Gnomes Mask and Gnomes Pod ¡Mysteries!

Yes, you can get them to spawn, a friend and I set out to do this intentionally this evening. But it’s inconsistent, frustrating and time consuming.

The devs most definitely know about it, they had to have put it there. Recently they accidentally had the schematics for a ‘gnome exclusive’ item (a gnome pod) in a recent public build before they swiftly removed them!

They’ve even adjusted the spawn location of the gnomes (slightly) with this update. Previously it spawned inside the room, now it levitates in the doorway.

Old spawn:

New spawn:

The aftermath:

3 Likes

I saw those clips soon after you found them. It gave me hope. I gathered a team and we sought out to finding them. Hopefully, we will find them soon.

1 Like

Congrats on that undead mask.
I have a friend on steam that had another spawn location; west of this new one-the red house near the gas station closest to that command base.
I’ll probably try again tonight.

I’ve had them appear on the latest update in 4 or 5 different houses now. All the same locations as before the update more or less.

Only now some of the old locations are blocked off. So it’s entirely possible you can soawn them in houses that you’re unable to access due to the changes in the environment.

What is the best way to get them, I’ve tried for what seems like an age now and never seen one on PS or Xbox , where’s best , I’m on series X now ! :+1::+1:

There’s a whole other thread on them here;

But basically we (I usually do this in co-op, it is possible solo but would recommend co-op) tour Ostervik and destroy as many cars / junction boxes, gas canisters as we can. All the while popping into and checking out the ground floor of most of the buildings.

Then we head out into the game and find the largest battles we can. (Last night, Himfjäll) If the game starts to get “weird”, with OG machines fighting OG machines or ticks spawning infinitely, or any other such odd behaviour (often tossing flares or fireworks in to large groups can help.) head back to Ostervik and loop again.

If any of the previously blown up gas canisters, junction boxes or cars have reset then the chances are there is a gnome nearby.

Basically rinse and repeat the above. Based on the past couple of days, it feels that despite the reworking of Ostervik the game is in a particularly rough state and these guys are easier to spawn than ever.

Be warned, people on older hardware, OG PS4 / XB1S will have a tougher time of it. It will crash your game. Last night I had 4 crashes to dashboard on Series X, a friend on XB1S had at least twice as many. It can be a truly miserable experience trying to trigger / farm them.

Also, unfortunately, due to the revamp some times they can spawn in a completely unaccessible building. You can go through the trouble of triggering them only to be unable to reach them due to a remodeled house.

Here’s a map of the most likely buildings. (Note: this is pre-Resistance update so the map is slightly different now but I think I’ve seen them in 5 of these same spots now).

4 Likes

Hey really appreciate the info, I didn’t mean to be lazy with other thread on them, I just figured you had another plan :blush::v:
Anyhow thanks I shall try this next long session I can get on, elusive little buggers :joy:

1 Like

If they’re invincible for you, you need to get a second player to investigate the houses.

The house the gnome is in may well be unaccessible for you (unable to interact with a door) but fine for the other players in the session.

This means that the gnome is ‘tied’ to you. If you crash, the gnomes will stop working.

If a player can open a door that you can’t, chances are the gnome is nearby. Make sure players have radios to drop if the gnome appears in a building that you can’t access.

Also, if there’s a house you can’t get in due to the revamp but you think the gnome might be there, fire a rocket at the building. If he’s in there you’ll hear a scream.

If the gnome is in an entirely inaccessible house for all players, then fast travel far away for a while and come back. This will force him to despawn then you can try again, but it should be easier a second time.

5 Likes

Dam I just remembered session ages back where I couldn’t open doors on that location, wish had known it’s a sign :joy:

1 Like

After 600+ hours ingame i accidentally stumbled upon these gnome-ticks for the first time, at a house just north of the Alby Church safehouse:

Got the green and blue gnome mask and a shitload of other loot.

2 Likes

That’s awesome :v: Thanks for the location info I will try that, not had any luck yet in his knows his many hours since launch :+1::+1:

Gotta say, never seen that one before.

Cool, it works for me too on solo, yesterday evening I got a gnome to spawn, and I got 3 masks, 10 gnome-pods, and 16 gnome-ticks from it.

I thought with the “Great Hagaboda Wall” being build in North Coast, I’d better give it some more tries before the update changes the gnome-mask hunting chances.

Edit I have 4 masks now.

2 Likes

Any hints how to get it work on ps5 or in general?

As mentioned previously in the thread, the way to get them to spawn appears to be to cause destruction within Ostervik. Its been the way ive constantly gotten them to spawn myself and each time its worked, at least on Steam. PS4 ive had some issues but likely because im not giving it enough time.

1 Like

Is there anyone who had success on ps5 doing that? Last time I destroyed everything destroyable in Östervik and even didn’t get any framedrop.

Nice ! :+1: Care to elaborate how you manged to spawn the gnome in Hagaboda ?

And do you have to rampage in Östervik for that, too ? Wouldn’t make no sense to me somehow, no ?

1 Like

I have read on Facebook a method that I’m following with a twist of my own.

Preparation.

1. Get in Forest as many FNIX bases to highest alert level. I have 4 Fnix bases all leveled up.
  2. Get rockets, and a lot of ammo. But also try to be as light as possible with space for loot. Rockets are most useful, because these shoot up a lot in one shot.

The time

Although people say that time is irrelevant, for doing this, I feel that I on solo can get them to spawn more consistently when it’s close to midnight ( when the moon is in the south).

The hunt

1. Travel to Alby church, and start shooting up Hagaboda town. Destroy cars, fences, fuel stations, lampposts, fuse boxes, etc. Really shoot it up good. I do not shoot up the two green houses. (not sure if that makes if difference)
  2. Then I check houses for gnomes. I only really checked the two green houses, since they have been very consistent. See map for their location.

1. First I check the house near Alby church to see if a gnome is there. If there is a gnome, but inanimate, I’ll go and shoot up the town more and then run toward the green house north west on map, check if a gnome is there.
    If a gnome is there walk to it, if it glows it’s active, and you can interact with it, which causes it to become a gnome tick. It will attack you, and you have the shoot it before it self-destructs. If it’s dead you loot it, and hope for a mask.

2. You can keep on interacting with the gnome for a long time, each time you shoot it and loot.
    You get 100 gnome-ticks, before the glowing gnome disappears.
    Typically you get 2-3 masks in session, but I also had 5, and if unlucky 1.

3. If no active gnome is found, try to shoot up the town more or restart and try again.

No. I followed the above method and I have spawned the gnome three times now and looted it. I have gotten at least 7 masks, but a number of times I found masks I already had. On moment of writing this I have 4 Masks.

7 Likes

If tried another session, but this time no interactive gnome would spawn. So I’m trying the night-time in-game and night-time in real life approach, because that’s what I did yesterday when they did spawn.

Edit: I know now that night time in real life doesn’t matter, I just got to spawn a gnome, with method above, but this time it spawned in the green house near church, but before that happened I had to shoot up town real good. However, again I got masks that I already have, but I got a lot of pods, and loot.

Maybe I should be happy with 4 masks. :coffee:

2 Likes

Time of day is irrelevant either in game or real-time.

4 Likes