Please add "New Game"

I love the game, zero complaints. Well except one. New characters don’t have their own save progress? I want to enjoy the game solo and have it separate from the game I play with a friend. Would it be possible for you to add new save games for me to enjoy?!

12 Likes

They’re supposed to… It’s another bug that they use your other character’s progress, allegedly.

If your on Xbox, you can have a separate xbl profile / smurf account to do this.

Not ideal, but it’ll work as a way to do it short term

Hello TheBurger, I don’t know why you would give this answer, seeing as it’s completely false.
The savegames work as intended right now. Creating a new character only resets your XP and your inventory as of now. I’m trying to change that at the moment, but there are no plans of changing it from the Devs right now.

1 Like

I’m thinking about either doing that, or buying it again for PS4. Just wish I didn’t have to

The fact that you have zero complaints makes me curious considering the large number of game breaking bugs. However, in the bugs topic section you’ll find quite a bit of people warning others that when making another player it will glitch. What would be the point of resetting character stats and inventory(which didn’t happen for some players and kept both) just to continue off at the same point in the game? HOW are you supposed to level up if missions are completed? I myself have experienced this bug, and other players have noted in the bugs section that when you create a second character the map data may disappear for your main, inventory will remain intact, and story progress will carry over. If it works “as intended” then you must be the only person with a pristine functioning copy of GZ.

1 Like

I was talking about mission progress carrying over. That’s 100% intended. The only things you lose creating a new character is your level and your inventory

Map data disappearing is a bug and is not only triggered when creating new characters.

I would like this as well. This is very annoying the way it currently is. As far as “features” go, this is one that’s left me scratching my head and wondering why the hell this was “as intended”, as it makes absolutely no sense and is detrimental to the game. I can’t fathom how anyone would have thought this was a good idea.

I finished the game story and have what I suspect is the vast majority of safe houses unlocked. Other than searching for those few missing locations, there’s really nothing left for me to do in the game other than wander around and shoot random robots, so I wanted to start a new character / new game and start over from scratch knowing what I know now.

Well unfortunately, this strange design decision prevents me from doing that. I get a new character with no XP or inventory starting over from the start, but with no missions or objectives to play, making leveling up a new character far more difficult and making the game pointless to replay. Currently the only way to start over is to delete our saved games and start over from scratch. While that works for my immediate desire to start the game over, it messes me up for multiplayer.

I have a friend I play with coop on his game, and he’s pretty advanced (currently about 75% of the way to the end). When playing with him, I WANT to use my high level character, not a new character with no XP or weapons. But I don’t want my progress in his game “polluting” my single player experience. I don’t want to be leaving the starter island with an OP level 25 character with all the high end gear and safe houses all around the map already unlocked. I want to earn those

Currently, there’s only one way to do this on PC:

• disable Steam cloud sync
  • move my save game files out of the save game folder
  • create new game for when I play solo.
  • when I want to play coop with that friend again, I have to move the new save game files out of my folder and move the old ones back

This is actually ridiculous. There’s no reason I should have to go through this to play a new game. And that’s with the convenience of being on a PC. Console players have it even worse.

So PLEASE add the functionality to allow us to start new games with new characters without deleting our old game progress. This is how EVERY game in the history of video games that offered multiple save slots has ever worked. How could anyone think that changing that to the current system is a good idea?

4 Likes

New game with each character would be great. I play the game with many friends and we all have different progressions. I like to play solo sometimes but if I do it would progress the story and my friends would not be able to see what is going on.

2 Likes

I just wanted to know if it’s possible to start a new game after you start playing, because I don’t know if you delete all characters that it starts over from scratch (resetting quests as an example).

1 Like

No answer but, I would like to know that too.:grinning:

If you’re on PC you can disable Steam Cloud Synchronisation and then delete your “Avalanche Studios” folder in your Windows “Documents” folder. The game will create a new folder.

Oh, and you might want to backup your original first :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What about if you’re on console?

If the new consoles are anything like the previous generation, then you can maybe go into your storage options, in your PS4/XboxOne, back up your save, manually and then delete it? I don’t have a current gen console to try that, though, and Sony/Microsoft probably have their own cloud storage backups too, that might just re-download your old saves, anyway.

If you really don’t care about your current save then it’s worth experimenting, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

The devs did answer this question in the steam forums, all you need to do is delete your old character in the game by pressing Character then whatever button it says for delete :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info,but I don’t have a good pc to play any of the newer games, just can’t afford it.

If you’re playing on PS4 you can just go into storage then saves and delete the saved data thus resetting game progress and allowing you to select new game. If you want to play solo you don’t even have to delete your old save, just create a new user, login as that user and start a new game from there.

by steam forums it was jsut the forum teh typed about it on it will work for the game even if on ps4 or xbox.

It would be really awesome if seperate character’s could have the possibility to have their own missions. When I start a new character I would love to have the option to start a “New Game” because I play with friends but would also like to simultaneously progress through the game solo. As it stands now, if I do that I’m going to be surpassing my friends in the missions because it saves the exact same mission progression no matter what I do.

This is my least favorite feature at the moment. Let us reset the missions on a new character please, that would be so helpful not only for playing a solo campaign but how are we supposed to even start a new campaign? There seems to be no way to do this currently so it’s like, you do the missions and then you can’t do it all again if you wanted to?

2 Likes

Super frustrating. I cannot play single player as the missions from my co-op campaign all carry-over to a new character and I do not want to progress through the same missions without my friends :\

Would love to play this solo and be able to start a new game but it keeps starting me in the same exact spot on every new character, with all the same missions completed, just with an empty inventory. I can’t tell if it’s a bug or a feature but it’s insanely disappointing.

1 Like