Unique cuisines around the world

She could have been Scottish and served you Haggis :wink:

2 Likes

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Diffrent Beverage/Drink Cultures from around the World

I was at the local viking market. Was pretty fun to watch them prepare pig on a skewer over open fire pit. They also prepared some haggish :grin:

The smell when you open the can is literally mind-blowing.
Once you have overcome the smell, the fish tastes very salty and somehow the taste is reminiscent of an old Camenbert. If you eat it with sour cream, it softens the taste a little and if you tip an aquavit afterwards then it works. :grinning: It tastes even better after half a bottle of Aquavit. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread I tasted Haggis in Scotland. Believe me, it is really good when prepared with scotch whisky. But the dish is the ultimate humiliation of the poor sheep. You slaughter it, take out its heart, lungs, and liver, mince it all together, put it back in its own stomach and cook it. That is cruel!

Well, presented soups in my post are considered staple everyday food. Just need a three hours long time to stand in kitchen and one pot can feed you for a couple days.

Oh, come oooon. There’s “bacon in chocolate” you have there.
We do have “Chocolate salo”. Started as cultural joke, but some people took the challenge. Currently served as specialty food/confectionary by some restaurants in small quantities .

I’ve came up with one stew and currently can’t stick it a name. Working title “thick stew”. Or “Forest crocpot”, because latter one saved our camping once.
Recipe: Ingredients for 2L cauldron - beef ~300g, mushrooms (tested with Field a.k.a. Meadow mushrooms) ~200~300g, potato (one fist), beans (my choice is 0.5L supermarket glass can, in tomato paste or else I have to pre-cook beans), tomato (1-1.5 fist), onion (around 1 big), bell pepper (2-3), 1 boullion (stock) cube, soy sauce, some tasty grass, some tasty powders and other condiments. Optional: tested with beetroot, cabbage.
Utencils: cauldron or pot that can withstand prolonged stewing process (I have old yet gold alluminium alloy one). Tasting spoon, stirring spoon/spatula. Optional: skillet.
Optimized for 2L cauldron, but may be proportionally expanded.
Onions, tomato and bell pepper are sliced and diced into small fractions and thown into pot to fill 1/3 to 3/7 of volume and heated. In the meantime…
…with skillet: meat (tested with beef) diced or “potato fries” size sliced and mushroom with a bit larger cuts dumped on skillet with few drops of oil. Fry while stirring until beef start change color from red to grayish and when mushrooms squeezed it’s “soup” to flood skillet. Then throw contents into cauldron. By the time vegetables there should start “melting”. Total content volume should fill no less than half. This is about time to throw in the cube.
…without skillet: same meat and 'shrooms are just dropped into heated vegetables. This way it will take much longer time, because meat and 'shrooms wasn’t precooked.
Put lid on and now we start slicing potato (mandatory) and other options if present (“2nd round”). (or you may opt to cut stuff beforehand and just wait for right moment). Should take around 20 min on medium-slow heating and totally melt away initial vegetables into juice and 'shrooms should shrink to their “cooked” size.
About that time throw in “2nd Round” into cauldron. Total volume may exceed 3/4 of pot. Close it. Wait until potato is softened and is about to crumble, don’t forget occasional stirring.
Then the “3rd round” is starting from tasting for salt, then adding beans (just dump can contents into cauldron) - it’s brining may add some saltiness. Stir it wholly. Then taste for salt again - now is the final opportunity to fix the taste - add some tasty grass and powders to your liking. If still not enough saltiness - add a spoonful of soy sauce. Close the lid for about ten minutes, until most of the stew have more homohenous texture after adding beans and condiments.
Blow the fire, let it “ripen” for about 10-15 minutes - stew will absorb condiments fully after hours, serving it right from stove may appear either “too bland” or “too spiced”, depending on what you added.

Stuff’s filling and even fattening. I’ve gained 5+kg just because I’ve been feeding on this 2L cauldron alone for about three days.

2 Likes

yummy, just yummy. I think Gordon Ramsey would enjoy talking about some of this food with you guys

I just feel that my food is much more boring then yours

One food that I enjoy is älg kalops (Swedish beef stew made out of moose) that my mother makes. Eats with cooked potatoes. (Both my parents hunts)

3 Likes

That looks really tasty. Yummy :yum:

1 Like

Good looking one.
Oh, right, carrots! Next time I’ll try to add carrots!

Another food that is from the Southern parts of Sweden (with different recipes, but essentially the same) is kroppkakor (literally translated to body cake). They look very similar to the German dish Knödel mit Soße (dumplings with sauce).

Dough balls (tennis ball sized) baked with pork and onions or other stuffing.
Some have different types of potatoes in the dough.
They are served with shredded melted butter and lingonberries.

3 Likes

That looks and sounds yummy :yum::grinning::+1:

Could you tell me a bit more about that? The picture looks intriguing.

Well that triggered me. I suppose you mean assorted cut green herbs like “parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme” :wink:

Thanks for the recipe. I love soup as well and do it frequently in the autumn. The trick is to give it time. Let it slow cook for a few hours.

Seriously? Then I’ll have to try it someday. Speaking about Christmas, a typical December dish in Denmark (well all of Scandinavia I guess) is rice porridge:

I sure everybody knows it, as it is Santa Claus’ favourite dish. Cook porridge rice (not ordinary Jasmin or Basmati rice!!!) in milk and add a tiny bit salt. Serve with butter and sugar and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. This is served with Nisseøl (Pixie bier) that is an (almost) non-alcoholic bier. Terribly sweet, but kids love it:

Yes, that’s what I mean’t with least words possible. Dried included.
It’s too thick to call it “soup”, hence “stew”.

About “confectionary”: I didn’t taste it myseslf (famous for it restaurant is on the other side of country), I’ve heard it’s trick is combining saltines from curing or using lard, then covering it with “high-proof” dark chocolate, that is more bitter than sweet. I guess it is something similar to Teriyaki sause on fatty meat.

1 Like

Had two Tuna-melts Toasties with extra cheese today for lunch.

Portuguese Stew

I don´t like it very much, but most locals and foreigners love it.

I prefer the (shown below) Portuguese Beef Stew, tastes better and has less fat.
There are 2 main different versions.
(Beef stew meat is either from Cow or Lamb)

"Jardineira" Type 1

On the Oven "Carne Assada" Type 2

2 Likes

When I think about Portugal the particular and unmistakable smell of charcoal grilled octopus always springs to mind. And then Pastel de Nata at a café. Delicious.

1 Like

There´s so much to talk about food, but it would not be ethical to spam this thread only with food from my Country :sweat_smile: