Machine Master (AKA Pet Master)

Yes, @tene, I follow your logic, but:

Exactly. We don’t really know how, do we? Do you remember Pixar’s lamp? Many years ago some guys playing with neural networks wanted to teach a population of mathematical modelled Pixar lamps to jump under a wire. If one succeeded, they lowered the wire a bit and let it try again. Eventually, a small part af the population reached the same level of expertise and the experiment was thought to be concluded. Until, of course, one stubborn lamp decided to tip over and crawl under the wire as a worm.

Never underestimate the “in some way” when talking evolution :wink:

Edit: I apologize, @Flick, they were playing with genetic programming :blush:

3 Likes

Single player only! Absolutely agree with you, @Xogroroth :blush:

It would be a nice addition to a game that is becoming a bit too familiar to me now.

1 Like

In a lab, long ago, they had spider machines running around.
Very basic stuff: avoid one another, and if running low on power, go fill up.

At a point, one broke of a leg.
Nothing special.
But then… it ‘learned’ to correct itself, and walk with a leg less, while it was never programmed to do so.

Further more, the scientists noted, that the tiny machines began to ‘cheat’: they went much sooner than programmed to power up again…

Both situations were totally unexpected…

Not sure if a pet would break the boredom, really…
IMHO we’d be better of by a new machine model or 25 to fight against?

2 Likes

Yes, several postings claim that, and I actually considered starting a new thread on this subject. How have you (and the other guys/girls) come to that conclusion? And how on Earth would that have been carried out? How would the logistics work if you are to somehow gather thousand’s of people, somehow expose them to some kind of anaesthetic to somehow make them manageable, somehow perform highly complicated neurosurgery on them to somehow make them serve as a controlling entity to the endless number of machines we encounter?

There is a lot of “somehows” in the theory (okay, it was done in the Matrix, but that was just a movie, right :wink:). So I haven’t been entirely convinced, that I not, somehow, would be able to make a machine my ally :blush:

1 Like

Answer is dead simple.
Use an existing one, reprogram it.
Enemy machines, VERY crudely, have these commands:
*1 Check for heat: if between X and Y temperature, then:
*2 Check for heartbeat: If found, then:
Kill the damn thing.
End program, return to *1…

We would erase this and program the next lines:
1* Check for movement. If so:
2* Check for metal component, size between X and Y cm. If so:
Destroy it.
End program, return to 1*

The end.

You can add: commands to follow you, commands to protect you, …

Conclusion: brain tissue is not needed, at all.

2 Likes

Maybe, you could check out this idea?

It is MP friendly…

2 Likes

Yes, if crafting is implemented, that could be fun. Imagine being a runner for a while :smile:

However, I think my suggestion would require less coding. Add a wrench as an item (get it from the bike workbench). Carry it in the inventory. Apply it on a stuck machine. Hug the machine you just fixed. Pick up the lure and place it in the inventory. Drop it when facing a tough opponent. Your Ally arrives and act as if you threw a sticky flare at your opponent. Enjoy the show.

1 Like

Hacking could give a small chance to turn friendly. I imagine determining “stuck” is not that easy programmatically.

1 Like

It should become “stuck” deliberately. A rare random decision.

Btw, found the paper on “Luxo learns to limbo” here.

1 Like
Summary

In the final mission of the game you see bodies hooked up to computer mainframes, and in many writings of the fnix program it is all about brain interface programs.

2 Likes

A literal nobel prize winner was doing the programming and computer engineering to create FNIX. It wouldn’t be as simple as you say. And yes brain tissue is, if you don’t understand the story i won’t fault you, it’s pretty complicated. But using human brains was very necessary in the process.

1 Like

Thanks, @tene. I don’t remember that but I’m sure you’re right.

2 Likes

Xog,

Summary

They used humans for the map interface (because it was supposed to be humans controlling the bots) and for basic control like walking. Walking is a very hard problem to solve - see how far boston dynamics have got.
The “thinking” and mastermind wasn’t human brains. Keeping people unconscious was a good way to get to use the useful parts like complex motor control.

And @IanForce, I could tell that was a GA. They will surprise you. They’ve very good at finding whatever works. Do you remember the Golem project?

4 Likes

Wait a minute! Who was it that suggested that one could find a new Dog in a container and hack it, and it would become your pet? Let me think a minute… If I could just remember…

Oh! I know! IT WAS ME!!!

You’ve done it again, you b@st@rd!!!

Looking it another way - I’m just so far ahead it’s beautiful (Bonzo Dog reference there - name that tune).

What did Paul Simon say? “All my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity”… Though in this case in shades of brilliance. I even laid down how it would work - that you could call it, or send it (if it took too much damage for instance), and at a safe house repair it. It could not fast travel, but would set out across country to wherever you were on the map.

I like Dogs, hate Hunters. If I had a pet Hunter, I’d kill it. A Rocket Dog is the answer.

2 Likes

Simpler than that.

Find Master on map
Goto Master
Shoot at anything Master shoots at
If >50% damage break contact to 450 yards from Master
Goto Master if Master in Safe House

1 Like

Well, one can basically reprogram a brain.
OK, wait, let me go back.
One can DISRUPT a brain with nothing more than electro pulses.
In time, we will actually be able to REWRITE a brain.

What is a brain?
Nothing more than a computer, basically, severely enhanced, sure, but no more than a computer.
If you believe in a soul (whether from religious point or not), one could argue the brain is the interpreter between this soul and the vessel, the body.
Now, this is all very philosophical, science has not found proof of such a soul, but funny enough, in this “anti-religious era” some scientists are convinced there is a soul, therefore not religion tied, but still a ‘higher function’, a higher level of being.

Either way, whatever the true function of the brain, it is a computer, and more and more we get to a point where we will be able to reprogram this system…

Why write this: well…
It comes down to what I earlier said: basic.
Virtual, C++, Oracle, does not matter…
Just reprogram the damn thing and be over with. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes of course, @Bootie, that is what I do. How come you still act surprised? :joy:

My Chief of Staff at work once told me, that if someone steals one of your ideas and present it as their own, it is a token of admiration and a fine compliment. So please stop whining and shut up :wink:

1 Like

Okay, you never commented, so I’ll let you off! You may not even have read it… :woozy_face:

1 Like

Sounds very much like my idea :thinking:

2 Likes

I suspect it’s a token of admiration and a fine compliment, Ian.

3 Likes