embankment he stood at the rim of it while i stood in the slope out of range from his sword. Then he stroke at me again and again. I stood a time in front of him and he makes every time the same movement. A Robot that is controlled by an Intelligence wouldn’t do so. I think he had made a try of a jump attack or he lured me in an other Position to take me down. I enedet this by shootig him down with the Pistol.

2 Likes

The controlling mind can’t give the right commands if it doesn’t get telemetry from the hunter. I sometimes wonder if the controlling mind has a limit to reacting immediately to incoming telemetry. And this is the reason why machines sometimes act strange, do nothing, or shoots constantly in the same direction.

2 Likes

A machine controlled by intelligence can do all sorts of strange and stupid things due to the flaws in the intelligence.

Same is with pilots controlling the drone. Most of them avoid flying into the tree but there is always someone who disregards approaching tree and flies their drone into the tree, getting it stuck.

3 Likes

I agree because like in real live a computer works only as good as the one what operates him.
However, an intelligent machine, or a machine controlled by intelligence, would eventually stop with a useless movement. I wouldn’t keep running my head against a closed door just because I can’t open it. I would stop sometime because it is so nice when the pain subsides.

Haha thats good :joy: In my earlier years I was flying RC model airplanes. If a single tree stands on a huge meadow, it is as safe as the amen in the church that you meet it.:joy: But it makes no difference flying a Model airplane or a drone the size don’t play any role. But modern Drones like a octocopter you can control it and it have a landing mode so that you can not destroy it by a wrong flying signal.

1 Like

I suspect that the robots are controlled centrally by a computer. This computer is controlled by a human consciousness, perhaps that of Van Ulmer, that of Holberg, or someone else. Let’s call this human-machine connection FNIX.
The robots, runners, hunters, tanks certainly have their own rudimentary intelligence so that they can interact with their environment and continue when they are cut off from the radio. But mainly they are controlled by FNIX.

1 Like

They are still machines. :wink: Best proof: https://generationzero.com/en
Scroll down until you see the lineup of them and look what devs, themselves have called them to be.

3 Likes