Give Experimental weapons quality tiers? (i.e. nerf early experimentals)

What is the point of experimental weapons once the game is beaten? Not everyone gets the DLC. It is a payed DLC after all.

1 Like

I started this game just after the Rivals update came out. If the crashing hadn’t ruined it for me the Rivals would have. The game was overwhelmingly difficult for me as a solo-only player. It was the atmosphere and feel that made it impossible to resist. Slowly finding ways to complete objectives. Spending literal hours creeping through trees around targets trying to establish a workable operation. Unfortunately the crashes would come along and spoil hours of planning and work. I would set traps and pick off machines one at a time but then all my placed items and progress would go away with each frequent crash. But I digress, getting powerful weapons early in the game was absolutely not an issue for me at all. I could not even face a level one Class A rival until I was well into the fourth area or so, and then it was going back for a Class A runner or hunter Rival in the Archipelago area. I will never forget my first Rival battle. But even then facing a vanilla Hunter made my palms sweat. To make matters worse the more you die the more Rivals spawn so it quickly got to where I couldn’t walk anywhere in Archipelago or South Coast without Rivals spying me. Between the rivals and crashing I made no progress for maybe 30 hours of gameplay because I was overpowered everywhere I turned.

By the time I started being able to collect experimental weapons I was beyond ready for some kind of actual improvement in my abilities as a character and the game began moving past fear of engagement to battle hunter, and heaven knows the skill points weren’t making much of a dent. Too far between points and rare is the individual skill point that makes a real noticeable difference.

Then the first experimental weapon I got, and the only one I had for a long time, was the rocket launcher. It takes twice as long to load and uses up extremely hard to get ammo quick. If you happen to miss, you lose out doubly. So it wasn’t some kind of super weapon and wasn’t much use really. I could easily get turned into pink mist if the first salvo didn’t kill off the target as I helplessly and agonizingly slowly reloaded the two shells.

Granted that having gone through the whole game, or most of it, I would certainly restart a new game with a whole array of skills as a player. I would approach everything differently because I’ve learned how to work the game. In that case it could make experimental weapons easier to obtain. But really that’s the reward of having fought through almost 200 hours of PTSD machine nightmares to learn how to do that.
I think just maybe people are forgetting what it’s like to be a new player, and what a tantalizing and amazing experience it is with this title. It isn’t the cakewalk some make it out as, not solo anyway, and these things are not nearly as easily accessible as they are made out to be unless you have the skills and knowledge developed by already having played through the game.

There are two things I don’t like about experimental weapons. One is that they don’t particularly work very reliably or well as it is but for the SMG which I love and of course the Sniper Rifle of Zeus Himself. Two is that they are part of the movement towards the beyond 80’s sci-fi realm that damages the unique atmosphere and thus the immersion for me. It’s the same reason I don’t like the Apo machines. I wish they would have found ways to provide increased challenge as well as increase firepower without breaking the retro real-world immersion.

Tiered experimental weapons just sounds like another unwelcome hassle for me.

2 Likes

You can interrupt the reload sequence by sprinting forwards, so just one round gets loaded. Personally I find this immensely helpful during certain situations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So does that mean that you also want the rivals locked until after main game is complete? Locking them until the dlc doesn’t appeal to me either because I don TV want to buy it until I get through the main story.

1 Like

Current issue is end-game weapons obtainable early game.

If the 6* weapons themselves, alongside Rivals would be locked behind final vanilla mission, it would cure the early game spoilment and also give past end-game players something to do - hunt for rivals and 6* weapons.

If you only lock weapons behind final mission but not Rivals then,

• it wouldn’t make any sense in game world where at one instance, none of the rivals carry 6* weapons and after one mission, they all carry 6* weapons.
  • what other reward or initiative there would be to hunt for rivals?

Currently, there is no reason given within the game why rivals appear in the first place. Though, it’s easy to tie Rivals appearance reason(s) into the main story at the end of story line. But i can’t discuss it without spoilers.

A better decision from the devs part would’ve been putting 6* weapons in Alpine Unrest DLC. This way, once you’re ready to go after apo machines, you have access to more powerful weapons.

Indeed, and that’s how I mostly use it nowadays, since many times I find the second grenade overshooting. It’s good to have the option to blast away two rockets at once, but the weapon really could use a select switch like some of the other experimental weapons do.

1 Like

I actually really like this idea! It’s elegant and achieves pretty much the same thing as mine. I’d probably still keep the attachments restricted somehow, e.g. only allow them on a specific type of weapon, maybe? (meaning incendiary bullets only go on assault rifles, etc) On the other hand, Overdrive on the AG 4 would be pretty hilarious. :V

It kinda baffles me how many people are talking about level-locking the experimentals or otherwise pushing them to the end game, when it should be such an obviously bad idea.

Like, if implementing experimental weapons can be done in different ways that either
A) Make the entire game more interesting, or
B) Make only one part of the game more interesting,

Why would you possibly choose B?

1 Like

Oh thanks!! That’s very helpful!

What if Exp weapons would be weapon mods and they went only on Gold/special tier?

They would be hard to obtain, yet you could start collecting them right away. It would also give more meaning to the “special” attribute.

2 Likes

I can actually get behind this idea, really…
Nice one, sir.

1 Like

I like the idea of no experimental weapons but instead blueprints of special mods(as suggested by pegnose) which could be use at tinkering/craft stations

1 Like

Thanks, but someone else made this suggestion. Mine was the special-only condition.

1 Like

From what we “know” so far, crafting will not be implemented.
Then again… who knows…

Wouldn’t mind a little bit of crafting, like being able to break down duplicate weapons and use them for something else. Didn’t realize it till they introduced the plundra but I am a horder, I hate throwing stuff away. But what to craft? Any ideas?

1 Like

@Crazedndepraved
Me neither… but it would take time to make such work…
As for ideas: Machine Master (AKA Pet Master)
Ideas, ofcourse…

2 Likes

Although they are expanding the dev team for gz atm so who knows what’s in store for the future of this franchise, crafting might come with the next dlc…this is me hoping.

1 Like

Let me follow you in this. :wink:

1 Like

I like that idea. I’ve been hoping for a skill respec option to be released because I really don’t want to start grinding with a new character but a new skill tree such as this would breath new life in the game for me and would encourage me to start anew.

1 Like

If the game was 2 years old I would be asking for a gz2 with all the great suggestion people have putting on the forum

2 Likes

Sadly, new ain’t so new, seeing you do not get the missions back… :frowning: