Russian troop topic

What do you think of the new Russians added.

Some of you think they are bad somt think arw good.
I think they came to help you and the resistance

Moved this to #general-discussion and added a spoiler tag.

//Mod

I like the idea
Appears to only be a single regiment (not sure thatā€™s the correct term) so maybe there are more out there alive.
Either way deployment has begun on swedish soil

they arent here to help us, they are here to steal robots, weapons, eqiumpent and one more thing, even if the machine invasion has happened ƶstertƶrn is still swedish soil so it is an invasion!

From a Swede

1 Like

I suppose Iā€™d better post as well.

Yeah, the Russians are definitely interested in whatā€™s going on in Sweden. If theyā€™ve come in force, theyā€™re here to stay. Wonder what they are after.

Yeah and i think that the swedish survivors arent so happy about the russians, in the cold war sweden was very anti communist and we only saw them and the warsaw pact as our enemies, and we saw nato (wich we arent part of) as our allies. So maybe when the recistance saw them and decied to show who is ruling over this land, Sweden. Because in boo i saw that on one side of the river there is russian FOB (forwoard operating base) and tents and dead soldiers, and on the other side there is dead recistance members and recistance style FOB:S. And bulletholes everywhere. And the recistance won, we see more dead russians than swedes, and after they possibly retreaded back to hideouts and bunkers before the manchines arrived,

1 Like

But thereā€™s also an area (Boo Bruck AG) where it looks to me like the russian soldiers and the resistamce fought together.

So who knows, maybe at first they tried to work together, and then diplomacy failed or something like that ?

I agree they they might work together.

And just one thing, one guy said to me: why do they have swedish vehicles and an theory to that is that the russians landed a force somewhere with no vehicles, then they maybe got old army trucks to ship all of their stuff to the locations where we see them now

Maybe Sweden is the new Afghanistan for Russia. It is the 80ā€™s after all.

What do you mean (iā€™m still getting uses to this.)

It makes sense to finally see Soviet presence.
Now there is something we should be asking ourselves.
So the weapons pack is American(U.S) not Sovietā€¦so when itĀ“s available are they going to put some outpost with dead U.S soldiersā€¦or only in the future?
That is the questionā€¦

Is it just me, or this this light green color new ?

Iā€™ve only seen it at the farm northwest of Boo, which seems to have been a big russian camp, so maybe those are suppossed to be russian trucks or a placeholder for them.

1 Like

They are here in force yes but is that force against fnix or the survivors? Thereā€™s evidence that the resistance and soviets fought side by side and face to face. I have 3 theories

1. a miscommunication began the battle of boo
    The resistance see the soviets and assume they were behind the invasion, they open fire and after a short battle the resistance and soviets make amends

2. A split in the resistaƱce or soviets
    One side of the soviet force takes to gathering intel and machine tech while others value human life more so
    Or the resistance splits into a pro soviet and anti soviet group

3. is that the resistance and soviets started off helping each other, but some event soured relations enough to put them against eachother

1 Like

Maybe the ā€œcultistsā€ attacked the Soviets, they are also located nearby.
And at boo church cemetery there are lighten candles and a book(the bible i guess), the same book that the cultists are always seen with.
That is one possible narrative, resistance and soviets working together but the cultists destabilize that relation, the soviets thinking the ā€œciviliansā€ are all the same, not paying attention to weirdoā€™s with strange talks and suicide ways.
One wrong move is all it takes to begin the distrust.

1 Like

No itĀ“s not just you, some trucks have a slight different green, Soviets i guess?
Altough being Soviet they should be white(snow camo) or brown and not greenā€¦but ok :sweat_smile: .

At first thought, It makes perfectly sense for the Russians to be present. Although, I donā€™t think they played any direct part in allowing the cataclysm to happen, and I donā€™t think they are staging a full scale invasion.

More likely, with all the tension in the world, the Russians have decided to gather first hand information on what is going on in Sweden. They have assumed that Ɩstertƶrn is empty of humans, and that they likely could get in and observe and collect technology unnoticed. In the worst case (being spotted), they might have planned to shoot any potential witnesses of their presence there.

As it turned out they came underprepared, and overwhelmed by the machines they bit the dust just like the Swedish army. In addition, they were spotted by the resistance who naturally had every reason to think the russians were launching an invasion under cover of the cataclysm. They fought back, and the russian troops were all killed. Speculations aside, it gradually becomes harder to make sense ofā€¦

Were they really thinking they would get in and out unnoticed, no doubt whatsoever?
Have they completely disregarded any consequences their actions might have?
No matter what their intentions were, it was a really bad planā€¦

The Soviet Union, or Russia, has now in fact and by definition invaded Sweden! Although small scale, this is no small thing! What if neutral Sweden made a treaty with NATO to get help dealing with FNIX, and a huge joint operation was launched into Ɩstertƶrn? Realistically, they would eventually defeat the machines, and encounter the russian troops, dead or alive. What then?

I donā€™t know the answer. While the russians are a cool addition to the game, it is a very slippery slope lore-wise, and Iā€™m curious to see if any future content will justify and make sense of the russian presence. This is way too heavy to simply use as trivial set pieces. :slight_smile:

So they did gather information with their spies within the ranks, which is where I can agree with everyone that Sweden might not be liking Soviet spies and there is that setting of Tension. The thing is that Why theyā€™re appearing is justified with one of the conflicting actions that the Soviets did in the main storyā€¦ They communicated and gave the device. Sure, it was betrayal as it was explosive, but from Day 1 of trying to establish communications, theyā€™ve not stopped keeping channels occupied to finally get in contact. They were distant observers with fleets, so you could guess that the ships arenā€™t equipped with tents, fortifications and generally ground equipment for military inhabiting.

Why itā€™s still conflicting to this day for me is - The Soviets mentioned theyā€™re assisting With NATO, so itā€™s already intelligence gathering from multiple partiesā€¦ Which means the Soviets would shoot themselves in the foot if they wanted to invade now. They HAVE to be there for assistance, but you canā€™t just justify again, because I did mention itā€™s a bit conflictingā€¦ The spies, the intelligence they gathered from Swedish military, the bomb and also that one incident with a Swedish Officer leaving his journal of hopes to start a resistance with another operative that seemingly shot and left the officer dead. That murder was close, single shot in the back of the head, so by someone trustedā€¦ Likely the person that shot him did not care for Swedish resistance, because they werenā€™t really doing this for the interest of Sweden. Soā€¦ possibly a Soviet spy that murdered an officer and retreated to some extraction point.

Right now it could be that Soviet operatives are involved >possibly< in this operation ā€˜Yellow reindeerā€™ and acting as assistance. They could be covering up their tracks of espionage in that area and now externally offering assistance in operations.

2 Likes

I support the theory about Soviets invading amidst chaos, since historically this was their MO - stir up trouble, then make themselves present and hard to bail out when no one looks/ too busy to deal with.

So my Train-Thought
Car 1:
SU High Command (SUHC) demanded this vanguard troops to establish on Ostertorn (why in the middle of main island - been airlifted and farmlands were clear enough?). Wings on insignia hits to air-related forces, gear is usually associated with engineer corp (similar to RL ā€œOld Ironsidesā€ of US Army). So we saw combat engineers company of Airborne-Assault Brigade (ā€œŠ˜Š½Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠµŃ€Š½Š°Ń рŠ¾Ń‚Š°, Š”ŠµŃŠ°Š½Ń‚Š½Š¾-штурŠ¼Š¾Š²Š¾Š¹ Š±Š°Ń‚Š°Š»ŃŒŠ¹Š¾Š½ā€). Local resistance, as pointed out, had all the reasons to think about Cataclysm as Soviet Invasion. But when witnessed that Soviets and Machines were actively fighting, some Resistance joined remaining Soviet soldiers to fight the Metal Menace.

Car 2: This one needs elaboration on the time line, specifically if Soviets established before or after ā€œFNIX Risingā€ events.
2.1 - after FR
With FNIXā€™s control over communications over Ostertorn and itā€™s (commā€™s) brownout it so thereā€™s total silence, SUHC and long-range reconnaissance concluded that FNIX no longer serious threat (after cannon been dealt with). SUHC tasked itā€™s invasion/relief forces to occupy certain regions and gain access to whatever sensitive information they could reach. First wave could touch ground successfully, without being retaliated immediately, but commotions been observed for sure. FNIX, being military AI, gathered big enough task force to efficiently sweep established camp at certain northern Farmlands farm. Like, gassing them out and/or calling in some nasty FNIX/Apoc units.
2.2: before FR.
SUHC tasked to occupy land and gain control over military facilities over Ostertorn, sent forces amidst the chaos to establish and prepare the bridgehead for main invasion forces. They interfered with local Sweddish Army. Latter had to fight at two fronts and failed. Due to comm brown out from FNIX this fact been undiscovered and Soviets didnā€™t get any political consequences (about attacking SwA). But FNIX, being Sweddish military AI, considered Soviets as invaders and actively opposed them. With lack of proper intelligence, vanguard company didnā€™t stand a chance in the long run. FNIX since then made sure that no one and nothing will fly over Ostertorn. Well, it had means (yet to be seen) to shoot down Elsa above Himfjall. I blame upscaled precision railgun (as seen on certain tanks). In the end, FNIX constructed the cannon, but SU forces perished before they could ā€œtasteā€ it.

Car 3:
Soviet forces are sanctioned to establish on the Ostertorn. But with comm failure, local resistance didnā€™t know about that and considered them as invasion forces. SUHC demanded occupation, but lacking intelligence proved this task impossible. Deployed commanders decided ā€œscrew missionā€ and joined any willing resistance forces (army remnants included) to just survive now, face insubordination later. That would explain why SU soldiers has sweddish stuff in possession.

Car 4: Since itā€™s declared that this is joint SU/NATO operation, US/NATO military forces are being deployed at the other region; SUHC was way too eager to jump on the gun and get there first (remember Berlin assault '45? Everyone sane said ā€œsiege is the way and germans will surrender for sureā€, but Stalin wanted to get Berlin due to the certain date and sacrificed a lot of cannon fodder for that to happen), so SU vanguard was underprepared due to similar reasoning;

2 Likes

You both bring up very good points.
Though I know that the Soviets aided in the final mission of vanilla GZ, Iā€™ll admit that I hadnā€™t considered the possibilty of a joint Sweden/NATO/Soviet military operation. Iā€™m not very good at deep diving into the lore of any game, while others eagerly read every book in Skyrimā€¦ :rofl:

I just think that in a cold war scenario, some extremely clear and careful boundaries would have to be set in advance, before allowing a second and a third party to enter a neutral country with military force. If one party (SU) took liberties beyond what was agreed upon, I can imagine things escalating in a way it wasnā€™t supposed to. And with any survivor left on Ɩstertƶrn being unaware of these operations, misunderstandings could easily occur. Glasnost would be key hereā€¦ It probably could have worked out, though. The ideological ā€œwarā€ between the west and the SU was coming to an end at this time. I also highly doubt that Stalinā€™s tragic cannon fodder tactics were still alive in '89, and especially not in an operation like this. It will be exciting to find out what the SU vanguard was up to, though. :slight_smile: