Machine behaviour post April 2020 update

Hey guys. It’s been a while. How is the forum doing? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve had a long break from GZ. Last I played regularly was in january, and I played one short session after the big march update, just to check out the big changes.

I’m getting ready to return to GZ very soon, but I’m wondering if I should wait until the next update is released? I understand the difficulty was raised a lot more than what was intended. I played GZ through the whole first year, and I felt like I mastered the gameplay and combat pretty well, so if others can handle it, I can too. But if this is supposed to be fixed in a few days or weeks, I think I’ll wait. Don’t want to get used to one new thing, just to have it changed back again.

What do you think? Is this a good time to return?

Wait for next update in June. There is general consensus they screwed up the last one pretty bad !
I personally have only been playing sporadically, and waiting for next update to even things out… :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

I’m inclined to agree. If you’re a returning player it might be worth to wait for the upcoming patch. The game is perfectly playable, but… It’s a bit… Hm, hardcore. It’s been described pretty well in this thread so far.

2 Likes

I’d absolutely second what @ameinild and @Zesiir said…

plus…

if you really want to return right now, prepare to die… often… and/or waste huge amounts of medikits…

I said I didn’t want to play right after that borked update but I couldn’t resist and meanwhile I got used to die moreoften than ever before and my former k/d ratio totally went down the drain… lol

2 Likes

Ok… Last night I tried playing GZ again, and yeah, damn right I’ll wait for the update! What on earth have they done??

The difficulty was sort of managable, but it sure requires some new tactics. Pre April, the game was a little bit too easy for end game players, and I probably used an adrenaline shot just about every 5 hours or so. I don’t have a problem with dying more in-game, but this is an unfair way to be killed! I know it’s an acknowledged bug, and I know you all know it, but the AI is completely off the hook. The super-speed rocket barrages seem like a bad joke, and it appears the Hunters can see you through terrain now…

After my short session in March, I wrote here on the forum that I liked the new inventory.
I take that back. I absolutely do NOT like the new inventory!
It’s a death sentence to use mid-combat, especially now.
That’s off-topic, so I won’t rant about it here.

Overall, I fear for GZ’s player base. I’m pretty sure those who tried the game for the first time after the update, were disheartened pretty fast, quit and left a terrible review on Steam. We who played the game since launch, know they’re trying to improve the game, and sometimes failing. Failing is a human thing to do though, and everyone deserves a chance to make things right.
I’ll never rage quit. I love this game. GZ has already given me more entertainment than any other game over the last 4-5 years. I have plenty of other games to play while the GZ devs tinker. I’ll always come back. Honestly though, I hope that the dev team can one day land with both feet on stable ground, and be done with the endless bug fixing and changes to interface, gameplay, difficulty and what not. Then they could focus only on expanding the game, not fixing what should have worked a year ago.

So like I said, get back on track and I’ll meet you up ahead. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

During the June event, i managed to record harv close-up, to catch hunter pod airdrops and other interesting info about it;

At 00:51, just after my clip runs empty, the strange sound is heard, :thinking: most likely the harv’s call for hunter pod airdrops.

Been playing for 100 hours now on ‘medium’ difficulty. Just wanted to add my few comments on this topic.

1: The Hunters with gass launcher and Concussion gun (the .50 cal looking thing) - Have basically unlimited range and hit you even when you are out of line-of-sight and have moved position when out of sight - They basically can track you through objects…
The concussion gun can hit through some objects (maybe intended but combined with the tracking out-of-sight is the issue.)

2: The missile flight time of Harvesters and Tanks is too short and gives basically no time to react to the launch.

3: Overall machine accuracy is maybe a little too high although I dont think it needs to be reduced by much, maybe 5%… maybe it would be fine without the abive issues

4: Infinite spawning of the Hunters from harvesters while not impossible to deal with feels very cheap. Maybe there should be a component on the harvester that takes some time to destroy but allows you to stop them calling for backup (maybe a comms/satalite dish or radio looking thing on top that you can shoot off)

Other than that i feel the difficulty is goodand with 2-3 players. and with 4 i feel going to ‘hard’ or turning on the scaling option would be viable.

I am really enjoying the game and cant wait for the next update/dlc (not cosmetics please :smiley: )

Cheers

2 Likes

Absolutely agree! We should have a way to disable the harvester’s ability to call in hunters.

Also, idk if anyone has noticed, but the hunters drop in the form of a tick pod, the devs might need to create a new model to make it more believable :wink:

even on normal difficult a fnix tank blasts you with his rockets from over 200m in under half a second, so you are unable to evade anything now. Well you dont die from one hit, but still… its an aoe attack it should fly in a curve. Same goes for the hunters btw.

I really wonder if they did test it inhouse before releasing it and I honestly doubt that. I would suggest next patch it should be fixed and every player should get something for free. Like 50 adrenaline and 100 health packs or a t-shirt stating “i survived the bug”

the flech. gun from hunters hits you inside buildings… seriously? I know you are a small studio but those bugs should never! find its way in a finished game. Goint to switch to easy difficult now… really sad.

I am so frustrated right now. Went to try to kill a rival harvester against my better judgement. Not only did it spawn in like 10 hunters, but they provided an endless wave of those gas attacks. Since their were so many it was a constant stream of it. The gunfire attracted 2 tanks, who also fired rockets endlessly into my buildings. After 400 ammo and having killed the rival, and no end in sight, I quit the game. I’m overjoyed the update is being reverted.

1 Like

The problem with making a component that you shoot off to disable the rocket pods that spawn hunters is that good players will immediately shoot them off to disable the rocket pods, and you’re now left with exactly what we had previously - defenseless harvesters. I don’t think it was an accident that components to disable them were left out.

It all comes back to a system that the developers are working against. If we disable components, it -should- be easy to kill the machines. That’s why the components are weak points. The developers now want us to focus on weak points to make it strategic, but want to make the enemies harder for challenge. They’ve got to accept that the reward for playing the game the “right way” is that the player gains an advantage - that’s the reward. It doesn’t mean the robot should just fall over, but why have weak points that don’t really do anything?

That’s kinda the point. Harvesters were not supposed to be front line combat units. Implementing hunter spam just results a tedious situation that can still be bypassed with sufficient DPS.

I agree with you. I think the rocket pods were a solution to a problem that didn’t really exist in terms of the reward loop, and should have never been implemented.

rocket pods? the rocket pods dont spawn hunters as you can kill them and the hunters can still be called as far as iv seen.

Im talking about an additional component like a satalite dish. so you chose first to either take them out or the rocket pods first. and yes, a tactical choice to take the hunter spawn out first is exactly the point and not a “problem”. “do i take the hunter calling comms device or the rockets first?”

Another issue is that when me and a friend fight those hunters that are spawned they can see me even after i die and respawn they are already shooting at the spawn point with gas and “50 cal thing” even 1km or more away.

Then say my friend is out of combat but i am in combat, as soon as i die, they know where he is, even though he never got spotted.

Also. Hacking is straight up rubbish… you hack a target then it alerts them all to your location? whats that about?!

Oh, one more thing that is a bit naff, the bullets from a hunters gun can come out sideways from the barrel… they should have to atleast face you to shoot! come on!

1 Like

… which lower your chance to get a weapon in loop, or? That’s what I understood - shooting off machines’ weapons minimizes a chance to get a weapon in loot.

I said rocket pods, I meant a fictional device (satellite,like you said) you’d shoot off to disable the hunter spawns. That’s my bad, but I hope you understood the point, which was it’s another thing to shoot off to nullify the threat. Which will then turn the developers into saying it’s too easy once the threat is nullified, so they need to buff it more. That’s literally the response to the shooting of the current rocket pods - they got defenseless, so now you get to deal with hunters, instead of saying “the player did what we want, which is precision targeted destruction, so we now reward them with an enemy who poses less of a threat” (that’s opposed to an enemy with a greater threat if you ignore the rocket pods and just run up to it shooting any square inch of it that you see).

You can take out the satellite dish first or the rocket pods first, but you’ll take them both out eventually if you’re playing “correctly” and then you’re back to where you started which is a harvester stomping around helplessly because you did the gameplay loop “correctly”, which the developers adamantly don’t want to see.

It’s like working at your job and when you do it efficiently, instead of getting a paycheck, you just get more work. Demoralizing and frustrating.

1 Like

Well there is: destroy the harvester :joy:

The whole “dropping hunters from mid-sky” may be a good way to have a harvester call for help but the implementation is ridiculous to watch and destroys the immersion. Why not have hunters run from somewhere to the fighting place? Spawn hunters just out of LOS and have them run to the fighting scene. This way the harvester could even alert other machinery close by. That would make fighting it way more dangerous then just dropping hunters from some imaginery invisible platform mid air.

The photon torpedoes needs fixing too. The speed is insane. A rocket with this speed shot at this short intervals like nowadays should overheat the ejector quickly. But it doesn’t. But I have to say I can live with it if the direction the harvester can fire is aligned with the firing mechanism.

This and more realistic appearing reinforcements would keep immersion and let the harvester still be a challenge to destroy. I’d like to see that.

I’d like a confirmation on that too. This is exactly how I fight big machines (hunter+).
I think especially for exp weapons there should be a check for that to allow spawning EVEN if the weaponry is destroyed.

Could this mean that the “Mechanic” skill increase the exp weapon drop rate?

2 Likes

The most important part: If you want Harvesters to be a challenge you also have to reward the player for destroying them. Make it drop a guaranteed 3 to 4 crown attachment or something. It doesn’t have to be much just make sure the fight doesn’t feel like a pure ressource sink because that’s what makes people avoid them wherever possible which cannot be the way the game is intended to be played.

2 Likes

I am fine with the “air support” by dropping hunter pods on the battlefield, but it should have been done differently. First it should be a one time only ability or have a long cooldown, say at least 5-10mins. Next we need a flying terminator like machine now. I would suggest a huge flying carrier ship dropping those pods. The harvester gets in defense mode, a big carrier machine flys to the battlefield, drops 4-5 hunter pods next to the harvester and flys off again. That would really rock the world for me. Then you have that long 5-10min cooldown (cause the machine ship needs to be refulled etc.)