Sound / audio get lost / disappear over time (footsteps, reload, etc)

I seem to have this same “no sound” issue. Except that the footsteps and reload are there with me, the only exception is that item pickup, container, tabbing, menu, as well as combat, EXP, and mission jingles are not there for me. It still hasn’t been fixed for a year?

I’m playing on PC.

Also, I think I recall hearing this weird sharply faint “beep.” After that…most of the essential common sounds have disappeared. Heard the beep when I opened the map, about frequently.

A theory I’d like to add: Do you think the sound disappears whenever it repeatedly keeps playing over and over again? After all, this keeps occurring to me as I keep looting for scraps around towns and robo corpses.

I found another possibility why looting sounds keep disappearing and this could be a definite one.

It could possibly be the fast traveling that’s causing this sound disappearance bug.

NOV 14 4:08 PM UPDATE: Some more news: Looks like the missing sound bug appears instantly if you continue the game last saved at a bunker. But at other locations, seems like all the sound will be there until you start to fast travel somewhere else…

Along with above being another solid proof of the sound bug, I’m still working on figuring out if there’s a way to reproduce bugged sounds via fast travel and I think I might be getting somewhere with the fast traveling being another issue. Stand by.

(PS: Only noticed it once at the Marshlands Bunker. Not sure with the others atm.)

NOV 15, 6:19 PM UPDATE: Attention: I believe I may found a way to reproduce the missing sound bug.

I continued the game and spawned at the Farmhouse in the East Marshlands. I was doing “The Old Guard” main mission and I entered the small bunker. After I left the small bunker and started looting its nearby locked military storage, I immediately noticed that my ammo and item pick-up noises have already disappeared, along with tabbing and map noises. Come to think about it, I never heard any “Mission Complete” jingle after I immediately completed “The Old Guard” main mission while inside the bunker.

I believe it’s not just the “fast-travel-to-bunkers”, but it’s the bunker-type interiors that’s the cause of the missing sound bug. Whether you enter any bunker via fast travel or by foot, mains or random bunkers, you’ll undoubtedly never realize the sound may be missing because you’re entering one of the most prominent settings in Generation Zero.

Let me see if I can do a whole game session without entering any bunkers, to see if this is truly the cause of this missing sound bug. Once my theory is correct, I need to get this word out to the devs right away.

2 Likes

Are you gaming on PC?

11/16/2021, 1:41 AM UPDATE: Oh great, I think I spoke too soon. Turns out that extended period is a probable cause too. Except that, I left my screen on the storage box screen for around 10-20 minutes as I went to get some midnight eats. By the time that happened, I spotted a Prototype Tank with its stomping sounds gone. (dunno about its ‘groans’)

I was northwest in the (real) Marshlands when this occurred. I never went to a bunker and all of my sounds were in tact (following my theory), until now.

Yes, I’m on PC.

Since you do not name any of the places by their name, it’s hard to retrace your steps. Could that Farmhouse perhaps be “Aspenäs” and the small bunker “Bergrum Myskoxen” west of Aspenäs?
I’m trying to see if the sound will disappear if I walk that route without doing a mission, and on a different PC.

11/16/2021, 5:51 AM UPDATE: Sigh… This is getting complicated. Now it seems it’s not only ‘bunkers’, but I gotten the missing sound bug when I arrived at the Hemmanskogen Logging Camp about east of the artillery base in the Marshlands. When I started to notice that, I reset the game and spawned at the logging safehouse, but the missing sound bug is still there.

If I can remember, I reset the game and spawned at the Northwest Marshland shack safehouse as soon as I realized my sounds and Prototype Tank stomp sounds are missing after that extended storage box menu. I tried to enter from the northside of the artillery base to do the “Line of Fire” mission; at about halfway, I took a detour Southeast, where I encountered a “logging camp” and unlocked a safehouse. After that…that’s pretty much it. The sound bug appeared after I opened the map and that’s all I could remember at that point.

I’m beginning to believe that this is “location specific.” So now I believe two things that may cause this bug: Any “bunker” locations, and that Hemmanskogen Logging Camp safehouse. I’m still going to try and avoid as much any similar bunker locations as possible to see if the sound bug will appear, but knowing that this could happen any time at specific locations that triggers the missing sound bug, well that’s up to me to find that out myself.

So, including my bunker hypothesis, here’s a list of possible locations so far that triggers the sound bug:

• Hemmanskogen Logging Camp - Marshlands
  • Bergrum “Myskoxen” - Marshlands
  • Skavadern Command Bunker - Marshlands
  • Asotungan Outpost - South border between Archipelago and Farmlands << I stopped my game there. If I resume, I’ll leave or erase this if the sound bug triggers or not. >>

Alright, let me see if I can remember after I spawned in and list what steps I did…

1. Spawned at the Aspenäs Safehouse
  2. Went to the Relay Beacon northwest of the Farmhouse to destroy it, alongside its mooks.
  3. Took a little north just about entering the forest (the green “treelines” on the map)
  4. At this point, I can only guess I went around to point [-1012, -3750] while in the forest.
  5. Headed straight towards “The Old Guard” location (Bergrum “Myskoxen”) to begin the mission.
  6. Destroyed two mooks guarding the entrance.
  7. Opened the door, snuck in undetected, and threw a grenade, destroying everything in it (and took a lot of damage at the doorway just as I was about to get away from the blast).
  8. After completing the last objective, I headed towards its nearby military storage and picked its lock to loot everything inside it.
  9. At that point, I realized the ammo/item pickup noises are already gone. Went to my inventory menu and switch tabs to verify if its tabbing sounds are missing and it is.

(PS: There’s no way for me to get the specific names as I am writing these and playing the game at the same time, without pressing the windows key just to switch out frequently.)

11/16/2021, 3:22 PM UPDATE: Here’s my latest session, I just encountered the no sound bug again and only shown the important bits

• Starting from the Asotungan Outpost, I fast traveled to Boo Bruk AB in the Farmlands to travel east on a bike to reach the “Total Defense” mission. I passed by the Soken Command Bunker, only on the south road.
  • Then I started to notice that my battle results jingle has gone missing. It must be because I was near the area surrounding the Sorken Command Bunker. And I didn’t even entered the bunker.
  • Restarted the game and spawned in the Anl 144 safehouse upon realizing sounds became missing. Unfortunately, it seems the battle results and rival update jingles are still missing.
  • Nonetheless, I headed bit east to begin the Total Defense side mission at Ostra Mark (unmarked on the map for some reason); destroyed packs of Proto and FNIX Runners and two Mil Hunters with a Shotgun and N9 Handgun
  • So far, I only noticed that the Mission Complete and Rival update notification jingles have disappeared. The ammo pick up and menu tabbing sounds are still there (but stayed there for so long that I don’t know how long it took for them to diaappear), and map scrolling sounds have disappeared also. I noticed that the former sounds are still there, but feeling as if they’re now sporadic
  • Made my way down south to the nearby villa (unmarked), then headed west to Broskulla to search for the items of interest.
  • Headed back to the villa to confirm why it’s unmarked and encountered a pack of Runners, plus a proto harvester nearby in the entire noisy fight. Used Meusser Hunting Rifle and N9 Handgun against runners and the N60 against the Harvester after stunning it.
  • Not willing to push this any further, I quit the game at the Broskulla Safehouse and restarted the game.
  • About most of the repetitive sounds, such as the ammo/item pick up, battle jingles, and menu sounds were still there. The rival update and map scrolling/zooming were missing.

I retraced your steps as close as possible, but did not get any loss of sound that I noticed at least. The only thing that was curious, was when I tried to enter Bergrum Myskoxen there was an explosion the minute I opened the door. I did not expected that, since I have all mission and side-mission done. And I had to fight of a lot of runners.

Good effort though on your part, trying to pinpoint the variables that trigger the sound bug.

Do you mean that the name Ostra mark was not shown when you mouse-over the farm on the map?

I think the loss of sound is usually totally random. I once started on the Överby Lufthavn to hunt some machines and within 15 minutes of the run a hunter jumped me without a sound.

Just today I started in Stora Dyrbo, went to Lilla Dyrbo where a radio antenna is located. Of course one of the runners jumped me without a sound. This took maybe 5 minutes.

And then there are play sessions where the game doesn’t drop a sound for an hour. It really is hard to replicate and rarely a certain location can be linked to it imho.

2 Likes

I agree that it is probably some other variable then just location. Maybe many different sound files being played at the same moment, messes things up.

Does it also occur when you are not engaging into a battle. Since it seems that my play style (stealthy and solo) does not produce this bug. I do kil machines when it can’t be avoided or when I need to for a challenge, but not in prolonged battles, where many sounds mix.

This is quite tricky since most of the sounds are battle-related. But I’m pretty sure it happens when just playing the game without battles. But as you have noted, this happens then more rarely.

i lose sound all the time also still
On pc

Random question: Do I need to update some kind of “sound driver” or something on my computer to resolve this weird sound bug?

In my opinion this is a game bug. I have had never any loss of sound in any game and still haven’t. And since this bug is persistent over a long period of time with multiple system and driver updates and no significant change (worse or better) to the amount or frequency of lost sounds (at least to me), I’d say it is system- and driver-agnostic.

Next session: The “In the Face of Adversity” was wild. Took me three tries to complete it, and died just I was about to claim the loot. I don’t want to bother wasting another A-Shot after all that madness, so I just respawned at the Saltholm Church just south and shot my way through in frustration.

Then, I noticed that my map and menu tabbing sounds have disappeared while on my way to the container. Then after that, my mission complete and rival update jingles have disappeared as well. So that’s the Saltholm Church of the Archipelago region, another location possibly causing the sound disappearance bug.

11/17/2021 11:48 PM UPDATE: Regardless, I kept playing. Decided to travel to the South Coast region to blow up FNIX bots for an assignment near the Hallabacken High Security Prison. Destroyed a rival Harvester and then later, a horde spawned in at the prison as everything went crazy. Plus a sudden FPS dip rocketing with surplus Recoiless Rifle ammo.

And then finally, the sound finally disappeared. In another test, I’ll check if Hallabacken and its surrounding areas is possibly another location causing the sound disappearance bug.

PS 4. Hello everyone. I want to report about the sounds of the red balloon. When you put the red balloon on the ground, you pick it up, there is no sound. When the red balloon is installed on the ground and you push it with your foot and it starts rolling, there is a sound and the sound of the explosion of the red balloon is also there. There’s nothing wrong with the white and yellow cylinders. I think that the sounds in the game are important, so I’m reporting it.

11/19/2021, 11:06 PM UPDATE: Lerberget is a hit. The sound disappeared as I was in the town. That makes seven locations that causes the sound disappearance bug.

Come to think of it, there is this unknown invisible “whirring” sound in town at point [2398.958, -1521.154]. Might be related to the sound disappearance bug…

11/20/2021, 9:25 PM UPDATE: Another bunker hit. It’s the Hermelinen Bunker. That’s eight locations now.

My no-bunker theory is working here. It’s possible that the command bunkers are undoubtedly the cause. I’ll check other command bunkers I haven’t been to verify this theory further.

Curiously, it seems like the SFX disappearance bug doesn’t appear unless I turn on the generator.

I regularly loose a lot of sounds in the bunker Vesslan. But it’s also fight dependent. The more fights I have the less sounds I have.