Corrupted Save File

Is there any way to modify a save file? The two main problems here are losing items and losing unlocked safehouses. The latter would not be a huge problem if it wasn’t for the game crashing while trying to reach new ones.

I had a similar problem. (Broken Savegame with Maincharacter) Create a new character and start the game with it. Once the world is loaded try to switch back to the original character. Worked for me.

2 Likes

Very interesting, and a very good tip if this works for others! :+1:

So my game crashed again, like is has a few hundred times before. Only this time the samegame got corrupted. As i knew this could be an issue I did not panic at first, I sipmly checked the forum and did what has worked for others, delete the savegame, make a copy of the .bac file and rename that savegame. Only it didnt work…

So now all my progress is gone obviously. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

You can use the forum search for this one. There are a couple of threads on this problem. Some might contain useful tips for you, potential recovery (don’t hang your hopes too high) and ways to prevent this in the future (e.g. backup scripts).

E.g. this one here:

1 Like

I play on my brother’s game, he played up to skill level 28. When he went to play, the save had corrupted. He now has lost everything. I have read this happens to a lot of people.
This is not good, why would it only save once, surely there should be several saves at different stages.
He is royally annoyed.
The dev team need to sort this out as you are losing long time players, he was about to buy the alpine rising, he said no way now.

Sort it out devs this is appalling, love the game but hey come on.

Unless you can provide some additional information about the issue, I’m not sure how it can get sorted out.

**Platform: PC **

Steps To Reproduce:
Game hanged. After killing the process the game won’t load the save game saying the file is corrupted.
Images / Videos: N/A

Host or Client client : Host

Players in your game: 2

Specifications: Game says it’s unable to restore corrupted save game and wants to delete the file to start a new game

We have copied the files to a backup directory so we need to know how to send the files to devs so they can do their magic to repair the files.

Thanks

A huge bunch of topics about the same issue have been collected into this thread.

Edit: Also poked devs about it for assistance.

//Mod

1 Like

Since the save game file format is proprietary, I guess devs have got some tools able to handle the format. It would be nice, if:

• provide us with the EXE we can use to repair the save game files
  • or web page to do the same
  • or provide us with a site where we can upload the files and they will fix the files manually.

Furthermore I would propose to change the saving procedure to include a timestamp-marked savegame file created by simply copying the existing savegame file before touching the current savegame file. As it looks now, the savegame.bac file got corrupted at the same moment the game crashed.

Stepwise in pseudocode:

1. VERIFY savegame
  2. COPY savegame -> Backup$DATE\savegame
  3. VERIFY Backup$DATE\savegame
  4. EXIT IF ERROR
  5. MOVE savegame -> savegame.bac
  6. VERIFY savegame.bac
  7. EXIT IF ERROR
  8. ALTER savegame
  9. VERIFY savegame

This procedure would ensure we always have 2+ backups and even if both savegame and savegame.bac got corrupted somehow, there would still be a plenty of older backups under Backup folder

Just my two cents

Dear Developers! Sorry that I’m writing kind of a ticket, but I couldn’t figure out any other way to contact you. I got a review copy of the game and started to play it on PC. I played like 6 hours without any technical issues, but at one startup, I did a mistake and closed the game window. (via alt+f4.) The crash sending app was working, but I closed it as well, since it was me closing the program, it did not crashed. But as it turned out, it was a really big mistake because by this I lost all my progress and character. I tried to reinstall the game since then hoping that maybe cloud saving will help, but reinstalling did not solved the problem. Is there any way I could get back my progress based on my steam progress, or did I totally mess it up and I have to start it all over?
Thank You for Your help!
Miklós Gerdelics
https://steamcommunity.com/id/themikka87/

Not a dev but Moderator on the Discord and a Community Tester.

Do believe you’ve completely lost the save there and to my knowledge there is no way to recover the progress.
Have you checked the save file location?

Thanks for the help! Sad to hear it though :frowning: Yes, I’ve checked it, but couldn’t figure out, if it is my original save file or a newly created one. I’ve made a copy of the save folder before reinstalling the game, maybe I should copy that back and check if it brings back the process… Thank You again for your help!

Yes try that out because that could be your old save file with the progress, its worth a shot.

Hi!
Thank you for reporting.

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. Please look at this thread and maybe we can get to the bottom of the issue. Settings Not Saving, Can't Continue Saved Game

Since my friend doesn’t talk english I’m doing it for him

Platform: PC

Steps To Reproduce: Unknown or randome
Once happen when closing normaly, second in a coop: The game froze and crash, my friend lost all progress while I was ok.

Images / Videos: None

He was the Host

Players in game: Velkiry

(I only hade once a crash but not a big of deal, my game name is Mrloot)

Addition to some bug encounter: Some of the loot box appear in some spot that appear reachable but there are not in any way lootable, happen under bed and container.

Hi!
Has you friend been able to save at all? If not, it is most probably his Anti Virus blocking the creation of saves. If he adds our exe to the AV as safe, he should be able to save.
Thank you for reporting and you seem to be a good friend. :slight_smile:

Hello,
Thanks for the compliment ^^
So, we done a other game recently after he inserted the game in the anti virus as none threatning. He also run a repair file as we run it on steam and after 2 hours of game he has the same result. He left the game normaly and came back without any save.

As the title. I wanted to play some more today but there was no CONTINUE game option just NEW GAME… Last time i played i had a system shutdown (not the games fault) and now my save is completely gone.

I want to like your game but damn i have to RE-DO 3.5 hrs of the same thing i just did. And im afraid next time im going to lose a 10 hr save.

Any way to restore my previous save? I know I have Steam Cloud Sync enabled. I tried to delete the “new game” save from my documents -> avalanche studios. On Steam restart it actually downloads a save but its the “new game” save not my 3.5 hrs one.

Is it lost? Should I just accept my fate and restart from zero? :confused:

im not an expert, but from what ive read, there is a lot of bugs to fix and such, im about 30 hours in and at most my game crashes or i lose a safe house that i traveled 2 hours for, i say give it some time and try again, on the positive side of things, you’ll know where to go to knock out missions and get better gear faster. :smile::+1:

1 Like