Level Max ruined game for me. :(

Perma death in this game would kill it

1 Like

Yes. Like i said, perma-death would suit as part of the “New Game+” or “Challenge run” mode.
But i still feel that some form of death penalty should be added to the current, normal game.

Haven’t you played any games where when you die, it’s Game Over? :thinking:

Depends what you mean with game over.

If you mean, what I think you mean, “really game over” then no, I never played such a game.
I don’t think I even know a game that has that game mechanic. Please, could you name a few?
All the games I played have some sort of save points. So to start the whole game anew, no,no, I never would want to play those, because I die a lot. And I don’t like to repeat the same thing over and over.

If you’re into survival sandbox games you might try The Long Dark. Once you’re dead your savegame gets deleted and you have to start over.

• DOOM ultra nightmare mode
  • No Man’s Sky perma-death mode
  • Minecraft Hardcore
  • any IO game
  • Almost all games from the early 1990’s and below

Sure. Here are some:

• Commander Keen
  • Dangerous Dave
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • State of Decay 2
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • The Long Dark
  • DayZ
  • Doom Eternal
  • Doom 2016 (only with Ultra Nightmare difficulty)

(The first 4 i have.)

Also, any PvP game that has “last man standing” or “battle royale” are also considered as perma-death games since when you die during the match, you’re dead. No respawns.

It’s like I said before I am not a competitive player. I get no feeling of achievement from playing games on insane modes. It’s the story, the exploring, the puzzles that give me fulfillment.
When I buy a game on Steam, and it does not save progress, I will refund it “Tout de Suite”.

1 Like

I’m about the same, I never play perma-death mode, I wouldn’t hurt myself, but I would destroy hundreds of controllers.
the only game I have ever played perma-death mode on (and beat!!!) is DOOM 2016’s
ultra-nightmare difficulty. sometimes I like the clutch moments, but I have TF2 for that.

Forest is another perma death game that has to do a bit with base building. I dont own it myself, but ive played it abit at other people’s houses, and its pretty good.

This game isn’t Day Z, In my opinion I would really hate to see drastic changes that make this fun to play and easy to pick up, Lv cap doesn’t bother me just enjoy building another character, new missions more mystery like the early days, more enemy’s if it is possible without invoking the many bug gods. If you have stuck with this game for so long why wreck it!

This is only my opinion of course :woozy_face::v:

1 Like

That’s a valid opinion, and your concerns are understandable. However, nobody said that the option to make other characters would be taken away, nessisarily. I’m just saying, it would be nice to actually be able to make use of all of the available skills, since the devs worked so hard to add them.

There are 64 different skills in the game. If you create 4 chars, and level them all up to max, you’ll get 30 skill points per char which = 120 skill points combined.

That’s more than enough to make use all of the skills, divided between your chars.

Even if you want to max out all skills, it would take 87 skill points. That’s still less than 120 skill points you can have, between 4 chars of yours.

1 Like

I guess, my confusion comes from the complete inefficiency of that. I mean, what’s the point of that? It just doesn’t make any sense. And besides, I have (currently) 2 different characters. So, obviously, I am leveling up the new one differently. But, what’s the point of not being able to level up completely?

Soooo…I still don’t see why you cant combine all of that into one character. I mean, you literally just said that there are 64 skills. But you can only unlock less than half of them. So, then you say that obviously, instead of using 1 person with all of the skills, you naturally would split them up between 4 characters…? Why? I mean, if you need one character with a specific skill set, that means you would have to log out, then go into menu, then select the character with the right skills, then go back into the game, find where you were, then MAYBE the robots you were fighting will still be there, and if they are, the scenario in which you were fighting may have changed, therefore, rendering everything you just did pointless.

So, with that said, why not make all 64 skills available to just the one character?

Reason “Why” explained by the devs in here, at 00:10:10,
link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437997329?filter=archives&sort=time

Ok…so all I heard him say was what you already said. “If you want more skills, you cant respec, but you can make a new character.” (Paraphrasing) So, I didn’t really hear any new information, unless I somehow missed dialogue that they said that explained a logical reason to have 4 characters.

Did they at some point discuss why having one character with all of the skills is bad? Because I didn’t hear them say that. Also, although they explained why they added the 4 character feature, (so that you can have all of the skills) but they also didn’t explain why we cant just use one character.

Sorry if I’m getting annoying, but when I watched the part you said answered my question, I literally just heard the same line I’ve heard 10 times from other people.

Sometimes, hearing something from other players isn’t taken as credible as hearing it directly from the devs.

Well, devs don’t explain in-depth why they did this or that (then again, they have no obligation to explain anything). But best what i’ve heard so far are:
here, at 00:45:14, link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550826095?filter=archives&sort=time
and here, at 01:18:10, link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/756453979?filter=archives&sort=time
here too, at 00:31:10, link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/791718316?filter=archives&sort=time

So, that was a bit more helpful, although, it seems like the devs don’t even quite know what the plan is, because out of the 4 videos that you posted 2 or 3 of them don’t really seem like the devs knew what was actually going to happen in the future. So, I do have a better grasp on what their currently doing, at least. Thank you for posting those.

1 Like

I too felt deflated the first time I received zero experience points after winning a battle. I guess a Max Level is fine, but maybe stop reminding me that I’m not getting anything anymore for my trouble.

3 Likes

Maybe put a cap on the perks, but let us continue to level up indefinitely. Even if it is for nothing more than the bragging rights.

2 Likes

What are you talking about. There are enough players who want to reach level 87. The robots get heavier from time to time. I’ve reached the maximum level and don’t feel like playing any more. I don’t want 4 characters with different skills. I’ve played level 31 for many hours. And imagine how long level 87 would take ?! That would be a real challenge for me! And don’t play 4 characters individually! So boring!