More weapons that use less utilised ammo types

So I finally caved and bought the Eastern weapons pack, and something I’m noticing immediately is that the rifle and MG are running 7.62, which is extremely common for new weapons.

Don’t get me wrong here, I get that 7.62 is very likely a common ammo type used by many irl weapons, but are there really no other weapons in the entire history of warfare that run on .243 or .270? I’m the kind of person who enjoys using ammo on machines to burn it, rather than just scrapping it, but my options for burning many ammo types are limited to frankly garbage weapons that are totally outclassed.

When every weapon uses vanilla ammo, it competes with the experimentals that also use the same ammo. If a new weapon that does nothing but shoot bullets has to directly compete with my Exp KVM, then it’s getting thrown right into storage. I’m not dumping ammo on a gun that’ll do mediocre damage when I can use my old reliable KVM which is guaranteed to deal massive amounts of damage for the same ammo cost.

I’m not asking for new ammo types, I’m asking for more ammo types to be used. Bring in more unknown weapons, maybe even introduce resistance built weapons that use underused ammo. Anything but 7.62 and 9mm, please

4 Likes

The .243 and .270 calibers respectively are primarily for Hunting Rifle cartridges.

Some more of those would be nice to see though, I’m sure the civilian population has/had more weapons for those calibers.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they added more calibers and weapons to match on the non dlc end. .308 is used a lot in the states but not able to speak for the other countries. Some mean snipers and ARs use this cal and I could see some fun guns join but I don’t think it’d fit the time period to well. Maybe some similar things could be fun though too.

1 Like

I think it was good that they added some more calibers or ammo types with DLCs.

But I agreed that it’s sad that some calibers are just used by a single weapon.

In fact, if you own all DLCs, it’s the .243, .270, .50, .44 and 9x39.

Well, there are experimental weapons that use rockets, .270, .50 and .44, but in the end these weapons are still the same, but higher classes.
There also are the granatgevär, g79, RPG, flamethrower and the bow which use their own special ammo types.

The 9mm pistol and .32 instead just have a single gun to use just in the basic game, but got another weapons by DLCs. In case of the .32 even a weapon of a different class (möller=secondary, vosa=primary).

The 9x39, g79 grenades, flamethrower Napalm, arrows and RPG rockets are just available by DLCs and are the only ammo types without an experimental ammo type.

On the other hand the 7.62, 5.56 and 9mm smg have too many options, especially the 7.62.

You see, there are many reasons for some changes or more weapons that use existing ammo types to get some more options for them.

Imagine for example some kind of .50 machinegun. A stationary but manually controlled high caliber bullet spiller. You can place it and pick it up again like a companion, but if you forget it on the battlefield, it’s lost and have to be found by loot again.
And keep in mind that you’re immobile while using it and therefore an easy target.

There could also be underbarrel grenadelaunchers that use the G79 ammo, too.

Or combine the 9mm pistol and smg ammo, that it can be used with the klauke and the kpist for example, select 3 of their 6 experimental ammo types to stay and move the other experimental types to 9x39 ammo. Then we could also get a new free weapon for this caliber and would have another option.

Last but not least we would just need another option for the .243 and the .270. Maybe there could just be slightly different other hunting rifles for them. I would love not to find yet another meusser when searching houses in archipelago at the beginning.

1 Like

I am sold on the ideas. Can they pre-sale DLCs?

I think experimental ammo for the flame thrower would be awesome. Give it a corrosion ammo that stays in line with other corrosive ammo. Tar ammo could work as well. Or even add an experimental thrower with one of the existing types of ammo effect built in like electric then synergies between the ammo could be amazing. Imagine an arcing electrical thrower that chained the arc to other bots (no more than 2-3) using corrosive ammo to do component DMG and shock stun all in 1. I’m rather sure the devs could do this but idk if it’d crash me like mad. I’d still use it :joy:.

I wouldn’t bet that we will get experimental ammo for DLC only weapons and ammo.
That’s why I suggested another free weapon for 9x39 ammo.

That’s why I suggested an exp version of it in the free obtainable area :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:. I figured the same.

The problem is that 90% of the DLC weapons are suboptimal garbage. The bow is ok, if you like silent kills, but the guns are almost all garbage compared to the basic weapons and if you’re playing at the Experimental level, then everything less than Rank 6 is garbage. They need to make a few Experimental DLC weapons to make them worth collecting and using.

1 Like

That’s a bit rough. They’ve all been balanced well compared to the game’s regular weapons.
Experimentals are their own class entirely. The devs have stated that they should always be available to everyone, not locked behind a DLC.

Not really. They’re all substantially worse than any of the base guns. They fire slower, do worse damage, have poor penetration and kick like mules, even with the sniper perk. Not one of them is superior to a base weapon in its class, and compared to the Experimental version, they aren’t worth your time. Maybe if you’re a fan of the gun, it might be fun to have it, but to optimize your endgame, there are certain weapons that are superior to all others in their class, and they’re the all from the base game. The only things I got out of the DLC I bought that were worth the price of admission are the consumables, and the Bow. The pitchfork was fun for scoring up little bullseyes on the walls, but the Rank 6 Hammer is the only melee weapon you need once you’ve killed your 50000000 ticks for the achievement.

Rank 6 Sniper Rifle (.50 “Rail Gun” PVG90)
Rank 6 Machine Gun (7.62 “Lightning Gun” AG4)
Rank 6 Pistol (9mm “EMP Blaster”)
Rank 6 Hammer (“Thunder Hammer” or “Mjolnir”)
and the
Rank 6 SMG (9mm “Burp Gun” Kpist SMG)

The rest gimmick themselves out, have poor handling, blow thru ammo too fast for their accuracy, or do too little damage to be worthwhile. And the Rank 6 Magnum Revolver doesn’t do dailies very well, so it loses out to the Rank 6 9mm.

I’ve done the math and experimented enough to know which weapons are worth my time. Now one of my fire team does like the Rank 6 AG5 Assault Rifle, but I’m not enamored with its lower damage vs the superior firepower of the AG4 Machine Gun. That’s comparing apples to oranges, though, so it doesn’t count. I just have too many other weapons and it doesn’t make my cut.

Edit: I forgot the Remote Controlled Ticks. I love those f%#$ing things! They get a spot on my wheel. Good job, guys

Sorry but it’ll be 6* ag4+shock ammo= “the one ring to rule them all” over here. This thing ruins everything in spawn range with that ammo fairly quickly. Has always been my choice over either of the mg’s. The fire plus shock synergy on this has always had a fun effect on my game play method. And if you’re smart enough to remember electric seeks ground and place a shot or 2 at the feet of your target well…

2 Likes

As I always said:

Not the quality of the DLC weapons is their problem, but the way they are provided.

For players or characters who already got everything else, most of the DLC weapons are no benefitial addition.

For players who are new or start a new fresh playthrough, the DLC weapons come too early and too late. “What?!”

Yes, they start with all the DLC weapons from the First plundra which make them too strong for early game. Additionally there are too many options.

Then they find or get the first basic weapons and additions… but until they find and kill machines that drop DLC weapons that are worth to use, they probably got level 25 and already got 5c basic weapons or even experimental ones.

DLC weapons should be removed from the Initial plundra and instead should be placed in the world or world loot, too.

As alternative for the opinions that think, bought stuff should be accessable initially, I brought up an idea of one or more special locations with a DLC Box that contains 1c versions of each and works like a fmtel-box.

So in short words: with a better integration they would fit better into the rest.

1 Like

I got onboard because it suggests making use of ammo and or weapons that most beginners HAVE to use and end game players want to use because of their playing styles. Either a base game add-on or a DLC, seems not too many expect it could be better than the base game level 6s we already have. I accept that and never figured the Dev team wants anything to be better than the base game level 6s.

At best we find them, play with, and test them for a while and then they become part of our dust collection. Those that have been buying/supporting the DLCs as they come out realize that is the way it is and has been since after the first two map expansions. I for one will spend the money if something comes out as a DLC, or I will collect it if it becomes part of the base game.

1 Like

The real takeaway here is that we need more Rank 6 Experimentals based off the DLC weapons so they can compete evenly with the base game Rank 6 Experimentals. They don’t need to have new effects, but they need to have something to give them utility in the endgame.

Also, certain types of weapons are underrepresented. I’m looking specifically at Sniper Rifles. Right now, because the PVG90 is the only .50 cal with huge damage, huge stopping power, and huge penetration, it’s the ONLY Sniper Rifle in the game. The other Sniper Rifles were designed for softer targets and cannot fulfill their role against robots. So we need more Anti-Tank Anti-Materiel Rifles to act as long range Sniper Rifles in the context of the game. Honestly, something Rank 6 with the Lightning Gun effect would be visually awesome to use. 500m lightning bolt flies out and arcs from target to target at range, frying robots and triggering EMP effects. That would be worth the price of admission.

As someone who’s actually beta tested the lot of them I can safely say that’s not the case.

You may not like the DLC weapons, and that’s your opinion, but they’re not “suboptimal garbage”, as you so elogently put it. They’re there if you want to increase the weapon/equipment pool, and so players can have a wider choice of what to use if they want.

Of course they are not comparable to the endgame Experimentals.

To stick to the topic a bit; I think future DLC could definitely benefit from some more proper Sniper Rifle options, some more hunting weapons and more shotguns.

1 Like

Your mileage my vary, but claiming they’re fine because the bloat the pool of weapons with non-options is not a solid argument against them being a hot mess. I have no opinion on the weapons outside of their viability in-game, and when they perform, at all levels, below the standard set by the main weapons, they’re suboptimal, no matter what you think of me or how I describe them.

That’s all well and good, too, but don’[t you think that fixing what’s in the game already should be more of a priority since if they haven’t gotten it right so far, why would we think they would get it right with new DLC? To put it in a proper reply context, if what we’ve paid for so far hasn’t been worth the price we paid, why would we spend more money on new stuff that probably won’t feel good, either?

They need to bring the weapons in the DLC packs up on par with the base game weapons and add Experimental versions that make them viable in the endgame. The weapons in the current DLC packs feel anemic, weak, impotent, and suboptimal. They are not fun to play with, not useful in combat, and not viable options in the endgame. By any metric, that makes them worthless.

We paid money for them. Telling your paying customers that what they think of your product isn’t valid is poor customer service. You work for the company, at least as a contractor, and your comments are out of line.

That, is your opinion. And I disagree with it. But let’s leave it at that, and hope for more improvements down the road. :+1:

1 Like

Zesiir doesn’t work for us, he’s a volunteer, but I see your point:) A moderator offering counterpoints can be intimidating and as one of the most knowledgeable members of the community he will have some strong, very well informed opinions about the game.
He didn’t mean to shut down your opinion in any way, he was simply contributing his viewpoint.
Please carry on with the discussion of this topic, keeping in mind that all opinions are just that: opinions.
They are meant to be stated and respected, not shut down.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I really don’t want to step on anyone’s toes here. I’m just passionate about the game.

Sorry for derailing the discussion.

3 Likes