Sound / audio get lost / disappear over time (footsteps, reload, etc)

11/21/2021, 2:15 AM UPDATE Possibly another hit. Was venturing towards south of Hagaboda to the Alby Church safehouse, encountered a Relay Beacon squad and took out Runners and a Tank. And then there it was: The sounds are now missing.

Or maybe that’s because it’s kinda near the Hermelinen Bunker, just like it kinda occured when I passed the roadway outside south of the Soken Command Bunker. Either way, that’s about nine locations that causes the sound disappearance bug.

11/22/2021, 6:06 AM UPDATE Two hits. The underground facility in the Mountain Region’s Military Compound triggers sound bug. But only when inside. Likely because it’s also a bunker like the command ones. Not sure for outside, though.

The second is Boo Bruk AB. I fast traveled to its safehouse and all those essential sounds disappeared in a flash.

Now that’s like eleven locations, triggering the sound bug. Probably should make a list by now.

I’m not sure what kind of specific action what causes this no-sound bug. When I happened to arrive at these places that causes this glitch, all my sounds have started to disappear one-by-one as I linger near or in these suspected areas.

My guess is that it might be some specific ambient sound source, especially that unknown whirring generation sound source I aforementioned in Lerberget, Forest region.

my guess to why this happens is CPU bottleneck or RAM management. Or could be the game that is bugged.

If that’s the case…then I’ll see if I can close a few browser tabs and see if freeing up some RAM might do the trick…

Maybe, but if it’s a game bug then nothing can really be done about it untill they fix it.

I’m not sure it is the game, I have only had loss of sound a couple of times in my +550 hours in this game. Might be something that breaks when something get overloaded/fails to load?

Nope, the RAM theory didn’t work. I just recently shut down my computer before going to sleep to put my browser in standby. The sound disappearance was still there when I hanged around the Military Compound in the Mountains Region.

I think I should make a list of all the bug-trigger locations I’ve discovered at this point.

2 Likes

In no other game I ever had any loss of sound, so it’s connected to the game. But I think it has also something to do with the used system. What exactly it is on my end I don’t know. OS and drivers are up to date and at no time playing the game RAM, CPU and/or GPU get on their limits. It even happens when I shut down all other programs and when I start the computer fresh and play directly.

I too think there is a functional flaw which results in sounds getting lost. But in a game where machines who are “trapped” in a building like Småbåtshamnen are teleported behind you when you approach the building, everything is possible :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I misspoke, it is the games fault yes, but I think it has to do with your own hardware. Sure maybe a location in world could help to trigger it but I think that something is being overloaded when entering those locations, some hardware fails to fire and then sound disappear and won’t come back due to bugs.

1 Like

ingame bug or CPU bottleneck, i guess

I recent spent several hours in the Archipelago working towards the Farmlands regions of the game. I spawned into my game at the Vesslan command bunker and noticed I had wonky results with ‘sound events’. I fast traveled out of there to the Ibolhomen church. Upon spawning back in, most of the game sounds were restored.

As I played, I noticed certain sounds that were repeated often (the sound when you loot a box, or a dead robot) would come and go. Sometimes they were there for 20 minutes, then they wouldn’t be. Reloads and footsteps were always there, so I kept playing. Those are the important sounds for my experience. Then I took a break.

Later that day, I spawned back into my game at the Saltholmen church and all game sounds were working. To test the idea that it could be location specific, I made sure as I stomped around the archipelago that I never wandered too close to Vesslan. The game never had a sound issue during this session.

To lend a potential that it is location specific - the command bunkers are a good example…I’m thinking out loud that some locations in the game have an ambient sound that is there when you are close enough. Most of the bunker-type locations have a ‘generator hum’ sound when you are inside them. I wonder if it is this ambient sound event that is somehow clobbering other sound effects in the game, and it resolves when you are spawned in somewhere where that kind of event isn’t part of the location you are in. I don’t think it is 100% reproducible in the form of steps, but that’s the closest pattern I was able to discern.

Nothing exactly new learned from all of Tac’s observations, but I sort of treated what I was doing as a control by avoiding locations that could cause the bug as opposed to finding those locations.

In the patch notes it was stated that: “Fixed an issue with SMOD where no reload or footstep sounds were heard in first person”
…but today, after barely 25min of gameplay I couldn’t hear any footstep or reloading sounds.
I was playing solo, 90% just walking around, no fast travel.

2 Likes

This bug looks like it’s hard to squash. It’s so weird though, sometimes one can play for hours without sound issues, sometimes I swear it happens 5 minutes into gameplay.

So I had a quick play for about one and a quarter hour. The reload sounds seem to be stable which is very appreciated :slight_smile:

On the other hand it seems sounds still get lost or even don’t appear at all. For some reasons it seems to be even worse with the Landfall update. In addition the char makes some odd rattling sounds now and then in very unregular gaps inbetween.

I made a quick compilation of all sound issues over this play session:

1 Like

Can anyone confirm this?
@knobitobi, if you’re on PC, did you try verifying your Steam files?

I’m on PC and I verified them. The verification process didn’t find damaged files. Win10 is up to date.

1 Like

Ich kann diese Fehler bestätigen. !!!

Hallo ich habe Generation Zero® - Complete Collection im Ca. Juli 2021 bei Steam gekauft .
Ich habe damals ca. 60 Stunden gespielt und dann wegen den Soundbugs aufgehört und deinstalliert.

Ich habe einen Mittelklasse PC mit Windows 11, ich habe nach dem neuen Update ( The Landfall Update ) General Zero NEU über Steam Installiert. Meine Nvidia und System Treiber sind aktuell.
Ich habe sonst mit keinem andern Spiel irgendwelche Probleme selbst Early Access laufen einwandfrei.

Ich find es echt schade dass man es nicht hinbekommt solche Fehler zu fixen, es wird einem den ganzen Spielspaß genommen.!!!

Google ;

I can confirm these errors. !!!

Hello, I bought Generation Zero® - Complete Collection on Steam around July 2021.
At that time I played about 60 hours and then stopped and uninstalled because of the sound bugs.

I have a mid-range PC with Windows 11, after the new update (The Landfall Update) I installed General Zero NEW via Steam. My Nvidia and system drivers are up to date.
I don’t have any other problems with any other game, even early access runs perfectly.

I think it’s really a shame that you can’t manage to fix such errors, it takes all the fun out of the game.!!!

PS:I also started a whole new game (charekter) with the update!

3 Likes

@WarMonger, this is an english speaking community. Please translate your post.

//Mod

Ich kann kein Englisch und das war mein Erster und letzter Beitrag hier sorry.

Google;I can’t speak english and that was my first and last post here sorry.

2 Likes

Using a translator is fine, thanks :+1: