Plans for base building?

While I love crafting and base building in other games like Fallout 4 etc, I think it doesn’t mix with this game very well. It’s supposed to be a story driven game where we roam through an area that’s been taken over. It’s all we can do to suspend disbelief enough to accept that small arms would work against mechanical foes, now we should be able to craft grenades or build up fortifications that a hydraulically powered machine couldn’t simply rip open in a moment? No, the game is about suspense and sure, there are long periods of running around doing nothing followed by tens of seconds of terror when you get in over your head and end up against three squads of hunters or something. But it isn’t Fallout.

I just don’t think it works here man. But remember, the game is still very new and more content will be added. Maybe wait and see what the devs do with the story and everything else before looking at crafting? :slight_smile:

1 Like

GZ is an open-world game, but it still has a pretty much linear story for you to follow. That’s what you’re supposed to do, scavenging whatever you can find along the way and using the loot to survive overwhelming odds. And because your inventory is limited you have to make choices about which items are most useful.

So, what would a base with crafting lead us to?
Resource grinding, constantly running/teleporting to base, crafting everything needed instead of finding it, hoarding tons of equipment … it’s basically the opposite of what the game tries to achieve. If that’s what people want, there are dozens of games that revolve around crafting and base building already. Given the current state of GZ, most of them probably a lot more polished as well (sad but true). Play any of these, simple as that.

2 Likes

Well, I think it depends on how it’s done.
As is right now, the game lacks tangible rewards for progressing through the game. I believe that a “home base” could provide that. A place in the game world that clearly changes, sort of like the mansion in GTA: Vice City.
Nothing advanced, nothing that actually requires you to go to the base all the time and actively do stuff beyond progressing through the game.

I get what you’re saying. It’s just that to me, the tangible reward is the progression through the game…the story is the whole point.

1 Like

Personally I liked the idea of upgradeable strongholds like they had in Mad Max, which was another Avalanche Studios made game.

In the Second World War, on several occasions full blown Tiger Tanks were stopped by nothing but .303 weapon fire. It literally broke everything breakable and clogged every moving part until it ground to a halt. The 7.62 is the updated version of the .303, and just as destructive. The machines aren’t tanks by any means - lots of visible moving parts and outside resources. In machine gun mode, you’d just tear them to pieces…

What might be an idea is deployable defenses instead of literal bases.

Like putting down objects to prepare for an ambush or a little field base to fall back to if your assault failed.

Those were the first gen stuff at the start of the war which were hold overs from the first world war basically. You’re talking plate steel that most .30 rounds can punch through with the right velocity and steel core.

The machines in this game are built more like large earth moving equipment plus armor panels. They DO indeed have things exposed but shooting these, at least in my game, does nothing. Oh I’m sure it does like 1.00002348 damage instead of 1.0 but it needs to be more than this. Look at the big hydraulic connections on the outside, upper part of a tank for example. Those hoses? Ya that’s what those are. Shoot enough of those away and that leg should >>>STOP WORKING<<<. THIS, this kind of damage model with small arms I’d be perfectly fine with. Or hey, how about when you shoot a camera with, say…a .50BMG round it, dents it or something? Cracks a lens maybe? Does something other than make a spark? Or, say I shoot it with a recoiless rocket round? THAT should, using a dual purpose round, blast away most external hardware like cameras or power lines etc… All any of these do is just rub the paint a wee bit harder.

Anti-armor rifles in WWII btw, were huge things. Sure they started off smaller but then, you must remember the armor they were trying to defeat too. As vulnerabilities were shown each side would try to overcome it and it was an arms race. Ending up with huge cumbersome 20mm+ rifles and even small field support guns being deployed by three man teams trying to lug around some 200+lbs of steel while staying out of a tank’s line of sight…I mean, if that’s what you wanna play cool…but we kind of have a .50 for that. Maybe add some of those shaped charge rounds for it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, if you want cool Machines (in a cool game), then retro-industrial cool isn’t practical against even 80s weapons. I mean, those machines might stand up to that poxy 5.56 Nato round (which I think, bizarrely, is more destructive in this game), but the 5.56 round is very small and light, won’t go through a tree and is designed to be destructive by tumbling when it hits a yielding substance like human flesh.

The 7.62 in the other hand is a high velocity round, nearly twice as heavy, and would go through a Hunter and three of his friends. The only thing on a car that would stop it is the engine block, and you’d have to hit that square (I speak from experience). If a Hunter were solid enough to keep it out it would be too heavy to move. A 7.62 round strikes with a force of 3,000 ft/lbs (that is: a 1lb weight dropped 3,000 feet with no air resistance.)

The Germans in WW2 had a 20mm mobile infantry cannon which worked really well against anything short of a full tank, and armoured reconnaissance vehicles have a 30mm Raden cannon, which will destroy an APC with a three/six round burst.

There’s nothing in the game that would stand against a single Charlie G HEAT round. Or even a throwaway 66mm (which should be in this game - the animation would be so cool)!

But this is what we’re up against! :smiley:

You’d be surprised to see what 5.56 AP can do. Especially military bulk harden steel or today’s tungsten carbide with green tip coats can do to steel in the 60-now. I think your stating 7.62x54r. But yeah 30 caliber is a heavy round and depending on the special ordinance it can be nasty. I know first hand on that round too. I used to own a psl-54c aka a knock off dragnov svd or rpk turned sniper. Great gun by the way for as cheap as it is. I do believe the game needs more weapon tweaking but it’s coming. And I love how they listen to their fans.

Funny where you all went with this conversation lol.

I’d like to see base like building implementation in the game. More of a deployable defense on the go and mini camps that’ll let you change the time and have a storage like on COTW. But use the mil style tents. Deployable defense system I think be neat would be you drop deploy sandbags that let you mount weapons for steady shots or control for Lmg’s.

The bikes could have a few slots to hold DDS items would make the bike even more of an asset.

A lot of people have talked about base building so i thought i would do something a little different and put together a video on how i could see base building fitting into the future as a future DLC for generation zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHEsBTqGeM

If any of you out there in the community agree with my points/opinions or have more to add please do so too as i could see this being great end game material for generation zero :smiley:

l hope they do add some form of a base. DLC yes, but it needs to be a full base building side to the game.

And yes one of those islands not used at the moment would be perfect for a well camouflaged home base of sorts, could use a small boat to fast travel back and forth from your base island to the machine infested island.
Would also be cool to see some human npc’s as well , move them to the base for safety and then get em working on making ammo ,weapons, farming ect.
And so begins La resistance :grin:.

1 Like

I didn’t even look at the potential for there finally being nps in this location! that would also be the perfect spot to add them and keep them safe, because the hero (aka the player) made that happen. great addition to it my dude!

that tent based base building does seem very interesting, but due to how multiplayer is shaped currently it’s really difficult to implement. A reason to have a base would pretty obviously be for loot storage, but you would only be able to build if you are host since otherwise it is not your world. anti-griefing would be needed as well. Unless active server hosting becomes a thing for this game, i dont see this happening any time soon.

People, this is not the type of game for a base.
For one, the size of map.
You’d be out exploring most of the time.

Then there’s the part where folks make different bases, one can only load ONE base, the other three from players can’t be put down.

The size of the map is actually perfect for a base, if you go out exploring but have a set location to return to it will allow an ebb and flow of game play where you go out looting, to return to your base to store said resources and materials.

And yes figuratively only the host can build in the hosted world. So if you want to build up your base you play in your world, i don’t see where the issue is with that @Xogroroth ?

@tene
Sir, as you are constant on the move, a set base is… just not logical.
If it were a MOBILE base such as a command truck or similar, well…
But a base here in GZ would not be mobile.

Completely incorrect: is should be:

That is, if you have a SET place to build a base.
But even if you could build anywhere, buildings might overlap others (think of FallOut76).
So, yes, in effect, only the server (host) can have his base on the field.

Kind of… not good, is it.

Funny that you bring this up.
It actually is already ingame, if you did not notice.
Quite a darn lot, actually, these ‘set locations’.
If not mistaken, I believe these are called ‘secured houses’ or something like that…?
What was it again?
With them big pirate chests that follow you everywhere (‘plunderings’, right?) and magically transport that stuff along to the next set location you visit?

Seeing we have actual magic ingame, I’d love me a Technomancer… hmmmm…

Not true, you choose to be on the move, there isn’t much of a benefit to hunker down in game so far, so it would be a nice change of pace.

No i was correct, there is no base building so far so it is figurative.

If the location set to build was not near any buildings they wouldn’t overlap, there are many forms of base building we could see, i go over a few in the video linked in the OP.

I came up with the ideas before the plundra was introduced. IMO i would prefer a set location to store mats than the current system but its what we have so i won’t complain, because complaining gets you no where.
As i’m sure you’ve noticed.

To what purpose would you go sit down?
Machines are hunting you, having an evening stroll in the moonlight is out of the question, so is taking a long breath, so to speak, as machines will figure your position, form up on you, and…

Further on: sitting still… reminds me of the Jedi.
Passiveness leads to stagnation, one gets stuck in one spot.
No?

Well, you spoke from a position, where it already was implemented, hence literally?
Does not matter, really.

Logical.
Oddly then, people tend to build a base usually at the same spot as others do.
Now, for one, not all locations equally suit, be it due to enemy spawn points, bad terrain, other things in the way, so one is already quite limited to a good spot for a base.
Comes in: tactical preference, and other factors…

And this is another point: what is good for one, is bad for another.
People just are never content, I fear…

Let me refer to my post in discussion about this base building idea.

Please fill this in, as I would like to learn about how you, the base builder, see this implemented.

Thank you.

People, let me please explain something:
If this was any other game, then sure, I would be PRO base building.

HOWEVER: GZ is about an unknown faction that took control over the military mechanical defence platform in Sweden.
Through this take over of the system, they killed of the entire local military, and drove the survivors into evac.
The machines (are meant to (but horribly fail at)) hunt you down, to kill you, as you are an ugly meatbag (reference, let’s see who gets this one easter egg :stuck_out_tongue: ) in the way of whatever progress they aim for.
Do you agree on this?

If so, please do tell me: how would base building suit this game, and why would it be implemented seeing there are ‘hundreds’ of safe houses?