Resistance Update Feedback

Discussion here: Updated game Trailer and ESRB/PEGI Recertification

I’m disappointed in the direction of the game. Does it really have to satisfy only fast twitch players? Recent updates seem to be driving me out into the open, first with vast tracks of devastated land then with too many closed buildings. In the past, closed houses meant newly opened businesses but Ostervick now only has a couple partly-opened single story houses and one business that wasn’t there before. I admit I’m not an accomplished player. I like fighting house to house. I despair of ever seeing any more new areas to explore - just more frenetic combat with weapons that have become strangely ineffective, especially when trying to get anything to explode near an enemy.

2 Likes

Base buildning feels more like a cheap tower defence minigame than an actual home or a base worth defending. The actual defence missions are immersion breaking for me. I kinda thought that you could build your base where ever you’d want and that you’d get notices about incoming attacks as you where out doing your thing. Not my cup of tea at all :frowning:

Also it does not seem practical or logical at all to have a large base out in the open when you’re waging a guerrilla war on an superior enemy with nearly endless supplies/forces and superior weapons. Super immersion breaking update imo.

3 Likes

Especially after we already got to know, that big base equals big target for artillery. Salthamn and Ringfort are examples. And then we got to build a new fort on top of a mountain. What makes 'em think that FNIX won’t build another artillery piece or just send tanks and hunters with long-range siege equipment (milk-tank and hunters with mortars and rifles).

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Regarding inaccessible houses in map revamps

Sad to see Basebuilding isn’t doing the trick, because I thought it could refresh the perspective on the game. This was very requested and you could really see it coming from a mile away, but hoped the turnout would be better.

Maybe if everyone’s finally on the same page that the direction of the game is a little confusing, we can go back to the roots of requesting and instead of >New stuff<, fix/upgrade/change >Existing stuff<

I’ve been asking for QoL and more depth towards simple actions for a while just to solidify the player and their actions in the world. Every little animation of the player for equipping a gas mask, every little animation for crafting an item, every little head nod and greeting by an NPC would do so much better for the general feel of the game.

Here are some older topics by me, if interested -

1 Like

So far the update has been great and very fun to play, but it does need some major balancing and tweeking:

1: the current hardest wave should be the easy wave of the base defence but with atleast double the hunters and tanks to be a real threat

2: normal wave and above should have atleast triple the robots compared to what game currently sends even if they come to your base at volleys of 5 every 7 seconds to not just instantly overwhelm

3: the current robots armor layer should be made more durable before breaking to justify the new experimental ammo without beefing the base health of the robots and to make AP ammo more useful

4: in pubs there is a minority of people griefing and destroying players bases with explosive ammo on the 9mm smg, invited players to hosts world shouldnt be allowed to build, deconstruct or damage the hosts buildings only repair

5: the normal waves should have a fnix only with a millitary and apoc minotiry spawns and hard should have a half and half apoc spawn wit fnix only and end the base deffence with 2 apoc tanks from the same direction to hit the front of the base

6: there should be titanium walls with extra durability to combat apoc class machines that take less from fire damage because they dont use wood

7: add a host only can skip the intermission wave, almost 2 minutes of waiting is very jarring and gets boring very quick, replacing walls after waves would be urgent after a difficulty increase but also replacing walls shouldnt take more than a minute max

1 Like

Moved to the feedback thread.

//Mod

1 Like

Solo PC Player here.

I’m frustrated with the mechanism for restarting the wave mode, and I’m not really clear on the benefits. I had to look up more info on how to do it. To my understanding, I need to run around and generate threat to (hopefully) trigger a random reset, and I haven’t been able to do that even once. As far as I know, there’s not a way to know if it has reset without going back to the camp and trying the radio again. (Even if I’m wrong about this, I still find the rest of the system frustrating.)

I’m just not at all motivated to do the work to reset this, especially since I haven’t really even been able to try out the system. I did one easy run to see what it was about before fully building a base, and now I have a base that is entirely useless unless I grind for who knows how long to activate it. Is there even any benefit to doing these raids? Is there a better chance of loot or something?

I guess I understand you wanting to keep a similar mechanism to your current endgame content, but the radio missions reset daily, so why not base raids? Right now I don’t really see any reward to grinding to reset a raid when I could be farming bosses in the (much more fun to traverse) Alpine Unrest area for better rewards.

1 Like

I agree with the motion that most of this stuff the “Base building” and “resistance” stuff would have made WAY more sense in Second Extinction rather then Generation Zero.

Hopefully they make a game after Second Extinction that’s more like what Generation Zero should have been.

@Ixhaton I don’t necessarily agree with you, but I can understand if you’re disappointed that the game’s not taken the direction you wanted.

@Badusername I’ve edited your post, please keep in mind the community guidelines, insulting the playerbase does not amount in anything good.

My main issue with the evolution of the world “Östertörn” is not what it’s evolving into, it’s the way it’s presented. Or, not presented to be more honest.

I played GZ from release, so I need to try and see things from an adapted perspective.

I don’t mind the destruction, but we have to be able to imagine that some of it has occurred after the cataclysm. So yeah, it takes a lot of imagination…

We can assume that in october of ‘89, the player was gone for at least a weekend. 2-3 days should be enough time for the amount of destruction we currently see to happen, if an all-out war breaks out and heavy, desperate fighting ensues. I wonder, how far away was the player really, since they didn’t even hear it happening?

As a new player proceeds onward from Yttervik, the signs of war and abandonment become more and more visible. Scattered, improvised barricades makes sense, but locked-down and boarded-up houses makes you really question the narrative that civilians were evacuated in a hurry. (Open houses, lights on, food on the tables.) Boarding windows and doors takes a lot of time, time they didn’t have.

The Resistance is the first major logical error, and you encounter it after just a few hours, upon leaving the Archipelago. That Resistance base (and the possibility to start FNIX Rising should NOT be there at this point in the game! This, along with all other signs of the Resistance and FNIX structures, should not appear at all before the player has completed Alpine Unrest. We need to be given a believeable span of time for this to take place.

Further onward, as I have pointed out before, the dead Soviet troops with no obvious explanation as to why they are there, are also a logical error. As the “vanilla” story comes to a conclusion, we are told that the USSR are “closely monitoring” the situation and have offered help. But sending in their troops to be killed and left behind tells a different story.

After completing Behind The Curtain, the screen goes to black, and the player finds themselves a safe distance away. At this point, if it was my game, I would have made a time jump to december ‘89, and only after this, you would now be able to start Alpine Unrest. Only now, after this time jump, a few Resistance structures and dead fighters would appear in scattered locations across the map.

Upon completing Alpine Unrest, I would implement another time jump, to late december ‘89. This could happen with the player supposedly being wounded defending the Hotel, and needing time to recover. Now, and not earlier, FNIX structures should have appeared in the South Coast, and the Resistance bases on and near Måsskär should have been built and been attacked. Now is the time you should be able to start FNIX Rising. Also, The Reaper shouldn’t appear until now.

Upon completing FNIX Rising, I would find another smart way to excuse a time jump. This time, up ‘till where we are right now, march ‘90. During this time jump, even more Resistance structures and set pieces would be put in place, along with the FNIX base on Tylöveden.

Could it not have been done somewhat like this? Would that not have been so much more believeable, and less confusing for new (and old) players? :thinking:

Another thing. We’re suddenly in 1990, and not just january but march! This means winter is for the most part over, or very soon over, depending on annual meteorological factors. As we eventually get more DLC for GZ, and I suppose we again move ahead in time, it does make me wonder if the map will one day be cleared of snow, and we’ll see spring come to Östertörn. Or will the devs be bold enough to move into april and even may, while keeping full winter foliage in place? :wink:

I have questions! Lots of them, but that’s enough for now…

This isn’t a complaint, BTW.
Still love the game. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I totally second the idea of time jumps although it would line up the DLCs and mission structure. But this would be fine with me. It would make the whole progress more believable.

I’m laughing at the ridiculous attempts to close up houses. Seriously, planks without nails (did the use PVA glue for that :joy:), palettes a char who can carry close to 100kg cannot move, simple cartons in front of a door. If the devs destroy the houses… fair enough but the actual implementation is immersion breaking for me.

You know the next time jump could be into October '90, letting spring and summer pass :grin:

3 Likes

That’s the smartest thing I’ve read today! :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s awesome idea for chronological narrative, but I’d like to leave “backdoor option” to prematurely lauch DLC content for those who don’t wanna bothered much with main quest. Like to meet certain condition to force-start DLC content and “back-door event” required a lot of effort to enable it.

Like 100% region (all missions, collectibles, fill map marks, challenges etc) AND pull some non-obvious “switch” to trigger “enabling quest”.
Example for FNIX Rising: - 100% South Coast and probably Farmlands (see above), there was “teaser generator” in SC before DLC launched (I don’t remember it’s coords, I’ll edit post when I stumble upon it again), “interact” with it (like destroy and you’ll be down) - it’ll start a short timer, around 2 minutes. Within that time all players must be at Salthamn Emergency Shelter(see how quest fails for defending Bjornturet hotel when not all players within area), there will be either door to clue or “radio/terminal”, that’ll trigger “timeskip” straight to FNIX Rising and activates “warzone scape for SC and Farmlands”. Voila and we prematurely triggered new content.

1 Like

I can’t help wondering if the person or people who produced the original game concept are still with the company. So many compromises without a fight seem odd to me. It’s not just the things I mentioned - it’s the ammo pickups from the machines (so no one needs to go looting); it’s the missions all marked on the map and showing up on the HUD, which makes missions almost irrelevant except as a point-gainer for XP and therefore levels. There’s not a problem to solve now - you just follow the HUD.

I wish we immersionalists had someone on our side in DEV-land…

2 Likes

Basebuilding is great fun. It just doesn’t make sense in this game, or at least in this way in this game. I wish they’d given an island to the Doom-screamers, and left the mainland alone for the development of the story.

2 Likes

I agree Time Jumping and the Spawning of Assets and Set pieces after certain points in the story makes way more sense then just throwing everything down all at once.

Also the Resistance Base in the Archipelago that is also the entrance to late game DLC makes no sense at all lol

I’d wager they blocked off the buildings there to limit the number of assets tracked in that area to help give them the ‘headroom’ to be able to include and track assets for base-building.

To be honest, I’d have rather the base-building was included as part of a paid DLC on the island to the north of Himfjäll than have them ruin an established area such as Östervik.

Introducing it as paid DLC would have allowed them to recoup some costs for all the dev time this must have taken and let them move time forward on the island as they did with Himfjäll. Building a new area all around this new feature to showcase it’s possibilities would make so much sense than retrofitting it into the forest region.

4 Likes

Signing under every word.
I’d pay for it anyways for benefits. Testing them on remote island is a better idead, but problem is that you need “Alpine Unrest” to reach that island or have certain “fast-traveler” with route specificly there.

1 Like