When do rivals spawn?

Ive been running around for hours and no sight of one. Do you have to be done with the main story or what?

Jomjom79

2 Likes

Rivals spawn when you kill lots of machines in one area. Machines that kill you can also become rivals.

1 Like

I was gonna ask the same question. Right now some of my areas on the map have “levels” - some are level 2 and 3 - but no regional rivals have spawned yet. Anybody know what level an area need to reach for a rival to spawn? :thinking:

After an area goes up to level 9 rivals will stsrt spawning

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know - a little high imo, since it’s not retroactive, and you now have to grind even more in each area for them to even spawn. Well, back to it I guess… :thinking: :no_mouth:

2 Likes

I’ve had Rivals spawn in the Farmlands Region at Level 6… Does it depend on the area, perhaps? If we could get some clarification on this, that’d be great. I may prod a dev about it tomorrow :slight_smile:

Got rival spawn in Marshlands after 30min of play, with friend. Around lvl 7.

Or maybe it’s just probability. Very low probability from level 5, and better chance as level increases?

Just to let you guys know, my character level is 10 , archipelago region level is 5 and there are no rivals but…at farmlands region after destroying 2 tanks 5 hunters and 12 runners a rival just appeared, and its only at level 3 so i don`t know

1 Like
  • How to make people stick with the game?
  • Make them grind more…

I’ve played 5 regions up to level 5-6 and haven’t had a single regional rival spawn. One personal rival spawned since I died once. So far I’m a little disappointed with this update.
I know once regions get to level 10 spawn chance is better, but this feels very poorly rewarding for experienced players… :thinking:
Oh and there’s no way in hell I’m gonna die on purpose for this!

My first Rival spawned in the Mountain Region. I figured I’d go there since I’d encountered so many machines there in the past. I got into a big fight, and suddenly the game told me a Harvester Rival had spawned right on the edge of the area map. You just have to keep murdering Machines for them to take notice of you, I think that’s the intent.

It would be cool if they actually came looking for you, though.

So from what I’ve understood you can play through to main and side missions and you may never actually encounter a rival? Well that’s disappointing

generally you will have to defeat robots to do the missions. Those might spawn rivals.
That said, no mission triggers the spawn of a rival.

Playing last night I had a rival spawn at level 4. It was a prototype hunter.

I might be missing something here, but - area levels? Never noticed anything like that before. Could somebody please elaborate?

On top of that, whoever designed the audio stinger for the “New Rival” announcement owes me a pair of boxers.

1 Like

Yes it looks like the higher level an area is , you have better chance of a rival spawning .

Ones you start to destroy machines in a region you should get a box in the lower right corner of the map, where it says Level, Score, and Active Rivals
So what is meant be area score is what the score is in that region, you can look at other regions scores by hovering the mouse over them.

[edit] if you haven’t been in combat in a region since the update, the box won’t appear until you do

1 Like

I am in the Marshlands at Anl 118 (-2366, -2597). There is a relay beacon I was trying to destroy. There were two tanks two hunters and about 12 runners. The area is level 3 and I now have a rival running around which was one of the tanks. The problem is that the other tank is standing right by the entrance to the hanger, which is open, and is dropping ticks every 20 seconds. The rival is now standing about 200 yards away and is not moving. I am listening to the tank dropping ticks as I write this and my only option at this point is to run like h*** throw flares and hope. The rival appeared after I destroyed the two hunters and three runners.