Level Caps Are Not Welcome & Here's Why

Hi,
For what it’s worth, unless I missed something, I wasn’t even aware of a level cap until I had attained it which messed up my plans for future skill points. Perhaps some form of warning that “there are only 30 points so use them wisely” on the skill page would help avoid what I did and overload two trees leaving the others empty.
Also on the question of no level cap causing the character becoming Overpowered is this not what occurred when level 6 experimental weapons were introduced?

OH yes.
Hence I am pleading since ever to have machine AI fixed.
And get new machine types…

Personally I don’t find the AI a problem, just about right for ME, as I prefer the adventure and collecting aspects of the game and the experimental stuff isn’t introduced until later in the game. My point is that some are arguing against removing the level cap because of OP while at the same time scurrying around trying to find the most powerful weapons. It seems odd to have one without the other. IMO

1 Like

I can only agree with that, sadly, sir…
Hence I am advocating for improved AI…

1 Like

At the moment I will try to play it as it is BUT WITHOUT THE CRASHES.

Do you know how many safehouses there are on the map currently?

New machine types would really be welcome and maybe some other adjustments to make them stand a chance in multiplayer. I did nearly all the missions in single player, because I wanted to have some challenge and really do everything by myself and I think the difficulty was pretty ok for that. Enough challenge but totally doable. Only the one where you have to defend the hotel on Himfjäll was too much for me alone. But now that there’s no more missions I’ve started to play co-op because there’s not much fun by myself without any kind of goals or places to see and now I’ve realized how ridiculously easy it is to take down basically any kind of horde of machines if there’s more players.

But I think that that is a completely separate issue. I think the ability to unlock all skills would give a lot more meaning to the game after you’re over with all the missions. At the moment I think for me it’s just mostly about collecting all the experimental weapons and I’m not sure if there’s anything interesting enough for me when I finally get the last one. But of course all this is just opinions, we all have our own things we like or dislike about the game and I guess there’s as many ways of playing it as there are players so I’m not sure how the majority feels about this.

I’ve tested not even using any of the points and leveling to 31, and if you’re knowledgeable of the game, it’s still fairly easy to take down the robots, the ability to use experimental weapons at lvl 1 makes it a lot easier to level new classes a lot faster in an already higher tier world, So yes I do agree with evolving the AI to a more defensive approach to our weapons and gameplay.

Also, completely off topic, I suppose, But the tech specializations are complete waste of points, it’s almost a waste of time spec’ing into those specializations, the engineer’s tick is nearly useless ( i can see this if there was a different mode where there was also pvp involved, but at current state the tick is 100% useless) and hacking from range, you can only hack 1 robot, and it seems even if you do mange to hack a hunter or a tank, the damage they do to the other robots surrounding them is a fraction of what we can dish out by ourselves with green tier weapons. However when they hit us, we’re strafing around bandaging ourselves a lot if we’re out in the open.

The only thing that urks me right at this moment is storage space. Not character storage, but the box itself. The 200lbs is pretty limited to what you can carry, especially if you have more than 1 character, and having to go to a different station to put our resources in is just plain dumb, increase the box size to 300lbs, and allow us to put everything into one place. This should offset having to put everything in the recycling station for resources that are only going to be used at the sewing machine… which again… doesn’t make any sense having 2 stations when you can have an overall crafting, recycling, and storage all together in one unit. You wouldn’t have to go to 3 different places then. This would also allow crafting at every safe house that had storage, rather than having to remember which one has crafting stations, and which one doesn’t.

1 Like

I’m new to the forum so forgive me if this thread is dormant. I agree with all you’ve said about the cap. I arrived at the position you take for the same reasons and by the same logic. Are the devs involved or aware of the topics in this forum? There’s a lot of good discussion here that it seems they would be interested to at least hear it.

You want to increase it, or keep it as is, sir?

Paul has acknowledged the level cap increase, and going by the “ do what the community wants “ mantra at Camp Avalanche, it is only a matter of time until we get a raised level, and XP increase.

The real question, is how is the skill tree effected in line with character builds.

I independently arrived at the position you take. Regarding the idea switching characters. That’s problematic at least on PS4. It involves exiting to the main menu, selecting a charachter, and responding. The most noticeable reason is that the process is too cumbersome to make the switch outside of a quiet moment during gameplay. Respawning is less apparent. Ultimately its the nature of programing. Any adaptive string is also reset. It appears the same by the fluud magic of psychology. But its not in the rigid rules of code.

I play on ps4 as well and the whole character switch thing is easiest done when stopping by a plundra to drop off loot. That way you pick up in the same spot. Just my thoughts👍🏼

I’m still with the devs here, they only recently said that they don’t want to simply remove the cap and allow everyone to become a super hero. If there is some new progression system it has to be meaningful while being balanced and catering to the ultra-casuals here would not be healthy for the game. The complete train of arguments by the OP feels unreasonable to me regarding the ‘muh I want all skills’ and the level cap, in its current state, makes sense and keeps the game balanced.

You can solo reaper on guerilla with level 31, and skill requirements should not be completely disabled by abilities, this is not a hackn’n’slash game where you push some buttons and things happen, but a shooter that requires a certain amount of mechanical skill and knowledge.

6 Likes

Well said, sir.
Full agreement here.

1 Like

Not quite. What Paul did say, was that they (devs) want it to be meaningful, not just adding more levels for the sake of more levels.

It was said in the latest dev stream, at 01:06:25: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/791718316?filter=archives&sort=time

That implies towards a situation where e.g: 8 new skills are added to the game but level cap increases 4 levels (to 35), giving all players only 4 extra skill points. Not enough for all new skills and certainly not enough to unlock all skills on single char.

Exactly, so they have acknowledged it is a feature they need to consider.

And given the current setup on feedback, I think an upgrade to the skill tree and level cap increase will come naturally early 2021

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Suggestion] Skill Tree Rebalancing

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Skills Respec please

What incentive is there to buy a DLC if my max level is set at 31?