Weight adjustments of weapons and other stuff

So I found the sledgehammer the other day and wondered why it was just weighing 2kg. So it appears to be a very light version of hammer. A carpenter’s hammer is around 2kg. Then I wondered why is the sledgehammer so extremely slow.

Now I am wondering why every weapon is 2kg exactly. Why implement a weight based system when most of the things have just an obscure weight. I don’t need to have a gram-corrected weight of the weapons but it should be in the ballpark of the real weight.
For example the Meusser which is based on one of the Mauser rifles weighs around 4kg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_Model_1893#Description).
The PVG weighs around 13-16kg in real life (https://www.soldf.com/vapen/automatgevar-90-ag90/).
The Klaucke which is based on the Glock 17 weighs only .5-.8 kg (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock-Pistole).

So I wonder will there ever be a correct weight system based on real life objects which would satisfy the weight based inventory much more.

A remnant from the old grid based system where every weapon was 2 slot item. Conversion was made almost 1:1 where in new list based system every weapon weighs 2kg.

I, personally, don’t mind it. Gives game more realistic feel.

But i’m also seeing hoarders coming and complaining since with it, their “precious” storage space gets reduced considerably. (Because most weapons weigh more than 2kg.) Unless devs, yet again, increase storage capacity, which at that point is beyond ridiculous.

I don’t understand the hoarders anyway. What sense does it make to collect EVERYTHING. Limitations are usually there for a reason. And not being able to carry everything around like a speed gonzales mule seems ridiculous.
While storing/placing things in the world for later might sound reasonable having the stored things EVERYWHERE in the world almost at an arms length is a reasonable compromise on the limited store inside the plundra.

The other game I play is The Long Dark where you have an even more limited carrying amount and if you’re over the amount you can carry you walk slower and slower the heavier the “pack” gets.
In addition you can “store” things by putting them in various containers around the world or you just put them anywhere.
While the items are kept over multiple gaming sessions you don’t have them available at certain hot spots/safehouses.
If you want to pick up ammo you placed at one spot you have to walk to that place. There is even no fast travel option available.

By that comparison I find the max capacity of the plundra and recycling station understandable and makes you think what you really need and what is just “nice to have”.

I don’t mind the unrealistic wieghts of things. You have a storage space, it has a certain limit, simple as that.
I’m a carpenter, and the most common weight of a hammer is 16 oz (454 grams). I prefer a 20 oz hammer (567 grams).
A sledgehammer usually has a head weighing 3 or 4 kg, some weigh 5 kg + the weight of the shaft.
I’m also a shooter/hunter, and the «Meusser» is not based on a Mauser rifle at all, especially not the famous M/98. It’s not even closely similar. But most bolt action rifles weigh between 3 and 4 kg. A riflescope from 300 to 800 grams, a silencer 300 to 500 grams. And lots of people don’t know how heavy ammunition really is, hehe! :blush:

2 Likes

Was about to make a thread about this, too. Maybe the realistic weights wouldn’t make sense balancing-wise, but bringing them into proportion would be adequate. E.g. Pistols ranging from 0.5 K - 0.9, SMGs 2kg, ARs 3-5 etc. Minimally adjusting base storage and inventory max weight to compensate would simply not make it feel so weird.

This should also be done for other items, though. Small, medium, large fuel cells fo example should weigh 0.2, 0.5 and 1 kilos respectively, Radios should weigh less and gas tanks more, to make acquiring fuel cells via the mechanic perk more attractive.

Large fuel cell 1 kg… You’re joking, right?

Have you ever seen how big it is? I’d say minimum of 20 kg for it, if not more.

Large fuel cell vs car, size comparison

Actually when you compare it to something like a propane tank you get a better figure on its weight and size, more like 10-12kg.
But on this note of accurate weight limits, i personally feel adding this to the base game would disrupt a ton of players, but would fit really well into a “survival” mode, killing two birds with one stone on a large majorities request for more realistic features, and survival features in one.

1 Like

In all fairness, this far down the line into the game - just get a mule and store whatever you want.

I think the weight issue in comparison to reality should have been addressed in Beta testing. Considering the inventory system has had a revamp since - I think we all know what to expect.

1 Like

Don’t troll, I said they have to be brought into proportion balancing wise, not according to their possible real-life weight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And that can be done while making sense as well, like: small = 5kg, medium = 10kg and large = 20kg, not the unrealistic way favoring even more hoarding.

Also, this whole topic is about realistic weight of weapons and while you suggested to apply that to other items as well, why give them ridiculous weights?

You do you. I wonder how many people would pick them up and use 'em if they had that weight…

What’s ridiculous about giving an item a weight that equals its use?

Here, read this again. I never said they have to be realistic, but in proportion to each other. having a light fuel cells weigh as much a large one does not make sense because one is the bigger version of the other. Thus, the bigger one of both should be heavier. All I wrote was under the point of in-game balance and proportion, I reject reflecting realistic values in the game for the sake of realism, It’s a game and needs balance.

Like i said above, this topic talks about realistic weight of items.

You may not agree that e.g a weapon should weigh 13 kg while you currently get away of it weighing only 2 kg, for the sake of having “balance”. However, suggesting unrealistic values in this topic, is topic derailment and at this point, i have two suggestions for you:

1. Stop any further derailment of this topic.
  2. And stop arguing with me over it.

This sounds like a very interesting idea. I wouldn’t need to eat, drink and sleep but I would accept it for a more realistic weight system where you really have to think what you’re carrying.
I imagine having the periodically request (not by me) base building system included but you would need at least 2 players to carry logs and such :joy:

Actually, the topic only mentions “Weight adjustments of weapons and other stuff”, not realistic weight adjustments, so Genoscythes input is as valid as anyone else’s.

What you say currently is different what knobitobi wrote in the initial post during creation of the discussion topic:

That line alone but also providing examples how much selected items actually weigh in real life, did set the discussion topic to - realistic weights.

Yes, everyone can disagree with proposed suggestion by providing counter examples if they like. However, since this topic asks for realistic weights, any further discussion about unrealistic weights, outside of the initial disagreement reply, is considered as off-topic. And any further off-topic chatter leads to a topic derailment.

To put it shot:
on topic: realistic weights
off-topic: unrealistic weights

2 Likes

So, with the updated plundra, is it time to get more realistic weights on weapons now?

So that your choice to sport a machine gun will actually have some consequences compared to using a assault rifle instead?

2 Likes